Rockstar Games co-founder Dan Houser is stepping down in March

Commissar SFLUFAN

I'm torn on this. He's responsible for co-creating some of THE all time best games in the last 2+ decades, he's really conquered it all in his field. Deserving of retirement, if that's what he is intending to do. However, what about his brother? Not having that key component of magic alongside to create may dampen things going forward. Furthermore, is this actually him stepping away or is he being forced out somehow by share holders? How will this impact the company of Rockstar as well as Take Two Interactive (stock down more than 5 points since the announcement a couple hours ago!) as well as how will this impact games in development in the next few years' time such as GTA6, RDR3, Bully 2, and potentially a new Max Payne?

A whole lot to chew on for sure.

By all accounts the brothers Houser sound like borderline insane tyrants, so this is probably good overall for morale. Also Rockstar makes the most overrated, mediocre trash out there, so I'm sure people who like games that control poorly and play like absolutely middling third-person shooters will be utterly devastated. But I'm sure they'll still put excessive detail into minutiae like flip-flops flopping as someone walks.

• Guillotine 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

Well, Dan was focused on the story element in the games, which has been the best part of them. I don’t expect any changes to gameplay, just worse stories.

Maybe they'll steal less from Hollywood and come up with their own shit now? The story might've been the worst part, because half of it was straight out of other movies or predictable cliche bullshit. God, Max Payne 3 was such a pile of hot trash. Fuck Rockstar.

• Guillotine 1

8 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

By all accounts the brothers Houser sound like borderline insane tyrants, so this is probably good overall for morale. Also Rockstar makes the most overrated, mediocre trash out there, so I'm sure people who like games that control poorly and play like absolutely middling third-person shooters will be utterly devastated. But I'm sure they'll still put excessive detail into minutiae like flip-flops flopping as someone walks.

I wish I could “like” this 1,000,000 times!

12 minutes ago, Rodimus said:

Why leave? What better is he going to do next?

Something he actually wants to do? Not everyone constantly chases "better." Maybe he just wants to fart around all day, or, based on what we know about his personality, beat the shit out of his wife all day, who knows!

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

He has been on an "extended break" for the better part of a year.  I am guessing there is more to this story than Dan Houser wanting to retire.

This sounds alot like what happened to "The Benz" at Rockstar 3-4 years ago.

He's probably having health issues and doesnt want it dragged through the media for clicks.

1 hour ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

He's probably having health issues and doesnt want it dragged through the media for clicks.

That's one possibility.

The reports of a toxic culture at Rockstar Games came out several months before his sabbatical.  There have been numerous reports that the culture has been getting better.  This might also have something to do with that, or not.