Ghost Recon Breakpoint - Information Thread (Launching 10/04/19)

Pikachu

6 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I mean, I really don't get what I am supposed to be butthurt about here. That is why what you said doesn't make sense. What did you say that was meant to induce any butthurting? 

I’m done. Go away and enjoy your space game. And I’ll enjoy mine. 

33 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I want to where? Also learn to form complete sentences that make sense. 👍🏼

Yeah. Now that IS a bad... habit, I guess. I do it all the fucking time. I write it out right in my head, but my fingers just skip over a word sometimes. It happens with actual writing and typing. Also, don't ignore the question. You should know what I was trying to get across. 

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

I’m enjoying the hell out of this game. It’s a prefect blend of Metal Gear and the Division. It takes the good from both of those games and blends it together. 

it almost feels as if Sam Fisher should be doing this mission..after a rough start the game has really won me over

PROS (to me):

-map is more dense and varied, it recycles building much less than Wildlands with many more buildings u can enter.. with some complex indoor environments

-drones arent as overwhelmingly present as i feared

-TONS of options as how to set up HUD and even as to how missions and map are discovered

-QRF system is better

-lots of improvements wanted for Wildlands are here

-the loot and crafting systems are there, but in a way that allows u to bypass or ignore them completely..( u only want one specific weapon? find the blue print and buy a higher level every once in a while).... crafting is not needed because shop is cheap and easily accessible (for now)

-side missions have enough narrative to push u to complete them

-the map and information is organized and presented in very helpful ways to minimize confusion

-the more up close camera better balances out the 3rd person situational awareness

-the injury system is decently thought out and implemented

-the challenge is there and the enemy “alarmed” state isnt all knowing like in Wildlands

-Melee/knife kills implemented exactly as i always wanted... sneak attacks are quiet but not too quick, knife kills on aware enemies take longer thus exposing u to being spotted or keeping u in line of fire .. etc etc

CONS:

-lack of squad, though its coming.. the general amount of enemies u confront plus general geometry might need balancing

-not as many weapons as wildlands 

-not as much “out of the box” gear available, though again requested stuff is there

- micro transactions are there on cosmetic stuff.. though to its credit the game doesnt beat u over the head trying to sell it to u

-resetting weapons when u want to level it up

- whoever made this game watched Lone Survivor and Sicario too much and the Wolves Sicario-ish theme sucks

-u cant dismantle multiple weapons at once

overall a very pleasant surprise after the initial bad impressions at the start of the game... might prefer it to Wildlands if the momentum keeps up..

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I’m enjoying the hell out of this game. It’s a prefect blend of Metal Gear and the Division. It takes the good from both of those games and blends it together. 

What I find interesting is that Metal Gear Solid: Phantom Pain had an even simpler and more basic gameplay loop (and equally bullshit story) and it had every gaming journo on the internet dangling from Kojima's nuts like a tire swing. I played MGSV from start to finish and I still don't understand the praise.

I took down my first Behemoth tonight playing solo. Those things are not to be taken lightly. 

My main 'con' when compared to Wildlands was that Wildlands spoiled me with the drone options. I keep waiting for my explosive and emp drones but so far they're MIA.

It took me a while to understand the UI but now I have a pretty good understanding on how things work. It’s not the smoothest but it works. The guns and gun play are great. Love scoping out locations with my drone marking enemies and then methodically taking them out. With my sniper at far distances or my LMG at close range. You can play it stealth or guns blazing which I like. 

8 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

My main 'con' when compared to Wildlands was that Wildlands spoiled me with the drone options. I keep waiting for my explosive and emp drones but so far they're MIA.

That is my adjustment as well..

i miss my rebel support and the ability to soften enemies up with mortars...

plus the crutch of setting the squad to fire at will is sorely missing

spacer.png

• Like 1

I'd like to pull the trigger on this game. My most pressing question would be the progression and leveling in the game. Everyone lost their shit with the amount of microtransactions in this title. This is a non issue if they haven't fucked with the progression Battlefront style. 

So, everything good in this regard? 

6 hours ago, Biggie said:

Mapping everything with my drone is great. I’ve slowed down my play and it’s really helped. I methodically take down each area and it’s awesome. Sniping far enemies and switching to LMG for close combat. I’m surprised how much I’m enjoying this. 

I think one of the reasons this game got trashed in the reviews was because everyone was racing to get through it by the time the embargo lifted. Its really not the way to play this game.

For example; Angry Joe, whose opinion i usually share, bitched about having to fly everywhere and that it was boring. Yet he only played with Del and OJ and they were just flying around everywhere and not collecting intel. If he wouldve been collecting the intel, he wouldve had campsites unlocked all over the map and he wouldnt have had to fly everywhere. I wanted to reach through the screen and shake him.

Same was with the IGN review. The guy described how he was playing the game basically going straight from objective to objective and i thought to myself "man if i was playing like that i'd hate the game too."

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Man_of_X said:

I'd like to pull the trigger on this game. My most pressing question would be the progression and leveling in the game. Everyone lost their shit with the amount of microtransactions in this title. This is a non issue if they haven't fucked with the progression Battlefront style. 

So, everything good in this regard? 

It's a non-issue.

Let me elaborate; It's a non-issue if you just play the game. If you go into this game with a goal of getting to gear score whatever as quickly as possible, of course it's going to feel like a grind. I've just been playing the game at my own pace and everything's falling into place as it should. I haven't felt locked out of anything (even though the raid is unlocked at gear score 150, you'll get there easily by playing the story and side missions. It's really intended to be endgame stuff anyway.)

There's no reason to spend any money on the microtransactions unless you absolutely must have that tattoo/backpack/t-shirt. 

8 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I think one of the reasons this game got trashed in the reviews was because everyone was racing to get through it by the time the embargo lifted. Its really not the way to play this game.

For example; Angry Joe, whose opinion i usually share, bitched about having to fly everywhere and that it was boring. Yet he only played with Del and OJ and they were just flying around everywhere and not collecting intel. If he wouldve been collecting the intel, he wouldve had campsites unlocked all over the map and he wouldnt have had to fly everywhere. I wanted to reach through the screen and shake him.

Same was with the IGN review. The guy described how he was playing the game basically going straight from objective to objective and i thought to myself "man if i was playing like that i'd hate the game too."

I’ve rarely used the helicopter to travel the map unless I’m starting out from the cave base.  Boats are fun to drive I gotta admit. Vehicles and motorcycles are cool too but normally I just get around on foot. Sometimes I’ll play for a couple of hours and do nothing but explore and kill random enemies. The open world feels very much alive. 

23 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

It's a non-issue.

Let me elaborate; It's a non-issue if you just play the game. If you go into this game with a goal of getting to gear score whatever as quickly as possible, of course it's going to feel like a grind. I've just been playing the game at my own pace and everything's falling into place as it should. I haven't felt locked out of anything (even though the raid is unlocked at gear score 150, you'll get there easily by playing the story and side missions. It's really intended to be endgame stuff anyway.)

There's no reason to spend any money on the microtransactions unless you absolutely must have that tattoo/backpack/t-shirt. 

I bit. And yeah, that's the plan, just to play and enjoy the game. 

• Like 1

Disappointing Sales and Critical Reception

Yves:

However, we have not capitalized on the potential of our latest two AAA releases. For Ghost Recon Breakpoint, while the game’s quality appeared on track – based on E3, Gamescom, previews and our latest internal playtests –, critical reception and sales during the game’s first weeks were very disappointing. As we have done with past titles, we will continue to support the game and listen to the community in order to deliver the necessary improvements.

At this stage, we have identified three main reasons behind this underperformance:

First, it is harder to generate interest for a sequel to a Live multiplayer game, when prior iterations benefited from years of optimization. Consequently, we need to make sure there is more time between each iteration of Live games. 

Second, our strategy of introducing gameplay innovations in our games has had a very positive impact on our brands. However, to win over players, these innovations need to be perfectly implemented in order to offer an optimal experience. This has not yet been sufficiently the case with Ghost Recon Breakpoint. While the change of formula has been very well received by some players, with an average daily playtime per player of over three hours, it also has been strongly rejected by a significant portion of the community.

Finally, Ghost Recon Breakpoint did not come in with enough differentiation factors, which prevented the game’s intrinsic qualities from standing out.

Agree with all points. The second game he is referring to is Division 2 which Ubisoft considers to be a commercial failure 

However, we have not capitalized on the potential of our latest two AAA releases. For Ghost Recon Breakpoint, while the game’s quality appeared on track – based on E3, Gamescom, previews and our latest internal playtests –, critical reception and sales during the game’s first weeks were very disappointing. As we have done with past titles, we will continue to support the game and listen to the community in order to deliver the necessary improvements.

At this stage, we have identified three main reasons behind this underperformance:

First, it is harder to generate interest for a sequel to a Live multiplayer game, when prior iterations benefited from years of optimization. Consequently, we need to make sure there is more time between each iteration of Live games. 

Second, our strategy of introducing gameplay innovations in our games has had a very positive impact on our brands. However, to win over players, these innovations need to be perfectly implemented in order to offer an optimal experience. This has not yet been sufficiently the case with Ghost Recon Breakpoint. While the change of formula has been very well received by some players, with an average daily playtime per player of over three hours, it also has been strongly rejected by a significant portion of the community.

Finally, Ghost Recon Breakpoint did not come in with enough differentiation factors, which prevented the game’s intrinsic qualities from standing out.

Here's the thing, Yves...

Ghost Recon doesn't have a devout fanbase anymore. You made sure of that shit years ago. Every single Ghost Recon game you've released has been dramatically different. Where games like Far Cry and Assassin's Creed remained distinctly Far Cry and Assassin's Creed for long enough to gain a dedicated fanbase, Ghost Recon gets torn apart and rebuilt for every fucking iteration.  Even Splinter Cell, with it's ups and downs, still felt like Splinter Cell.

Ghost Recon has been a military sim (Ghost Recon), a tactical shooter (Ghost Recon 2 & Summit Strike), a Black Hawk Down action movie (Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 1 & 2), a corridor shoot 'em up (Ghost Recon Future Soldier) a season of Narcos (Wildlands) and now a game that... doesn't really feel like any of those.

I've been a fan of Ghost Recon since waaay back in 2002. But that doesn't mean you've made it easy. This series has been all over the map for almost two decades now, and now with Breakpoint you make yet more design changes and expect everyone to just hop on board? The Ghost Recon name does not carry the weight that Assassin's Creed or even Far Cry does.

The one thing Ghost Recon needs is consistency. And you've never, ever provided that for the series.

It's a shame, because I do like Breakpoint, for what it is, and I am actually enjoying it. But even I can tell that your developers wanted to make the game a hardcore experience, but someone wouldn't let them. There are so many systems in place that aren't utilized. The fatigue and canteen system is completely pointless, as is the food buff system. I just don't need them. There are essences of a "survival" game here that got shit-canned in exchange for a live service model. And that sucks.

And why the fuck can't I base jump????

On 10/19/2019 at 12:33 AM, XxEvil AshxX said:

What I find interesting is that Metal Gear Solid: Phantom Pain had an even simpler and more basic gameplay loop (and equally bullshit story) and it had every gaming journo on the internet dangling from Kojima's nuts like a tire swing. I played MGSV from start to finish and I still don't understand the praise.

I took down my first Behemoth tonight playing solo. Those things are not to be taken lightly. 

The main difference is 2015 vs 2019. The gameplay loop has been done to death by this point. I played and enjoyed Wildlands, but by the end of it I was ready for it to be over... That any of the reviews said Breakpoint is similar made me less interested until/if I feel that itch to try it again.

On 10/23/2019 at 12:20 AM, XxEvil AshxX said:

This is one of the things that I'm really mixed on. I liked the idea of collecting intel in Wildlands and enjoyed it until the first time or two until it became a tedious exercise. For this to be much more interesting is that they needed to add some context to the intel so it wasn't just a generic series of animations and dialogue of "oh here's your next clue" or "the guy your looking for likes to hang out here" and the result being a new waypoint on your map. Give me some good clues and let me connect the dots myself vs leading me by the nose to the next fight. Maybe give me some intel to influence my tactical decisions on what loadout to bring to the fight? Just something beyond "go here next".

9 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Here's the thing, Yves...

Ghost Recon doesn't have a devout fanbase anymore. You made sure of that shit years ago. Every single Ghost Recon game you've released has been dramatically different. Where games like Far Cry and Assassin's Creed remained distinctly Far Cry and Assassin's Creed for long enough to gain a dedicated fanbase, Ghost Recon gets torn apart and rebuilt for every fucking iteration.  Even Splinter Cell, with it's ups and downs, still felt like Splinter Cell.

Ghost Recon has been a military sim (Ghost Recon), a tactical shooter (Ghost Recon 2 & Summit Strike), a Black Hawk Down action movie (Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 1 & 2), a corridor shoot 'em up (Ghost Recon Future Soldier) a season of Narcos (Wildlands) and now a game that... doesn't really feel like any of those.

I've been a fan of Ghost Recon since waaay back in 2002. But that doesn't mean you've made it easy. This series has been all over the map for almost two decades now, and now with Breakpoint you make yet more design changes and expect everyone to just hop on board? The Ghost Recon name does not carry the weight that Assassin's Creed or even Far Cry does.

The one thing Ghost Recon needs is consistency. And you've never, ever provided that for the series.

It's a shame, because I do like Breakpoint, for what it is, and I am actually enjoying it. But even I can tell that your developers wanted to make the game a hardcore experience, but someone wouldn't let them. There are so many systems in place that aren't utilized. The fatigue and canteen system is completely pointless, as is the food buff system. I just don't need them. There are essences of a "survival" game here that got shit-canned in exchange for a live service model. And that sucks.

And why the fuck can't I base jump????

I also completely agree here. I'd love for it to really go back to it's roots. It was a great mix of being very tactical while also being accessible. I love my RPGs but tactical shooters is not where those gameplay concepts belong. I'm glad the CEO is starting to realize that gamers want more than different skins of the same game of open world/climb towers/clear bases/find "clues" to next bad guy/level up to get skills. AC, Far Cry, Division, Ghost Recon, Watch Dogs.

I have a feeling that they have a model for Single player (franchises above) and multiplayer model that is similar(Rainbow 6 / For Honor). Would it surprise anyone if Skull and Bones felt like a pirate version of Rainbow/For Honor?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Hmmm. I have $10 in rewards certificates so it will be 9.99 If I grab it. Thanks for the heads up. I may just get it to have something to play while I'm at my parent's house. i didn't bring any games with me.

Everybody should get it on xbox so i have someone to do this damn raid with.

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

If and when I get it, it will definitely be on Xbox. I didn't know there were raids. Wildlands didn't have raids did it?

No, the raids are new. There is only one so far, with another planned. I haven't played it yet because four players are required and even if I got my buddies together (which is practically impossible) there would still be only three of us. I'm too old and cranky to put up with randoms.

• 2 weeks later...

Happened across this thread and you guys convinced me to pick it up. Got it on PC from EGS for $13. Having a good time with it. Some really good Quality of Life improvements and some things that still annoy me. I haven't really been bothered by the item level/gear score stuff. Doing side missions/intel seems to keep that afloat fairly easily.

What I'm still finding annoying is the AI that seems to recognize me as a threat for no reason. Just driving down the roads and if one of their trucks come by, I'm insta-agro'd. That said, other than that, I find the combat AI to be fairly fun. It's easy to set them off on a red heron and double back & disappear or flank them. Drones are a pain, but they are supposed to be.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dexterryu said:

Happened across this thread and you guys convinced me to pick it up. Got it on PC from EGS for $13. Having a good time with it. Some really good Quality of Life improvements and some things that still annoy me. I haven't really been bothered by the item level/gear score stuff. Doing side missions/intel seems to keep that afloat fairly easily.

What I'm still finding annoying is the AI that seems to recognize me as a threat for no reason. Just driving down the roads and if one of their trucks come by, I'm insta-agro'd. That said, other than that, I find the combat AI to be fairly fun. It's easy to set them off on a red heron and double back & disappear or flank them. Drones are a pain, but they are supposed to be.

I definitely agree with you about the instant agro in cars....which is why I never drive anywhere, lol.