The Outer Worlds - Information Thread, update - "Spacer's Choice Edition" announced for $60 ($10 if you already own base game + both DLC expansions)

• 2 months later...

Patch 1.3 has been released!

The next time you launch The Outer Worlds, you should see Patch 1.3 ready for downloading and installing! The patch has been released for players across all platforms, and it is required in order to fix specific issues and apply any changes included. If you do not see this update right away, please know that it may take some time to populate and become available.

Changes/fixes that are included in this patch are as follows:

Top Community Requests:

• Added a setting to adjust the size of text throughout most UIs
  • Updated font colors to improve visibility
  • Updated NPC corpses to remain interactive even when they have no items to loot
  • Added support for ultra-wide monitors (loading screens & cinematics)
  • Added the ability to toggle sprinting so the player can continue moving without holding any buttons
  • Added functionality to see beacons for inactive quests while viewing maps
  • Added an option to show the HUD reticle only when aiming down weapon sights

Audio:

• Fixed an audio inconsistency with skill button presses

Design:

• Fixed an issue where the Extra Paranoid flaw debuff could become permanent after fast-travelling out of a restricted area
  • Improved the quality of item drops when killing Manti-Queens
  • Fixed an issue where corpses would consume Adreno from their inventories
  • Increased the rate of casual clothing items dropping in containers and in townie NPC inventories
  • Fixed an issue with some SuperNova effects being removed when entering conversations
  • Fixed the effects of Encumbrance not working correctly with the Confidence Perk
  • Fixed an issue where the player could become immune to melee damage after dodging through Raptidon spit
  • Fixed the Level 40 Inspiration unlock not working correctly after level transitions
  • Fixed an issue that caused players suffering from Hunger, Thirst, or Exhaustion to die instantly when using the Electro-Charged Surface armor mod and equipping a melee weapon

Quests:

• Fixed an issue where players could not speak to ADA if they neared the end of the game without any companions

Settings:

• Added a setting to invert the X-axis

UI:

• Fixed an issue that could cause players to be permanently stuck in the Modding UI at a workbench
  • Locked doors will now show the name of the corresponding keycard if the player doesn't have the skill or mag-picks required to pick the lock
  • Fixed the player's level being incorrect in the Vendor UI
  • Fixed an issue where gamepad users could become permanently stuck in the inventory menu
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the image of the player to briefly disappear from the inventory screen
  • Fixed formatting issue with colons in French localization
  • Fixed the AoE Radius stat on flamethrowers displaying as 0
  • Fixed an issue with Japanese and Chinese characters not displaying correctly when the language is set to Korean
  • Fixed an issue with nonfunctional UI prompts when modding items with a single mod slot
  • Fixed an issue in the Japanese localization of Vending Machine text
  • Fixed an issue when trying to break down items directly from containers
  • dded an option to trigger the Idle Camera from the Pause Menu
  • Fixed the Chromatic Aberration setting not saving
  • Fixed Adreno not auto-equipping in the Medical Inhaler correctly if the player was completely out
  • Fixed the tutorial for the Emergency Medical Inhaler repeatedly being marked as Unread

General:

• Fixed a rare crash when starting a new game
  • Fixed a potential crash after using all of your Adreno and picking up more
  • Fixed an issue causing duplicate stacks of Adreno to persist in the inventory
  • Fixed a rare crash when transitioning between levels
  • Fixed an issue where certain delayed events could occur in a new playthrough after being triggered in a previous playthrough
  • Fixed a rare crash when opening the Inventory
  • Fixed an issue where players would be instantly killed when fast travelling off of a ladder

• 2 months later...

Outer Worlds on Switch: A monumental, messy conversion on weak hardware

But the real crux of the Switch port is that a lot had to give to get this game anywhere near a 30fps refresh. The gallery at the top of the article is damning stuff.

Last year's Witcher 3 port on Switch was a masterwork in optimization, designed to preserve as many polygons, as much lighting, and as high of texture quality as possible—with its major concession coming from a reduced resolution across the board. The Outer Worlds, in comparison, takes a sledgehammer to the game's visual quality, with the most obvious downgrade coming from texture quality. In massive outdoor scenes, the game's presentation borders on N64 levels in terms of fuzzy, low-res textures all over rocks, trees, and foliage.

Even with higher-res assets, the game's aggressive level of detail (LoD) system turns anything outside of a six-foot radius into a smeary mess. (Should you need help abiding by CDC guidance about safe distances during the COVID-19 era, this game's blur threshold could prove educational, at least.) While some signs and logos are clear and readable once you get close enough to them—and thank goodness, since the game's personality is rooted in these artistic touches—many others suffer from unmistakable resolution downgrades.

One particular bummer is that the textures applied to human faces originally split the difference between realistic and exaggerated, particularly in pock-marking the cheeks and jawlines of those who live in the game's corporate-run dystopia. This port, handled by the international studio Virtuos, is a brute-force downgrade of the original assets, and that's not great news for the hundreds of tight zooms on NPCs' faces during conversations. The results are tolerable at best and gross at worst. On top of that, real-time light bounces and shadows are disappointingly low-res throughout the entire adventure.

But even the "great for portable play" sales pitch suffers from a big issue: Obsidian has opted not to include any form of cloud-save support. You can't transfer your progress from the Switch version to any other console or PC version, or vice versa. (This pales in comparison to cloud-save support for the likes of Witcher 3 and Divinity: Original Sin 2.) And that makes the visual downgrades much tougher to suggest for anyone who owns other ways to play this game at home.

I was chipping away at this game, I was excited to come in here to say some things about the game. But as you know (or don't) but I've said it a thousand times by now. My PSU died so I can't play it for a while.

Something I did want to say though, a lot of criticisms about picking up every trinket being useless. There is a flaw you can accept that makes you have to eat every so often otherwise your skills will decrease. I took it and it made the game a lot more interesting to me. I actually have to eat the meat I take off bodies or food out of vending machines.

46 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I was chipping away at this game, I was excited to come in here to say some things about the game. But as you know (or don't) but I've said it a thousand times by now. My PSU died so I can't play it for a while.

Something I did want to say though, a lot of criticisms about picking up every trinket being useless. There is a flaw you can accept that makes you have to eat every so often otherwise your skills will decrease. I took it and it made the game a lot more interesting to me. I actually have to eat the meat I take off bodies or food out of vending machines.

You could play the Pentium III version on Switch 

7 hours ago, maddux4163 said:

Woah really? You can have my old one. But I must warn you, it’s dead..... 

Yeah it's fucked, I had a hell of a time finding one just yesterday cause I need one that supports 2 8 pin pcie connectors for my new video card, and the options were really bad and I just said fuck it and bought one that was 250 dollars cause it was the only one that was from a good manufacturer that had all the options I wanted and I could get in a couple days, lol. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/2/2020 at 5:40 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

You're not out of the first area yet?

I finally got out of the first area but I ended up not getting the first companion. Now I have been working on the station on the lower floor. I hate accidentally dieing and having to reload and load again for the elevator...

9 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

I finally got out of the first area but I ended up not getting the first companion. Now I have been working on the station on the lower floor. I hate accidentally dieing and having to reload and load again for the elevator...

Not that any companion is super awesome but you'll probably want to get her so you can do her companion quest.

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

Ah, woops. Well I guess you'll never get her.

Why would you decline?

On Supernova  if they die they stay dead. I figured I could have picked her up later after I got better at playing. It wasn't until I couldn't find her that I looked it up.

I figure I could play it again on PS5 hopefully without these load times. I'll not make that mistake again. 

1 hour ago, Remarkableriots said:

On Supernova  if they die they stay dead. I figured I could have picked her up later after I got better at playing. It wasn't until I couldn't find her that I looked it up.

I figure I could play it again on PS5 hopefully without these load times. I'll not make that mistake again. 

Well, knowledge for next time I suppose: Once you recruit them you get to choose when you take them out with you. So you can recruit them, if you think they will die don't take them with you on the mission.

Later when everyone is dropping like top tier flamethrowers and heavy plasma stuff they can do pretty well by themselves. :p

11 hours ago, ARZ said:

There are 2 companions on the first planet, aren't there? Thought I had 2, but it's been a LOONG time since I played.

I think the second one you meet very early on on the second planet, Max.

Speaking of which I finished up his companion quest which seems like the best one so far. @Remarkableriots if you're going to do a companion quest make sure it's for Max. :p

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The expansion is out today

New:

• Necessary files to The Outer Worlds, Peril on Gorgon have been added.

General:

• Fixed an issue where unique items wouldn't be for sale if the player visited the vendor before reaching a certain level
  • Fixed electric fence states not always persisting when saving and loading
  • Fixed the "Confidence" Perk persisting incorrectly when using certain weapons
  • Fixed a rare issue where the game could soft-lock when reactivating Devil's Peak Station

Design:

• Fixed an issue where the Robophobia Flaw could persist even when no automechanicals were present
  • Fixed an issue where the player could get trapped in an endless interrogation with certain automechanicals

UI:

• Added better messaging to the Vendor screen for when the player has insufficient bits
  • Added better messaging for save compatibility on the Load Save menu
  • Fixed an issue with windows incorrectly persisting when the user disconnected a controller
  • Fixed an occasional display issue on the Reputation screen
  • Corrected the controller mapping screen when controls are set to "Lefty"
  • Fixed certain types of Armor Mods being mislabeled on the Workbench screen
  • Adjusted backgrounds of Quest screen to improve text readability
  • Added a description for the "Combat Only" reticle option
  • Fixed a typo in the description of the "Steady Hand" buff
  • Fixed an issue where inputs could stop working after opening the ledger from the pause menu

Game Information

Game Title: The Outer Worlds: Peril on Gorgon

Platforms:

• PC (Sep 9, 2020)
  • Xbox One (Sep 9, 2020)
  • PlayStation 4 (Sep 9, 2020)
  • Nintendo Switch (Sep 9, 2020)

Developer: Obsidian Entertainment

Publisher: Private Division

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 76 average - 61% recommended

Critic Reviews

33bits - Spanish - 90 / 100

Danger on Gorgon is an expansion like the ones before, and when scoring The Outer Worlds: Danger in Gorgona we do it as the game set + expansion since it is added and forms symbiosis with the base game. And, although it is not essential, we do consider its acquisition highly recommended to expand and enjoy this great Obsidian game. Technically it does not vary with respect to what has already been seen, but as happens in the expansions, it is limited to being a continuist and expanding content. And in that aspect, that of expanding content and integrating with the game, it does it perfectly. The perfect complement while waiting for a sequel to exist.

Game Revolution - 4.5 / 5 stars

Gorgon might be a dangerous rock that has been overrun by hostile Marauders, but it’s one heck of a spot for a hilarious and engaging multi-hour tale of intrigue.

Noisy Pixel - 9 / 10

The Outer Worlds: Peril On Gorgon doesn’t hinder the experiences of the base game; instead, it enhances this small corner of the universe with more grand adventures. I appreciated the dedication that went into writing the main campaign and found the side-missions to be just as crucial to piecing together the full narrative. There was an abundance of items and weirdly placed enemy encounters that didn’t completely flow with the events, but that didn’t take away from this fantastic space opera experience.

TechRaptor - 9 / 10

Peril on Gorgon tells a dark and mature story that kept me enthralled once the ball got rolling. The asteroid itself is a fun area to explore and is rather sizable. The only downsides were the few side quests and underwhelming armor and weapons.

Attack of the Fanboy - 4 / 5 stars

The Outer Worlds: Peril On Gorgon is story DLC done right. It builds and expands on the existing world while providing a fun, meaty new narrative for fans to dig into. It doesn't address all of the issues players had with The Outer Worlds at launch, but that doesn't stop Peril On Gorgon from being a worthy addition to Obsidian's spacefaring RPG.

Destructoid - 8 / 10

That said, without knowing exactly when or where the second half of the Season Pass will slot in, I'd potentially wait to knock both DLC stories out at the same time (and save a bit of money) if you can.

GameSkinny - 8 / 10 stars

Peril on Gorgon is the first of two story DLCs for The Outer Worlds. It tells a fun tale and, like the original game, doesn't overstay its welcome.

Kakuchopurei - 80 / 100

While Peril on Gorgon isn’t as revelatory & as grand as Obsidian’s Fallout: New Vegas DLC offerings it's still pretty darn good. With just about 6 hours or so worth of quests and stories to unravel and be entertained by, alongside welcome additions to stats and arsenals, this should hopefully inspire the devs to go for broke.

PC Invasion - 8 / 10

Although battling endless hordes of hyped-up marauders can grow tiresome, Peril on Gorgon adds a welcome depth to the narrative with plenty of humor wrapped in a sci-fi film-noir mystery.

Easy Allies - 7.5 / 10

Peril on Gorgon doesn't do anything too surprising, but adds a solid new chapter to The Outer Worlds, addressing unanswered questions and delving deeper into its dysfunctional corporate culture.

GamingTrend - 75 / 100

Peril on Gorgon is simply more Outer Worlds. It feels like a natural addition and fits right in with the rest of the game, while offering a slightly different tone in terms of story. The main quest is lengthy and replayable, but there's not much in terms of side quests or gear.

Press Start - 7.5 / 10

At the end of the day, Peril on Gorgon is more The Outer Worlds. Whether that's for better or for worse will largely depend on how much you're itching to re-enter the Halcyon Colony and how satisfied you are with the game as it is. Obsidian have doubled down on delivering best-in-class RPG design backed by fantastic writing and quest structure and a solid gameplay loop, even if it gets there without much of an attempt to break the mould. Hopefully the next expansion throws caution to the wind a little more, but if you're dying to jump back in I can absolutely recommend nipping off to Gorgon for a weekend.

The Games Machine - Italian - 7.5 / 10

Peril on Gorgon further expands the background of The Outer Worlds and the colony of Alcyon, but focuses too much on the action parts of the game rather than on its narrative and role-playing sides.

GameSpew - 7 / 10

Peril on Gorgon is an entertainingly substantial chunk of The Outer Worlds content, with a handful of side-quests that will keep you poking around the planet until you’ve seen every inch.

IGN - 7 / 10

The Outer Worlds’ Peril on Gorgon DLC is mechanically unambitious in that it doesn’t introduce any new ideas to change up gameplay, but it does take the crew of the Unreliable to several new locations around the Hyperion system as it unveils a fairly lengthy and entertaining detective story.

IGN Italy - Italian - 6.8 / 10

Not a bad expansion but not even a very good one, Peril on Gorgon can be an enjoyable return to the Halcyon colony for those that can't wait to play some more of The Outer World. For everyone else, it may be better to just wait for a sale... or the next DLC.

RPG Site - 6 / 10

A self-contained plot that's more of the same.

ACG - Unscored

Spaziogames - Italian - Recommended

Peril on Gorgon tells a compelling and unsettling story about work dehumanization mixed with an intriguing family mistery. Despite the lack of new gameplay contents, it is a recommended DLC.