Eurogamer: Four years after it was announced, Crackdown 3 is in a tough spot

SaysWho?

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-07-04-four-years-after-it-was-announced-crackdown-3-is-in-a-tough-spot

The new Crackdown has soldiered through a number of challenges in development, many of which are a familiar story in the video game industry. We've heard Jones' ambitions for the game - tantalisingly outlined at big media shows such as Gamescom - were simply too big to be made a reality in a fully functional, multiplayer environment on Xbox One. We've also heard Crackdown 3 has struggled in terms of solidity of vision and lacked clear management. As one person familiar with the project put it, who was and wasn't working on the game was a source of many past and present issues.

Jones' eye-catching demo that showed impressive destruction tech in a multiplayer Crackdown-themed environment, it turns out, was only ever about showing off the potential of the cloud. It was never intended to represent gameplay gamers might actually get to experience.

"That was an example of the kind of thing you could potentially use cloud to do," Jones told Eurogamer. "It was not vaporware. It's there. It's real. That's why I say, I think cloud still has a huge part to play in the future of gaming."

At points throughout the last 12 months I'd heard from some within the UK video game development community that Crackdown 3 was in danger of being cancelled as a result of its apathetic reception among gamers and its development troubles. Xbox boss Phil Spencer, himself a fan of the first Crackdown game and the person who gave Crackdown 3 the green light, told Eurogamer that he decided to delay Crackdown 3 after playtesting the latest build.

After Microsoft decided to delay Crackdown 3 yet again - the final time the company is willing to do so, I've heard - some of the developers at the various studios on the game were faced with continuing to work on the project after having previously thought they'd be done with it in June 2018 - this for what some expect will be a disappointment of a release no matter how much money and resources Microsoft throws at it.

Jones' eye-catching demo that showed impressive destruction tech in a multiplayer Crackdown-themed environment, it turns out, was only ever about showing off the potential of the cloud. It was never intended to represent gameplay gamers might actually get to experience.

Calls to mind the repeated Microsoft dictates driven by hardware and business decisions that led to the implosion of Lionhead and Fable.

33 minutes ago, Dre801 said:

Never saw the excitement.  You got one pretty good  game followed up by one not so good, so why be so hyped for the 3rd game?

Also, as Wade joked, the genre has lapped Crackdown several times in the intervening years. At the time of the original's release it was new and fresh enough that flaws could easily be overlooked. 

What made Cracked so fun, using a whole city as a superhuman playground, is now fairly common. It's hard to distinguish yourself even when your dev cycle isn't a dumpster fire

15 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Calls to mind the repeated Microsoft dictates driven by hardware and business decisions that led to the implosion of Lionhead and Fable.

Also, as Wade joked, the genre has lapped Crackdown several times in the intervening years. At the time of the original's release it was new and fresh enough that flaws could easily be overlooked. 

What made Cracked so fun, using a whole city as a superhuman playground, is now fairly common. It's hard to distinguish yourself even when your dev cycle isn't a dumpster fire

I know some games get bogged down or have unfortunate moments in utilizing the advertised features of a console (like the motion controls in R&C: Tools of Destruction, the one eh part in an otherwise very good game), but I feel this got bogged down hugely by ambition more than other games with the cloud computing, which is totally going to be a bigger reality in online games but isn't quite there yet.

6 hours ago, Dre801 said:

Never saw the excitement.  You got one pretty good  game followed up by one not so good, so why be so hyped for the 3rd game?

I liked the idea of being able to bring down a skyscraper with a rocket launcher and it would have realistic physics when it came down. I can't think of many other games like that except for Red Faction series.