Democratic panel to open debate on reparations for slavery

@sblfilms @skillzdadirecta

Just as a thought exercise, if given the opportunity to do so, how would you respond to Coleman Hughes's position on reparations as described in his testimony today?

Should America pay reparations for slavery? Ta-Nehisi Coates v Coleman Hughes

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jun/19/reparations-slavery-ta-nehisi-coates-v-coleman-hughes?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

@SFLUFAN Honestly I would respond to Coleman Hughes pretty much the same way I responded in this thread... I've known many Coleman Hughes in my life and they think that because they have a bunch of white friends and grew up in inclusive environments, that there's some way to achieve racial equity in this country by "winning over" white people who re resistant to it. he's worried about "dividing the country". One the country is already divided and Two... the only way to move forward is by confronting that division head on. Like the Civil Rights activists and abolitionists did before them. He's on some Professor X shit and while I don't advocate going full Magneto, I DO think that trying to soft shoe the issues and "play nice and respectable" hasn't worked and won't work. Racism needs to be called out unequivocally and unapologetically.  Somehow we've entered an era where we are actually afraid to offend racists and calling racists racist is somehow racist :lol:

I agreed with giving money to the survivors of the Japanese American internment camps - they were directly affected by the government's cruelty and unconstitutional actions. But with slavery reparations, everyone who was directly affected has been dead for decades - the last living American slave  died in 1971.  That isn't to say more needs to be done to work on the lasting effects of slavery and the jim crow era, but I don't believe reparations are the right answer.  Ending the war on drugs, investing in inner cities and education, and other things of this nature will help out black communities than reparations. 

19 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

I agreed with giving money to the survivors of the Japanese American internment camps - they were directly affected by the government's cruelty and unconstitutional actions. But with slavery reparations, everyone who was directly affected has been dead for decades - the last living American slave  died in 1971.  That isn't to say more needs to be done to work on the lasting effects of slavery and the jim crow era, but I don't believe reparations are the right answer.  Ending the war on drugs, investing in inner cities and education, and other things of this nature will help out black communities than reparations. 

Define "Directly affected". Every Black Person in this country has been "Directly affected" by slavery and the institutions that came after it that reinforced the exploitation of black people by the government. Mass Incarceration, The War on Drugs and the deliberate dumping of drugs in the inner cities in order to fund illegal wars, Redlining... these all happened AFTER Slavery and had a detrimental on the black community in this country up to and including MY generation which came up during the war on drugs and the crack epidemic.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

...who is "we"?

You know what she means by"We".

After praising McConnell’s remarks, Reilly stated that the logistics of paying reparations would be far too difficult before wondering if Native Americans would then be next to request compensation over their treatment.

“I mean, obviously both white and black soldiers, frankly, took this country from the Indians—the first people,” Reilly added.

“People would argue that the whole world, and I would, the whole world has been reshaped by people taking other people's land,” Ingraham weighed in. “It's called conquest.”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/laura-ingraham-dismisses-reparations-no-do-overswe-won-you-lost-thats-that

On 6/19/2019 at 12:59 PM, SFLUFAN said:

Slavery underpinned the very foundations of American capitalism in both the South and the North.  I suggest reading this impressive book to comprehend the full extent of that reality.

The Half Has Never Been Told: Slavery and the Making of American Capitalism

Thanks for the recommendation. It shall soon be on my Kindle. :twothumbsup: