~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

8 minutes ago, Commodore D said:

You need to visit the actually streets of the US if you think this an D v R thing. I could drive to Seven Hills (R, middle class white) right now, then through the Garden Valley (D, poor black) area and the activity level of people improperly practicing or not at all is the same. Actually did both last Friday and was surprised at the amount of activity in both areas, compared to where I live. 

Sometimes I wonder if the people on this board actually interact socially with random people (not for work) in real life, or are all your socialization based on the internet/TV. The pictures you all paint as everyday life are just not even close to my everyday. Maybe I just don’t live around or visit areas where there are a significant number of people that suck. 

Difference between what you think is a good idea vs what you actually do c'mon man

Ehhhhhh - I REALLY hate that question as to whether those activities are "safe right now" because if you asked me that, I'd answer that "Yes, I consider engaging in those activities to be safe right now."  

"Safety" is very much a relative term based on someone's perception of risk to themselves or to others.

But you didn't ask me the right question.  The question you should have asked me is "Even if you considered these activities to be safe, would you still support the limitations on them?"  And my answer to that is "Yes".

11 minutes ago, Commodore D said:

You need to visit the actually streets of the US if you think this an D v R thing. I could drive to Seven Hills (R, middle class white) right now, then through the Garden Valley (D, poor black) area and the activity level of people improperly practicing or not at all is the same. Actually did both last Friday and was surprised at the amount of activity in both areas, compared to where I live. 

Sometimes I wonder if the people on this board actually interact socially with random people (not for work) in real life, or are all your socialization based on the internet/TV. The pictures you all paint as everyday life are just not even close to my everyday. Maybe I just don’t live around or visit areas where there are a significant number of people that suck. 

What state are you in?

5 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I don't think anyone is arguing that there are areas or groups of D voters who would answer the same way...but statistically, as a population, there is real difference in opinion. So on the 70% vs 5% question, much of those 5% could be in a poor black area, for example (not saying that is true). But overall, it does appear to be an R vs D issue. Polling is quite accurate at a high level.

Just to note, I’m not really disagreeing with the polled opinions numbers, more so if that actually translate into reality. It doesn’t surprise me when they don’t, because more often than not, you get a certain type of person to answer those type of polls, and a certain type of answer because they feel it’s the proper one for their political position.

If that makes sense to you (I believe it should).

8 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

This is the theory I subscribe to, but there is also the (valid) theory that they catch it but don't spread it as easily due to lower viral loads. One study in Australia seems to support that theory, but we don't know for sure. However, even if they are only 1/2 or 1/4 as good at spreading it...you are still going to see spread if you cram hundreds of them together at a school. I work in schools...kids don't follow the rules.

Had to explain that to my buddy’s little brother, when in the fellas chat he said it was stupid that Dewine was closing schools. He doesn’t have kids, nor is ever around them, so I kind of excused it, but man, come on. 

6 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Ehhhhhh - I REALLY hate that question as to whether those activities are "safe right now" because if you asked me that, I'd answer that "Yes, I consider engaging in those activities to be safe right now."  

"Safety" is very much a relative term based on someone's perception of risk to themselves or to others.

But you didn't ask me the right question.  The question you should have asked me is "Even if you considered these activities to be safe, would you still support the limitations on them?"  And my answer to that is "Yes".

Locality as well. I personally wouldn’t go out to eat right now, but it’s relative safety would be FAR different compared to eating out in a hot spot. 

Lots of my more left leaning friends think lockdowns are great policy and make all sorts of exclusions for themselves, while lots of my right leaning friends a think it’s all overblown but wear masks when they go out.

People make no sense.

8 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

This is the theory I subscribe to, but there is also the (valid) theory that they catch it but don't spread it as easily due to lower viral loads. One study in Australia seems to support that theory, but we don't know for sure. However, even if they are only 1/2 or 1/4 as good at spreading it...you are still going to see spread if you cram hundreds of them together at a school. I work in schools...kids don't follow the rules.

That seems to go against logic to me... anyone who has kids of pre-school age will tell you that once those kids go to daycare or preschool or any environment where they are around other kids, the basically become little petrie dishes/typhoid mary's. They will sicken an ENTIRE household with a bug that they pick up in school and I see no reason why Covid would be any different. I WILL say that this mystery illness that they are linking COVID 19 that is similar to Kwasaki's disease? My nephew had that in late February... he wasn't hospitalized but he did have symptoms consistent with what is being described now. Fortunately no one else in the house got sick. We're not sure if that was linked to Covid but he was definitely sick.

There are also other variables of that question (my answers in parentheses):

• Do you think it is safe to visit a restaurant in your area (yes)
  • Regardless of how safe it is, would you visit a restaurant? (no)
  • Regardless of how safe it is, do you support restrictions on visiting restaurants? (yes)

My city of 220k hasn't had a case in a week or so, I think, and my province has had something like 100 in the last week, most of them in the far north. I would feel quite confident that I could visit a packed restaurant right now and be very safe (in terms of not catching it). However, I also want that restricted since all it takes is a week or two of that and then a single person can spread it to hundreds through that kind of interaction. 

3 minutes ago, Commodore D said:

Ohio, in Shaker Height specifically.

I would imagine that, that might have something to do with it the compliance you're seeing for a whole host of reasons. There are exceptions, but there is definitely a divide in the reaction to this covid thing depending on a person's political affiliation.

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Lots of my more left leaning friends think lockdowns are great policy and make all sorts of exclusions for themselves, while lots of my right leaning friends a think it’s all overblown but wear masks when they go out.

People make no sense.

People are very good at rationalizing bad behaviour for themselves. "Oh sure it's bad to speed, but I need to speed today because I am late." That sort of thing. Drives me nuts.

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

That seems to go against logic to me... anyone who has kids of pre-school age will tell you that once those kids go to daycare or preschool or any environment where they are around other kids, the basically become little petrie dishes/typhoid mary's. They will sicken an ENTIRE household with a bug that they pick up in school and I see no reason why Covid would be any different. I WILL say that this mystery illness that they are linking COVID 19 that is similar to Kwasaki's disease? My nephew had that in late February... he wasn't hospitalized but he did have symptoms consistent with what is being described now. Fortunately no one else in the house got sick. We're not sure if that was linked to Covid but he was definitely sick.

I think the idea (which, again, I don't subscribe to) is that in the case of SARS-COV-2, the virus sheds from the throat and lungs, and since it can't full take hold there, it is harder for children to spread. It definitely does seem that the greater the viral load someone is exposed to, the worse their outcome. But yeah, even if kids are much, much worse at spreading this virus, it will spread in schools.

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

People make no sense.

This is my experience. Everyone meets somewhere in the middle of "yeeaaah I don't wanna die but...this isn't really convenient" in reality no matter what their actual beliefs on the matter are. I've caught myself doing the same shit like an hour after raging against morons doing this or that in this thread. I'm clearly smarter, I know what to do, smug-smug-smuggidy-smug. Boredom is a hell of a drug.

And no, I'm not saying this in response to any polls at all.

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

I would imagine that, that might have something to do with it the compliance you're seeing for a whole host of reasons. There are exceptions, but there is definitely a divide in the reaction to this covid thing depending on a person's political affiliation.

Reaction, agreed, especially from the most extreme ends, as usual; but action seem to be at the base similar across the board. 

11 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

while lots of my right leaning friends a think it’s all overblown but wear masks when they go out.

People make no sense.

my boomer dad is like this.  wants stuff to open but hes 70 and will wear a mask to go to supermarket and shit.  even said i should wear one going to cvs or whatever and was surprised he would say stuff like that.  considering he watches the death cult channel fox news most of the day which says so what if people die for the almighty stock 

4 minutes ago, Commodore D said:

Reaction, agreed, especially from the most extreme ends, as usual; but action seem to be at the base similar across the board. 

Assuming this is true, then it is still damaging to have improper reaction from R voters. The reason is that R leaders (and weaker D leaders) are influenced by what the public expresses and puts pressure on. So if R voters as a monolith insist on opening up, say, football games, then eventually an R (or weak D) politician will. Then, perhaps, idiots from both sides will go the stadium and help spread the virus while a lot of people from both sides will stay home. The initial reaction is what allowed the opportunity, however. 

Just now, CitizenVectron said:

It's gonna be some bullshit solution like "yeah they confer immunity...but only if you let them bang you," and then that specific fetish community will end up as super-human overlords.

lindsey graham just perked up

• Haha 1

I don't know if I agree with that... there's far more compliance in places like NY, California and NJ regardless of party affiliation than in other places. Sure there are outliers, but it seems like if you're in a more... culturally conservative part of the country, you're less likely to comply with these measures regardless of your political affiliation for whatever reason. The opposite seems to be true in other parts of the country. There are plenty of right leaning areas in the states I mentioned and outside of Orange County in California, most are complying with the stay at home orders and approve of the actions their governors are taking. :shrug:

10 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Assuming this is true, then it is still damaging to have improper reaction from R voters. The reason is that R leaders (and weaker D leaders) are influenced by what the public expresses and puts pressure on. So if R voters as a monolith insist on opening up, say, football games, then eventually an R (or weak D) politician will. Then, perhaps, idiots from both sides will go the stadium and help spread the virus while a lot of people from both sides will stay home. The initial reaction is what allowed the opportunity, however. 

I don’t disagree with that. 

It would be interesting to see it put to real vote. 

Heck, things could change tomorrow and I’d probably vote differently than I would today.

Hey - my best buddy Anjon Roy found himself quoted in this Forbes article!

Rep. Stephen Lynch Introduces Bill To Address COVID-19 PPE Shortages Using Blockchain

Anjon Roy is Vice President of SIMBA Chain, a blockchain platform company formed in 2017 from a DARPA project to develop secure, un-hackable messaging with clients include government, commercial and non-profit entities. Roy commented, ‘It's much easier to provide transparency to detect the quantity and location of critical supplies with the use of blockchain’.

More broadly, Roy sees blockchain as a benefit to many Federal agencies looking at the supply chain. ‘...building trust and tracking supplies for relief in this pandemic is a very good use for blockchain. Anything with a supply chain is a good use case for blockchain,’ says Roy.

1 minute ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Hey - my best buddy Anjon Roy found himself quoted in this Forbes article!

Rep. Stephen Lynch Introduces Bill To Address COVID-19 PPE Shortages Using Blockchain

That kind of makes sense...until you realize the federal government is just taking supplies anyway and doesn't care if anyone knows.

43 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

This is going to be the Republican position going forward, isn't it? That *any* number is less than 2.2 million, and therefor a success.

I saw that coming a mile away. Fact checkers are gonna have their hands full with her I'm telling you. She is an unapologetic liar. Imagine a Kellyanne Conway but nowhere near as stupid.

Were past press secretaries so fucking deferential? I know they’re all mouthpieces, but I can’t remember Obama’s (or even W’s) saying shit like, ‘And it’s all thanks to President Obama’s leadership!’, it was always ‘we’ or ‘this administration’. 

Get ready guys, the latest right wing conspiracy is now the “Plandemic”!

I’m not going to share the YouTube video because I won’t let it get views, but here is the Snopes article talking about how she was arrested for stealing, not discovering a deadly virus in vaccines.

• Guillotine 1

Trump attempts to smear coronavirus whistleblower after complaint released: 'I hear bad things about him'

The quote reads like it was generated by Trumpbot.

"I never met Dr. Bright. I don't know who he is. I didn't hear good things about him. I did not hear good things about him at all. To me, he seems like a disgruntled employee that's trying to help the Democrats win an election," Mr Trump said on Wednesday.