Westworld: Season 3 - Official Trailer

I'm glad the scope of the show looks to be expanding significantly in season 3 since season 2 seemed content to alternate between tired sci-fi cliches and being deliberately obtuse to try (and fail) to confuse reddit.

• 6 months later...

Couldn’t make it through the second season. Very disappointed after how much I loved season 1. I’ll keep my eye on the reaction to season 3 and see if I should bother finishing season 2.

Surrendipitous that I finish season 2 finally and only a few hours later this amazing new trailer drops. Definitely one I am anxiously awaiting to be sure.

As for those that haven't finished the second season, I ask why that is from your own words? Myself, between the week to week format and the alternating timelines it was just all SO MUCH for me, but as I've had the day to really think about how it all wrapped up, as well as admittedly going into a few breakdown type videos, I'm super happy with where the show is headed.

• 4 weeks later...

If the first episode is indicative, Season 3 feels like a whole different show. It's still got multiple puzzle boxes and some strong themes around free will and loops, but leaving the park seems to have done wonders for the show. Previously, the only human characters were the uber rich jerks who visited the park or the people running it. While there's still a good amount of time spent with terrible rich people, we get some time with actually empathetic people. We see people at a meat farm and Aaron Paul's Caleb working construction.

The vision of the future is wonderfully realized, if limited in some ways. The opening sequence shows us an idealized AR/VR set of completely normal looking glasses, but at the same time phones and earpieces feel very much from today. They hint at pervasive monitoring, changes in travel and cultural spread, changing skylines, and a tech company with an AI that even they don't understand that seems to do everything for everyone? 

I feel like the world building really was the standout feature of this episode. It was beautifully shot, but it was mostly setup. I'm very excited for what Season 3 will bring. It does look like we're going back to the park, but I hope they don't spend too much time there. I like Maeve and Bernard is the best, but now that I've seen the real world, I don't want to backtrack.

I already have SO many questions after this initial episode. That sense of wonder, yet tinted with a foreboding sense of "What IS real?" throughout every scene. Next week we get Vincent Cassel which is always great, not to mention Tommy Flanagan will still be around (but WHO IS HE REALLY!?!?)!

Finally got around to watching the new episode. Man, I'm so lost. It was awesome but I can't remember for the life of me what happened during season 2 other than Dolores making it out of the park. SO lost on what's going on with Bernard and Maive. I need to watch a season 2 recap. lol

The second episode didn't feel quite as expansive as the first, probably due to them being stuck in the park the whole time. It kind of felt like a bottle episode, even though they moved between characters and settings, real world and simulation. Thankfully, it doesn't seem like they'll be spending too much time in the park, and I'm glad Bernard has a buddy to share his adventures with.

I like that they brought back all of Maeve's crew. Just seeing them walking around was enough to make me wonder what was going on.

I'm glad that it doesn't seem like they're creating season long puzzle boxes so far. The mysteries in episode two were largely revealed in the episode, and I feel like the bigger questions being asked of viewers are pretty straightforward. It's not "what is the forge" or "what is the maze," it's instead very straightforward mysteries like "who has access to the big computer and what is it doing."

I KNEW IT!

Advanced issues found

🤓

Spoiler

I was really convinced of this whole Wyatt thing and that being who was in Dolores body and Dolores being in Charlotte but when Jeff and I were talking about it over dinner on Sunday, I mentioned how there aren't 5 people she trusts to have brought out in pearls. So jokingly I said, watch them all just be copies of her. Ha!

It really does make perfect sense and I was so giddy and happy for that to be the case last night. I'm so excited for where the show is going.

I thought it was Teddy originally too but since he got sent to robo-utopia, I figured Dolores had to have made a copy of him if so. Which then made me think, why wouldn't she just copy herself? Cause for the life of me I couldn't think of 5 people she trusted enough to make pearls of and take with her. I jumped off the couch in excitement at the reveal. lol

• 2 weeks later...

This season has been excellent so far. The first episode had the benefit of showing off this vision of the future, but I think the season has done an excellent job of expanding on that. You can see where they cut corners for cost at times, but overall I think they've done an excellent job. 

I really liked the idea that Halores (?) was diverging so much from OG Dolores, and in particular the idea that the real Hale wouldn't have checked up on her kid.

Yes, there continues to be mystery in this season, but it's largely done away with the giant puzzlebox feeling, but it continues to explore the same questions and themes. That combined with the greatly expanded physical locations makes it feel like a whole new show. I miss Hopkins, but overall the show has greatly benefited by breaking out of its shell.

5 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I really liked the idea that Halores (?) was diverging so much from OG Dolores, and in particular the idea that the real Hale wouldn't have checked up on her kid.

I'm going to call her Charred-lores. GET IT?

But seriously, while that was an interesting line that gave her away, when she was in Westworld and things were going to shit, she left a message for her son, remember? So I think there is more to that.

31 minutes ago, Brick said:

Halores could have rebutted with a "how dare you question my love for my son especially after I almost died, you miserable French fuck" or something like that, but eh we got a cool couple scenes from it. 

If the assumption is that the computer knows what that person would do, I don't think there's much room for protest.

20 hours ago, TwinIon said:

This season has been excellent so far. The first episode had the benefit of showing off this vision of the future, but I think the season has done an excellent job of expanding on that. You can see where they cut corners for cost at times, but overall I think they've done an excellent job. 

Yes, there continues to be mystery in this season, but it's largely done away with the giant puzzlebox feeling, but it continues to explore the same questions and themes. That combined with the greatly expanded physical locations makes it feel like a whole new show. I miss Hopkins, but overall the show has greatly benefited by breaking out of its shell.

Yeah, I agree with this. It's been a pretty good season so far!

28 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Apparently Lisa Joy and Jonathan Nolan are looking to do six seasons. Without a real GOT successor, it seems AT&T is willing to spend a bit more than previously anticipated, so maybe we'll get them.

I'm skeptical they'll get all six (I thought they might not even get a fourth), but I'm thinking they may be in for the long haul as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

The season 3 finale was last night and while I liked some of it, much of it fell pretty flat.

I think it makes sense that the military would use one of the parks for training, but it didn't seem particularly exciting that Dolores picked Caleb because he didn't want to rape her. Even less impactful was the idea that all the hosts were copies of Dolores. She was the first working host, they copied her to make the others, so the kernel of Dolores is in the other hosts, but so what? The linux kernel might run on everything from super computing clusters to phones to headphones to microwaves, but they're pretty distinct. We're meant to understand that Halores diverged rather quickly from Dolores Prime just over the course of this season, so even if all the hosts started out as Dolores clones to some degree, it doesn't really seem to matter at all.

Then you have Serac just being a human bluetooth speaker for Rehoboam. It didn't really matter. We already knew that Serac believed entirely in following Rehoboam's plans for the human race, that Serac would just decide to parrot whatever he was told didn't seem like a huge or exciting leap for a man willing to put his brother on ice because his computer told him to.

This is relatively minor, but it kind of annoyed me that they kept talking about free will. While free will was a real question for the hosts, I never really thought that's what this season was about. Rehoboam wasn't directly controlling people, it was just relying on the idea that most people are inherently predictable. He was a giant probability engine, manipulating individuals and world events to increase likelihoods.

I'm also not really sure I ever really bought into anyone's motivations, except for Serac's. I suppose I understand what everyone else was trying to do, but I never really cared. William in particular seemed like a waste this year. He might have been more effective if we only saw him in the reveal at the end.

There really was a lot to like about the acting and the production of this episode and this season, but even in terms of Westworld reveals, I think this finale failed to deliver.