Another 4K TV recommendation thread

I currently have a 70 inch Sharp Aquos 1080p tv which has been great, but it's time for 4k since I have the X1X and PS4Pro. I would like to stay at 70 inches, but could drop to 65 if that gets me a great value on a great tv.

Max budget is $3000 but would like to stay around $2000 unless spending a little more gets me a huge jump in quality.

Was actually looking at the Vizio P series as it sounds like you get good bang for the buck, but I can spend a little more for better quality if need be.

1 hour ago, mikechorney said:

After seeing an OLED in action, I couldn't imagine buying an LCD TV  (no matter what other marketing term they want to call it)

Agreed. Once I saw one in action I knew that I had to have one. 

However - if you watch a lot of sports or like to leave the news on for extended period...not the best choice 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, atom631 said:

Agreed. Once I saw one in action I knew that I had to have one. 

However - if you watch a lot of sports or like to leave the news on for extended period...not the best choice 

I have been using a Plasma for the last 10 years, so I think I'm good.  :)

Just need to wait for spousal approval to get the new TV in the Budget.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2018 at 11:28 AM, atom631 said:

Lots of deals on the new LG OLEDs @ 65". Ive seen that at 2400ish already from authorized reseller. If you dont watch a lot of sports or news.... its probably the best choice. Otherwise, look at the Sony 9XXf series. 

This.  Screw LCDs and jump into that OLED life.  It'll blow your socks off. 

Be aware if you're sensitive to input lag, those Sony sets are slightly above 30ms.  LG OLED sets are close to 20ms.  Samsung LCD's typically hover around 20ms as well.  

Sony is launching new LCD and OLED sets later this year with a new image processor.  Hoping it drops their input lag numbers down as I'd love to get a Sony OLED set over an LG one simply because they have the best image processing in the business. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, vaxick said:

Be aware if you're sensitive to input lag, those Sony sets are slightly above 30ms.  LG OLED sets are close to 20ms.  Samsung LCD's typically hover around 20ms as well.  

Sony is launching new LCD and OLED sets later this year with a new image processor.  Hoping it drops their input lag numbers down as I'd love to get a Sony OLED set over an LG one simply because they have the best image processing in the business. 

I have both the LG B7A and the Sony X900F. The input lag on the B7A is 21.6ms and the X900F is 24.2ms and I can't notice a difference between the two. Even input lag up to 30ms is very negligible. With the new TV's input lag shouldn't even be a problem in game mode. Even with certain settings on they all do well with gaming. They won't get close to monitors though which are in the 5ms range. 

Both the LG and the Sony are great TV's and serve different purposes due to the tech they are using. The LG has great colors and perfect blacks with a wide viewing angles but because of OLED burn in it isn't great to play certain games that have static HUD elements such as health bars or mini maps for long periods of time. Same goes with watching sports, news or certain TV channels that have the network logo at the bottom of the screen for a majority of the time. Luckily I notice a lot of games have setting to adjust the HUD like adding transparency or only bring up the HUD when needed. The Sony is great where the LG comes up short but it won't ever have the perfect blacks like OLEDs. It does have a great color gamut. It is brighter than the LG and it's better for bright lit rooms but has a limited viewing angles. I keep my LG in my bedroom and my Sony in the living room where it's bright and mostly used for watching sports or live events.

1 hour ago, vaxick said:

4k gaming is very good on the X900F, but 1080p gaming has serious lag issues.  It hovers around 40ms at 60hz with or without HDR.

Pssshh 1080p gaming :talkhand: What are you playing on it? A Switch :p Other than playing a Switch or old consoles the input lag shouldn't be a problem as both the PlayStation 4 Pro and Xbox One S/X up convert 1080p signals to 4k by the time the TV recognizes the signal. I just assume everyone that is getting a 4k TV for gaming has a capable 4k console or pc. 40ms when playing a Switch isn't a deal breaker. I don't think the competitive scene is the same as it is on other platforms. Except maybe Mario Tennis I suppose. 

Sounds like it's between the LG and the Sony. And that the LG will have a bit better of a picture, but a real risk of burn in, and I do play a lot of RPG's and watch a lot of sports. Just how great is this risk? Like a minor one, or real likely to happen with consistent static images? Sounds like I'd want the LG on overall picture quality, but would have to go with the Sony if the burn in risk is that high. 

40 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Sounds like it's between the LG and the Sony. And that the LG will have a bit better of a picture, but a real risk of burn in, and I do play a lot of RPG's and watch a lot of sports. Just how great is this risk? Like a minor one, or real likely to happen with consistent static images? Sounds like I'd want the LG on overall picture quality, but would have to go with the Sony if the burn in risk is that high. 

Rtings has been doing long term tests of OLED burn-in of various content types.  

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dodger said:

The risk is there. I get temp burn in every once in a while and it worries me. Luckily it has all gone away but I try not to have anything static on for too long. I suggest watching these videos to get a better idea of what burn is. You decide if it's a deal breaker.

• Like 1

You're experiencing image retention, not temp burn-in.  Image retention scared many of people away from plasma too because people were concerned an image would burn into the display when in most cases it'll vanish over time.  I've gamed on a plasma for 7 years now and my plasma is an IR magnet. I've had HUD's stuck on the screen for days to even a week before, but they always vanished in the end.  OLED's have a nice feature in that when the set is powered off, they don't actually turn off right away, you just think it did since the blacks are perfect.  In reality, it's scrubbing the screen to try to clean it of IR before it fully powers down.

The other thing about OLED, LG is working to make burn-in less of a reality with each new generation of OLED displays.  

While I don't own one personally as I'm waiting for HDMI 2.1 to move to 4k unless my ribbon cable on my plasma finally fails for good, my folks were early adopters of the LG sets.  They own a 1080p OLED model.  Every morning they run MSNBC on it for a few hours until the afternoon when the channel is changed or the TV is turned off and their set hasn't shown any traces of burn-in.

I'm jumping to OLED myself personally, but I'm a plasma owner so I know the risks and have my TV habbits trained to run content with no logos at the end of the day just to give the pixels some healthy content. 

If you want more opinions, I'd head over to the AVS Forums and ask fellow gamers over there what their experiences have been.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dodger said:

The risk is much greater if your viewing is primarily the "same content".  For example, if you only watch CNN, or if you only watch Football, or only play one type of RPG/multi-player shooter for hundreds of hours.

If you vary your content, you\re unlikely to get much beyond temporary IR.

I'm really happy with my LG OLED C7P65.I really want a PS4 Pro and a 4k Blu-ray Player with DolbyVision. HDR is awesome. I want more. I love when I play either movies wider than the screen or old games the back bars are so black it is like part of the TV that is not the screen.

I've been super happy with my 2017 LG OLED.

Image retention has not been an issue whatsoever.  While OLED's CAN have burn-in, they are far less susceptible to it than CRT's or Plasma's were.  LG OLED's also run 2 levels of automatic compensation cycle while the TV is turned off in standby mode after x hours of use that keeps image retention or burn-in risk minimal.  When detecting static images for a long time, LG OLED's will slowly dim themselves to reduce risk of image retention.  And apps like Netflix will go into a screen saver when paused for very long.

3 hours ago, Dodger said:

3+ grand for the new 65 inch LG doe, the Sony x900F is closer to my price range, unless I get a last year model for the OLED. Hmmm

So the OLED is better, but is it $1000+ better?

No good deals right now, but they were available for $2399 earlier this week.  If you're willing to wait until Black Friday, last year they were available in the $1,700 range (and they've been getting cheaper each year).

Anyone have any experience with the X900E vs X900F?

My parents want a new TV, I was going to give them my KS8000 and was just going to pick up the X900E.

I don't know if its worth the extra $300 for the 2018 model or not.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

You bought this right? How long is the shipping expected to take? I'm moving in two weeks and want it there asap in the week I have off to move. Hopefully this still have this deal when I'm ready to move.

2 hours ago, Dodger said:

I think I might have to jump on that. I really hope the burn in issues are overblown 

I think if you are careful on what you leave on there you will be fine. C8 should be much better at screen shifting & refreshing than the 2017 & 2016 models. If you want the best TV you go LG OLED. If you want the best LCD TV for your money you go Sony X900F.

2 hours ago, Nokt said:

Anyone have any experience with the X900E vs X900F?

My parents want a new TV, I was going to give them my KS8000 and was just going to pick up the X900E.

I don't know if its worth the extra $300 for the 2018 model or not.

I have had the X900E and now have the X900F. The X900E is an excellent TV. The biggest differences between the two are that X900F is slightly brighter, better local dimming, faster response time so better motion handling and less inputlag and Dolby Vision support. The difference in price last time I check was about a $1k (75") difference probably not that big in the 55"/65" range. I would go with the X900E if X900F is out of your price range. Both TVs are both great. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, The def star said:

I have had the X900E and now have the X900F. The X900E is an excellent TV. The biggest differences between the two are that X900F is slightly brighter, better local dimming, faster response time so better motion handling and less inputlag and Dolby Vision support. The difference in price last time I check was about a $1k (75") difference probably not that big in the 55"/65" range. I would go with the X900E if X900F is out of your price range. Both TVs are both great.  

Its just going in my room so it would be the 49". Its just a $300 difference (amazon/bestbuy).

I just went through Rtings comparing them. X900F seems like a slight upgrade in almost every category with a couple bigger jumps. It has a couple things it loses in, but they are small (not even .5 of a loss).

I went for the X900F just because it seems overall the better TV. I didn't really want to spend $1100, but whatever.

1 hour ago, Dodger said:

You bought this right? How long is the shipping expected to take? I'm moving in two weeks and want it there asap in the week I have off to move. Hopefully this still have this deal when I'm ready to move.

This is a different deal than what was originally posted in my other thread. I decided to wait for 2019 models as I rarely upgrade my TV and should wait for HDMI 2.1 next year.

These deals do not last long, whatever eBay lists as the expected arrival time is usually pretty accurate so I would suggest not waiting. :p