San Francisco passes ban on e-cigarette sales, a US first

CNN)San Francisco will become the first US city to effectively ban e-cigarette sales, after the city's board of supervisors voted in favor of an ordinance Tuesday.

The ordinance says "no person shall sell or distribute an electronic cigarette to a person in San Francisco" unless that product has undergone premarket review by the US Food and Drug Administration. To date, none have.

This includes sales in brick-and-mortar stores, as well as online sales shipped to a San Francisco address. The ordinance also applies to flavored tobacco products in addition to e-cigarettes. The measure does not ban the use of vapes among people 21 and older.

This puts San Francisco -- where leading e-cig maker Juul Labs is headquartered -- at the center of a tense debate. 

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/25/health/san-francisco-e-cigarette-ban-sales-bn/index.html

After seeing the news story on the kid losing teeth and shattering his jaw when it exploded on him. I support the measure until something is overseen safety wise into these things. They say the won’t allow online sales/shipping, but there is always an online way to get around it. So I don’t see it really hurting these companies profit wise. 

8 minutes ago, silentbob said:

After seeing the news story on the kid losing teeth and shattering his jaw when it exploded on him. I support the measure until something is overseen safety wise into these things. They say the won’t allow online sales/shipping, but there is always an online way to get around it. So I don’t see it really hurting these companies profit wise. 

but smoking is supposed to make you cool and look like a badass.  If they cant handle a little explosion they shouldnt do it

Spoiler

:p

From what I recall, the FDA originally set a very short deadline to pass all FDA safety protocols.  The story was that most vape makers would have gone out of business because they were too small to get through the process so quickly. The FDA gave these companies an extension to 2022 from my understanding. That means all vape products are under fda jurisdiction, but the devices haven’t had to get through the whole process yet.  I have never used a nicotine vaporizer, but I think it’s in our interest to have them be as safe as possible. Maybe 2022 was too long, but if they had stuck to their original deadline, it would have handed the industry over to large established tobacco companies. So I guess I’m conflicted. 

The FDA also seems to be acting far too slowly regulating cbd extracted from hemp. This stuff is legal even in Texas now, but there’s no over sight on what’s in these products. Texas will at least have some basic regulations soon. 

1 hour ago, SilentWorld said:

wat

Hemlock

This is one of the most famous poisonous plants in history — it's the flora responsible for killing Socrates. All parts of the plant contain the relatively simple alkaloid coniine which causes stomach pains, vomiting and progressive paralysis of the central nervous system.

Hemlock is also known by several common names, including devil's porridge, beaver poison or poison parsley.

https://www.mnn.com/your-home/organic-farming-gardening/photos/13-plants-that-could-kill-you/hemlock

13 hours ago, Firewithin said:

but smoking is supposed to make you cool and look like a badass.  If they cant handle a little explosion they shouldnt do it

Hide contents

:p

The irony in vaping’s case is that it makes you look like the total opposite of a badass.

I guess an exploding vape would look a little more badass, to be fair, but...

9 hours ago, SilentWorld said:

I know what hemlock is. I don’t get the connection between hemlock and vaping marijuana.

A frequent refrain for the legalization of marijuana is that it’s just a plant, it’s natural, etc. That’s true of course, it’s just dumb. Same with people saying vaping is just water vapor.