Returnal - Information Thread, update: Digital Foundry PC Port Review - "It's Good, But Could Be Great"

SaysWho?

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Wait, it protects from power outages?!

That would have helped me two minutes ago. :( 

It does.  Xbox can be unplugged for however long, and it's all still stored and ready when its back up.  Only thing that interrupts the save state is a game update.  

I rewatched a replay of my first run, and the item that restores health when you are really low, was a HUGE savior for me.  It seems the game, no matter how little health you have, allows you to get hit that will put you at a sliver of health, as like a last chance effort to stay alive.  If you stay alive for a few seconds for your health to start regenerating, then the next hit will put you back at that sliver again.  Essentially giving you a ton of last chances.  I did not play the bosses very well and took a lot of hits that look like I should've died, but didn't.  

So it maybe an item worth picking up for dealing with on a Parasite if you see it.

3 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

It does.  Xbox can be unplugged for however long, and it's all still stored and ready when its back up.  Only thing that interrupts the save state is a game update.  

I rewatched a replay of my first run, and the item that restores health when you are really low, was a HUGE savior for me.  It seems the game, no matter how little health you have, allows you to get hit that will put you at a sliver of health, as like a last chance effort to stay alive.  If you stay alive for a few seconds for your health to start regenerating, then the next hit will put you back at that sliver again.  Essentially giving you a ton of last chances.  I did not play the bosses very well and took a lot of hits that look like I should've died, but didn't.  

So it maybe an item worth picking up for dealing with on a Parasite if you see it.

I always get that artifact or that parasite when I see it. Huge lifesaver.

Biomes 4 through 6 have been a bit easier for me. Not a breeze, and the strong enemy in Biome 6 took me by surprise, but because of the better weaponry and items at that point, I'm not encountering problems where I feel like an area is the bane of my existence.

Beat the game! Now I think maybe I'll do RE8 -> Returnal true ending and figure out how to get the true ending.

I beat the final boss in one try and did it without actually knowing how to chip away at its health. I just found out specifically what you're supposed to do, lol.

I'm honestly really curious about the true ending and I think I'm gonna really try to earn it. My guess is some combination of all ciphers and all the "lore" areas or something like that.

29 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Beat the game! Now I think maybe I'll do RE8 -> Returnal true ending and figure out how to get the true ending.

I beat the final boss in one try and did it without actually knowing how to chip away at its health. I just found out specifically what you're supposed to do, lol.

I'm honestly really curious about the true ending and I think I'm gonna really try to earn it. My guess is some combination of all ciphers and all the "lore" areas or something like that.

:clap:

• Thanks 1

Girlfriend Review loved it

Her favorite roguelike of all time and her second favorite sci-fi loop story.

It was her bf's favorite roguelike because it was the 3rd person Super Metroid he never got from Nintendo.

While they don't disclose spoilers, you'll see boss spoilers and story scenes that are probably better left as surprises.

Played through a bit more and after my first completion the game feels significantly easier.

One thing that I think contributes to that feeling is that I'm getting so much more stuff this time around. In your first runs there are all these areas that you can't reach, and they're generally not guarded, it's just free stuff for those who have gone through the game before. So I'm better at the game, making better decisions about what to pick up, the guns I find largely have better perks unlocked on them, and I'm getting more stuff per room I clear.

I'm undecided if all that is a good or bad thing. I guess I don't want the game to be as hard as it was at first, but it does seem slightly off that I'm breezing through it so much easier now.

Two questions for those that have made multiple full runs:

-Is there a way to skip the third boss?

-Is there a permanent upgrade that allows you to open the orange force fields?

14 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I mean at that point just restart your run if you want to skip it.  Fighting the same boss more often gives you more lore on their data log thing though.

And no doesn't seem to be.

25 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Played through a bit more and after my first completion the game feels significantly easier.

One thing that I think contributes to that feeling is that I'm getting so much more stuff this time around. In your first runs there are all these areas that you can't reach, and they're generally not guarded, it's just free stuff for those who have gone through the game before. So I'm better at the game, making better decisions about what to pick up, the guns I find largely have better perks unlocked on them, and I'm getting more stuff per room I clear.

I'm undecided if all that is a good or bad thing. I guess I don't want the game to be as hard as it was at first, but it does seem slightly off that I'm breezing through it so much easier now.

Two questions for those that have made multiple full runs:

My initial thought would be if you spent all that time collecting more artifacts, permanently upgrading weapon traits and alt-fires, and all of that, then making the game easier should be a reward.

Like, the first half of the game was EASILY harder for me than the second. Biome 5 would probably be the hardest if I had the same weaponry from Act 1, but since you have higher weapon proficiency, you're better prepared to tackle enemies and hazards. I kept thinking that the game was gonna take me 100 hours or something crazy like that based on the trouble I had with Biome 3, but it just didn't end up like that.

So for any of you who are still struggling: keep on! Your upgrades will pay the fuck off. When you die, you're just Agent K from Men In Black.

You're gonna get your gun back.

16 minutes ago, Joe said:

Is it worth it to fight Phrike over again? I just usually clear a few rooms to get upgrades and then portal over.

You get a lot of ether and you can put the item cubes you find into the device. I think it may be the only biome where that device is after the boss instead of before it, but I'm not sure.

You get more lore about the boss as well, but ether will be easier to find later in the game, so it's not required.

17 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

You get a lot of ether and you can put the item cubes you find into the device. I think it may be the only biome where that device is after the boss instead of before it, but I'm not sure.

You get more lore about the boss as well, but ether will be easier to find later in the game, so it's not required.

Boss's also drop a random Artifact when you kill them.

I always fight them.  They aren't hard once you know the patterns, and only help for later in the run.

20 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Shotgun stagger is some good shit.

The stagger and I felt it dealt with a lot of the smaller flying enemies that seem to be the most deadly the best.  Obviosuly they need to be at a decent range but being able to quickly one shot them on the move was very helpful.  Slug Shot helps with the longer range enemies as well.

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Something to know about the melee upgrade: it does more than lets you deal more damage to enemies. If only I had known. :| 

I found out by accident lmao. When I didn’t get it and that didn’t work, I was like no way it’s fucking that. I googled and sure enough it was!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Joe said:

I found out by accident lmao. When I didn’t get it and that didn’t work, I was like no way it’s fucking that. I googled and sure enough it was!

You know, I'm here blank-facing not figuring it out during the game, but I can put it to good use post-game while getting the true ending, so I guess whatever. :p 

I also forgot the tutorial which apparently taught you how to get these chests behind those walls.

Apparently a lot of people went the whole game waiting for a biome upgrade that was never needed. I don't even remember there being a tutorial on this. :nervous:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

You know, I'm here blank-facing not figuring it out during the game, but I can put it to good use post-game while getting the true ending, so I guess whatever. :p 

I also forgot the tutorial which apparently taught you how to get these chests behind those walls.

Apparently a lot of people went the whole game waiting for a biome upgrade that was never needed. I don't even remember there being a tutorial on this. :nervous:

I also figured that out by accident! I was just hanging around in like the 20th run in the first biome while talking to my wife. I was mostly just listening to her speak while absentmindedly exploring a room when I saw the switch. When I shot it and the gate opened, I started laughing and shouting hysterically and she was like wtf?

• Haha 1