Baldur's Gate III - Information Thread, update: Larian doesn't plan to release DLC/expansions for BGIII nor develop BGIV

I'm getting pretty late game in this. Starting to pick up steam again after I lost the thread on the game for a bit. Just completed the fireworks quest which seems to be bugged... I had to just kill a bunch of people and ended up breaking my oath to do so. Good thing I got the cash to regain my honor. 

4 hours ago, legend said:

You can get what you need without him. It's just the harder path.

I took the deal, got my frog wife a cool sword, and now I will steal the Declaration of Independence from the devil. I'll take the easy path and the hard path at the same time #ballerswag #baldursswag

• Haha 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Baldur's Gate III - Information Thread, update: physical "Deluxe Edition" announced for 1Q 2024 release ($80)

Honestly, game is too long IMO. While some people have said this about Act 3, most haven't, but there are too many side activities. I feel a big problem is that EVERYTHING ends in act 3. All companion quests finish in act 3, pretty much every side quest that isn't finished in Act 1 is finished in Act 3 instead of Act 2.  Like, I really just want to beat the game, and I have just made it to the main part of the city. I'm reading subtitles and skipping dialogue on stuff that isn't very interesting to me. It's like Act 3 has different chapters divided by parts of the city.

And even when I'm just going with the flow, I find that I need/want to reload because something didn't happen right or I'm wasting a resource if I don't reload. For example, there is a +1d6 buff that lasts until long rest. Well, I had no idea I was about to get that buff and I was totally out of combat resources. It's a pretty good buff so I reloaded. I did a few things after that, while not using resources, but now the game wants me to go back to camp and sleep to progress a companion's quest. Luckily I don't have to, but I'm now just holding off to finish that quest while I can get as much out of this buff as I can. I mean, the buff isn't that big, but it's nice to have to dialogue rolls when I have a -1 to int and wis rolls.

Another very annoying one for me is that there is a bad guy who has interactions with 2 companions. So I took them with me when I was supposed to encounter him, but that guy is also involved in my personal quest, and if I take 1 of those 2 companions my character's journal entry doesn't get updated and my character is far more important to me than these other two characte I never use outside of their quests. The journal entry probably isn't important, but it's annoying when the game doesn't acknowledge the quest progressing, and this isn't even the first time. There was another bad guy who knew my character but because I didn't click one very specific dialogue option, the game doesn't even acknowledge it properly. There was supposed to be this whole dialogue path of talking with this guy, but it never happened, and then the narrator just chimes in at the ending saying, "This guy knows your past, how do you feel about that?" Despite the bad guy never claiming to know me.

Furthermore, my character has already learned who they are and told everyone in camp except for one person because I didn't have the option to tell them. Then, when I meet up with the one bad guy who "informs" you of your past, everyone acts like they are just finding out this info even tho you have already told them. Some even claim that they can't talk to you right now because of the news and that they need time, but a few long rests and no one has said a thing about it. Also, the one character who I couldn't tell acts like I have told them in some cutscenes, but in others they are completely clueless. I don't understand how the game can have markers for them both knowing who I am and not knowing who I am. Part of me wonders if my constant killing of people, yet not giving in to any of the major game-changing dark urges is fucking shit up. I have a path I want my character to take, and I'm not sure if I can actually take that path. I want my character to never get rid of their urges, but instead to succeed in always fighting against them when I want to. I want the urges to be compelled to do bad forever but also resist forever.

On “how long to beat it” it says 56 hours for main story, is that like a reasonable thing to do or will you get too underpowered or miss too much skipping that much side content? It shows +extras as 100 hours, so if main story isn’t enough, does skipping a lot of stuff like that work ok?

38 minutes ago, stepee said:

On “how long to beat it” it says 56 hours for main story, is that like a reasonable thing to do or will you get too underpowered or miss too much skipping that much side content? It shows +extras as 100 hours, so if main story isn’t enough, does skipping a lot of stuff like that work ok?

Well, the game is so easy that I wish I had started on Tactician/Hard. Bumped it up to hard starting with Act 3.  You will not be under-leveled, but you may not really get a solid build together. My build doesn't really come together until I'm level 8, and it's basically 100% finished at level 11. The good/bad thing about this game is that you don't really need a good build to beat it. All you really need is decent Ability Scores (shit like getting STR to 20 if you are a Barbarian) so you can actually hit things. The worst thing about being low level is missing attacks. That is solved with leveling up or items and abilities that give advantage (two dice rolls instead of one) on attack rolls.

The real issue I think you'll face is not realizing what is optional. Pretty much all of Act 1 is optional. You can actually just skip it and walk right into Act 2. But it sure didn't fuckin' feel like it. If you just to the "main story" you pretty much miss out on what I consider to be the actual game. The main story seems pretty lame, if not bad, if you rush it or aren't The Dark Urge.

11 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Well, the game is so easy that I wish I had started on Tactician/Hard. Bumped it up to hard starting with Act 3.  You will not be under-leveled, but you may not really get a solid build together. My build doesn't really come together until I'm level 8, and it's basically 100% finished at level 11. The good/bad thing about this game is that you don't really need a good build to beat it. All you really need is decent Ability Scores (shit like getting STR to 20 if you are a Barbarian) so you can actually hit things. The worst thing about being low level is missing attacks. That is solved with leveling up or items and abilities that give advantage (two dice rolls instead of one) on attack rolls.

The real issue I think you'll face is not realizing what is optional. Pretty much all of Act 1 is optional. You can actually just skip it and walk right into Act 2. But it sure didn't fuckin' feel like it. If you just to the "main story" you pretty much miss out on what I consider to be the actual game. The main story seems pretty lame, if not bad, if you rush it or aren't The Dark Urge.

This is kind of what I figured. If I play it I’ll play it in earnest and assume it’ll be at least 100 hours.

8 hours ago, Bacon said:

Wish the game displayed your crit range just so I can keep track of that info. I want to lower the floor as much as possible so I can crit as often as possible. By the end of the game I should be able to crit on a 16 or 17 I think.

Critical hits just roll your damage dice twice (add your modifiers once) so you should be able to figure it out.

17 minutes ago, legend said:

Critical hits just roll your damage dice twice (add your modifiers once) so you should be able to figure it out.

I mean I wish it displayed what the lowest crit roll was somewhere. As in, usually it takes a nat20 to crit, but you can lower that in various ways. I wish there was some tracker for that. Like right now I have various characters who crit on 19 and 20 instead of 20. 

3 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I mean I wish it displayed what the lowest crit roll was somewhere. As in, usually it takes a nat20 to crit, but you can lower that in various ways. I wish there was some tracker for that. Like right now I have various characters who crit on 19 and 20 instead of 20. 

Oh you mean the to hit. I suppose, though that doesn't seem that hard to track? :p 

1 minute ago, legend said:

Oh you mean the to hit. I suppose, though that doesn't seem that hard to track? :p 

Well, sure, but like I have so many "notable features" that I find it hard to find all the buffs. Like, I think Astarion only needs a 19 to crit, yet he hits consistently more crits than anyone. He just crits too often so I feel like I'm missing something that makes him crit on 18. I looked but I only see 19 but i don't believe it. That's why I wish the game just told you in a menu or something. I want proof that I've just be giga lucky with his dice rolls.

8 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Well, sure, but like I have so many "notable features" that I find it hard to find all the buffs. Like, I think Astarion only needs a 19 to crit, yet he hits consistently more crits than anyone. He just crits too often so I feel like I'm missing something that makes him crit on 18. I looked but I only see 19 but i don't believe it. That's why I wish the game just told you in a menu or something. I want proof that I've just be giga lucky with his dice rolls.

I *think* the combat log will tell you the details of the event (like a critical hit) if you hover over the events. Which means when he get's a crit you can hover over it to see the calculation. But it's possible I'm conflating that with Pillars of Eternity and Roll20.net :p 

lol I was so excited thinking I found an exp exploit via infinitely spawning enemies, not even google came up with this exploit, but it turns out that the enemies only spawn for 4 rounds or so.

As Wyll would say, "And just when things were warming up..."

You know, I hate to say it, but if this game came out in Acts, I think that would have been stellar. I hate to keep harping on similar topics (he lied as easily as he breathed) but Act 3 is just too packed. I think once I get to level 12 things will go by faster as I won't care about getting kills, but even then, I really do love killing. I'd rather not skip all the killing unless I'm getting someone to kill themselves. FBI, this is a video game btw.

LMAO I was doing the Iron Throne and I got fuckin' ensnared on 1 round remaining. Luckily, fire pots break the snare, but my dumbass tried 3 different fire methods before the pure fire bomb. I figured that pure fire would be the least likely to work, but I was wrong. Thought I was a genius when I summoned Scratch only for his initiative roll to be 3 so that didn't help.