Google’s Stadia Launch Lineup

Brian

They have a server farm with effectively unlimited compute power and they can't get more than a dozen old games up for launch? That's pretty weak.

I feel like there are two possibilities. One is that publishers are wary of this kind of distribution method and haven't been excited to sign whatever deal Google is pitching them. Given that Google has relatively little in the ways of formal relationships with those companies it wouldn't surprise me, though I'm not really sure what the hang up would be. Maybe Google is trying some kind of novel payment model based on time played or something.

The other likely reason I can imagine is that Stadia requires more optimization time from devs than I suspected. If it doesn't work well unless you do a bunch of work, I can imagine very few devs are willing to put much effort into something that seems likely to be a pretty small user base. I also imagine Google is working with the few companies that are putting out games and that they have pretty limited resources to spread around.

25 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Are there any 2019 games in that lineup, or just older titles?

If that's the best they can do for launch, they won't be around very long.

GYLT is the only exclusive on the list and it’s already been reported that it will come to other platforms at a later date. 

Though we’re starting out on day one with the games above, there are more to come. Throughout the rest of 2019 we’ll be adding more titles*:

*  Dates Subject to change :shock:

"Coming in 2019"

Attack on Titan 2

Borderlands 3

Darksiders Genesis

Dragonball Xenoverse 2

Farming Simulator 19

Final Fantasy XV

Football Manager 2020

"Also Coming in 2019"

Ghost Recon Breakpoint

Grid

Metro Exodus

NBA 2K20

Rage 2

Trials Rising

Wolfenstein Youngblood

I am not sure why they split between "Coming in 2019" and "Also Coming in 2019"

Google Confirms All The Stuff Stadia Won't Have At Launch

The whole thread was a good reminder that much of Stadia remains as theoretical as it seemed when it was originally pitched during its reveal at Google’s GDC 2019 press conference. Also, a lot of its features are slated to arrive sometime next year, rather than on November 19 when the service goes live. Here’s a quick rundown of everything that won’t be available initially:

• Stream Connect, State Share, and Crowd Play, the main features that allow players to join in one another’s games and make Stadia more than just glorified remote play. “I expect the first game with Stream Connect to launch by the end of the year,” said Andrey Doronichev, Stadia’s director of product. “The games that support State Share and Crowd Play will be released next year.”
  • Stadia’s achievement system. The service will still record when you hit various milestones in games, but you won’t actually get notifications for them or see them displayed anywhere until “shortly after launch.”
  • The ability to use existing Chromecast Ultras to play games. At launch, only the Chromecast Ultras that ship with Stadia controllers will have the updated firmware required to stream games. “We will be updating the existing CC Ultra’s over the air soon after launch,” Doronichev said.
  • Family sharing. While parents will be able to control what their kids can access on their accounts, multiple people in the same house won’t be able to share games on the service until later on. “But it’s a high priority feature, we’re planning to launch early next year,” Doronichev said.
  • Buddy Passes. Founders Editions of Stadia are supposed to come with “buddy passes” so that people can give a friend a three-month Stadia subscription to play games with them, but those passes won’t actually be sent out until weeks after launch. “You’ll get your Buddy Pass about two weeks after you receive your bundle, barring some unknown unknowns popping up (never happens 😭),’ said Beri Lee who works on Stadia’s game publishing side.
  • The Stadia controller, at least for some people. Everyone who pre-ordered Stadia will get their codes to sign onto the service starting November 19 and will be able to play on their phones or Chrome desktop browser with a keyboard and mouse. However, the packages containing the controllers and Chromecasts will have staggered shipping, sent out in the order pre-orders were received. “I ordered my Stadia Founder’s Edition in June and my delivery date says November 20-21,” Lee said, offering an example. Another person commenting on the AMA said they currently had an estimated ship date of late November, early December. “[M]oving atoms is a bit more complicated and less predictable than moving bits,’ Doronichev said. “So the actual delivery date will depend on the mail truck, traffic lights, etc.”

So, basically, none of the cool stuff that people were sold on for Stadia will actually be there at launch.

I kinda don't understand why they're launching it at all right now. Are they trying to get a slightly larger user sample than they had with their beta? It really seems like the whole thing is unfinished and there's so little to do.

I feel like this is the kind of service that lives or dies on the idea that "it just works." If it was really as simple as "pick a screen, play a game," that's a value proposition that I think could be compelling. With all the barriers they have now, and with so little content behind them, it's hard to see how they think this is a worthwhile product to put out into the world.

• 2 weeks later...