~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Good to see the numbers creeping back up on vaccines. Not too surprising with school going back into session next month and a lot of offices bringing staff back in over the next month or two. Should see this trend continue for the next month and half at least.

This is one of the things I wish we had better communicators for. I see a regular stream of unvaccinated people mentioning that a vaccinated person still got Covid. The main goal of the vaccines has always been preventing severe cases and their resulting outcomes, but many people instead focused on how good they were at preventing infection in the first place. Obviously that is a nice bonus, but it leads people who might be persuaded to get the vaccine to then question the point as we see more breakthrough infections even though the least effective vaccines continue to do a remarkable job of limiting the damage from infection.

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

This is one of the things I wish we had better communicators for. I see a regular stream of unvaccinated people mentioning that a vaccinated person still got Covid. The main goal of the vaccines has always been preventing severe cases and their resulting outcomes, but many people instead focused on how good they were at preventing infection in the first place. Obviously that is a nice bonus, but it leads people who might be persuaded to get the vaccine to then question the point as we see more breakthrough infections even though the least effective vaccines continue to do a remarkable job of limiting the damage from infection.

And even that argument (that they don't prevent infection) has obviously been proven false—they reduce the chance of catching it by around 80-90% if fully vaccinated. But yes, the reduction in severe illness is the real bonus (though part of that reduction is also based on not catching it).

9 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

And even that argument (that they don't prevent infection) has obviously been proven false—they reduce the chance of catching it by around 80-90% if fully vaccinated. But yes, the reduction in severe illness is the real bonus (though part of that reduction is also based on not catching it).

There are two reductions in severe illness. One is a relative metric for infected people in the subgroups of vaccinated vs unvaccinated, the second is the overall reduction due to less total infections.

The first is the actual headline goal of vaccines, reduction is the worst outcome due to severe disease. If Covid were just the common cold, nobody would be worried and life wouldn’t have come to a grinding halt. 

OL coach is apparently at worst 150-200k a year in salary these days. Giving that up because you don’t want the vaccine is just incredible to me

9 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

OL coach is apparently at worst 150-200k a year in salary these days. Giving that up because you don’t want the vaccine is just incredible to me

OL coach at Ohio State makes 700k. I'd have to imagine he's making at least a comparable salary to that as the pay gap between top tier CFB and low tier NFL coaches isn't that great, but certainly not 500k lower than an amateur league coach at the same position.

But yeah to your point he's fucking insane for giving up that kind of money because he refuses to get vaccinated.

23 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

OL coach at Ohio State makes 700k. I'd have to imagine he's making at least a comparable salary to that as the pay gap between top tier CFB and low tier NFL coaches isn't that great, but certainly not 500k lower than an amateur league coach at the same position.

But yeah to your point he's fucking insane for giving up that kind of money because he refuses to get vaccinated.

Position coaches in the NFL have pretty crazy variances between the lows and highs. The average in 2020 was “only” $400k. But looking around more it looks like OL coaches are slotted more in the middle of the distribution with the QB at the highest and the various special teams position coaches on the bottom rung.

This guy in particular I’m seeing some suggestions he was likely to see a coordinator job in the near future, so the dopey move is even more costly as he’d easily be in the seven figures range with such a promotion.

5 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

Trolling live call in shows always brings me back to a junior high state of humor. It’s just funny on such a base level

15 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Oh look another one.

phil-valentine-usat-jc-210723_1627055347
ABCNEWS.GO.COM

A conservative talk radio host from Tennessee who had been a vaccine skeptic until he was hospitalized from COVID-19 now says his listeners should get vaccinated

Things are only real when they happen to me. 

The current right-wing conspiracy theory is that an anti-parasitic drug meant for livestock can cure COVID-19. My provincial government is actually having to put out press releases and tweets advising people not to take it.

So, you won't take a vaccine that has proven safe in trials (and has been given to something like 1 billion people without incident and saved millions of lives), but you will take a drug meant for cows without question.

• Guillotine 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

The current right-wing conspiracy theory is that an anti-parasitic drug meant for livestock can cure COVID-19. My provincial government is actually having to put out press releases and tweets advising people not to take it.

So, you won't take a vaccine that has proven safe in trials (and has been given to something like 1 billion people without incident and saved millions of lives), but you will take a drug meant for cows without question.

lol