Observation (sci-fi AI thriller from Stories Untold devs/Devolver Digital) to release for PS4 and PC (EGS exclusive) on May 21 - update: Launch trailer and reviews

Commissar SFLUFAN

20 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

yes because a quasi text adventure/puzzle game was going to appeal to the masses 

sure EGS will fill that void :|

The deal probably including some marketing element.

I don't totally blame them.  I think I bought Stories Untold on steam for a buck fifty.

• 1 month later...

OpenCritic - 77 average - 75% recommended

Critic Reviews

GamePitt - 9.2 / 10

Observation is one of the most immersive interactive narrative-based games I've played outside of Virtual Reality. Instead of taking control of the protagonist directly, you'll be in control of the AI which can traverse through the various systems as you investigate the disappearance of the crew. You'll be fooled into thinking you're watching an '80s Sci-fi film with all of the VHS post-effects and familiar surroundings which look like they've been ripped right out of the set from Alien. Although built around the incredibly strong narrative and immersive interactions, you'll have to overcome various puzzles as you move around the ship trying to uncover the truth.

GameSpew - 9 / 10

If you’re after an experience like no other, that will challenge your problem-solving skills in logical and believable ways, you absolutely need to play Observation. It’s one of the most compelling and surprising games I’ve played in recent years. Its biggest achievement, though, is that it didn’t make me feel like I was playing a game; it made me feel like I was genuinely assisting a crew member in distress.

Destructoid - 9 / 10

If No Code hadn't already gotten its name out there as a strong storyteller with Stories Untold, this game would've put the studio on the map. Observation is everything I hoped it would be.

Game Informer - 9 / 10

Observation is a fantastic horror game thanks to its twisting plot, well-realized setting, and challenging puzzles

God is a Geek - 9 / 10

Observation is a fantastic game, bringing gripping science fiction and unique gameplay together for a truly remarkable experience.

TechRaptor - 8.5 / 10

Observation combines weird sci-fi and cosmic horror with clever adventure gameplay and amazing atmosphere.

Player.One - 8.5 / 10

An amazing, unique and genuinely mind-bending entry into the science-fiction genre, Observation draws on its distinct set-up to pull you into a mystery set deep in space. It's existential dread condensed into roughly six to eight hours of gameplay. Discounting the sometimes buggy levels, it has everything you could ever ask for in an original sci-fi title: an intriguing premise, a foreboding theme, and an AI player character, whose motive eludes even yourself.

PC Gamer - 82 / 100

A stylish, understated, and subtly chilling psychological thriller with a compelling mystery at its core.

VideoGamer - 8 / 10

An exquisite atmosphere and fresh premise make up for some slightly obtuse puzzles. Observation brims with ideas and images that fill your head.

Hardcore Gamer - 4 / 5

While it could have done more with its central concept, Observation is a terrific, thrilling adventure game and a superb follow-up for No Code. The blend of the realistic workings of space exploration along with more bizarre elements is perfectly executed and creates an engrossing story with a haunting atmosphere that you'll want to see through.

TheSixthAxis - 8 / 10

Observation is a sci-fi thriller that puts you in a situation quite unlike any other. You never quite know what to expect, but the writing is solid enough to make sense even at its most unbelievable, and the characters of Sam and Emma really grow on you. A few niggly navigational hiccups and a couple of dull puzzles can break the immersion a bit, but even so any sci-fi fan should have a look at Observation.

Cultured Vultures - 8 / 10

No Code's sophomore title nails the organic intricacies of feeling like an artificial intelligence system while also telling a compelling and ambitious science fiction narrative.

Push Square - 8 / 10

Observation uses the unfathomable vastness of space to wonderful effect, conjuring a palpable sense of both isolation and dread that rarely falters across the six or seven hours it'll take for you to see it though. Minor quibbles with some aspects of the storytelling and a couple of quality of life issues don't detract from what is an engrossing adventure that thrills far more frequently than it frustrates.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 80 / 100

Observation is an intriguing, sometimes terrifying, sci-fi thriller. Exploration and puzzle solving, combined with a great atmosphere, create a unique tribute to some classic movies such as Alien, 2001 A Space Odyssey, MOON or Gravity.

PlayStation Universe - 7.5 / 10

Observation does a lot of things correctly. Honing in on the isolation of space generates a wonderful tension on its own. Some pacing issues keep it from excellence, but there is plenty of appeal here for many different gaming preferences.

DualShockers - 7.5 / 10

Observation is not a perfect game. I found it unwieldy to play and, at times, was often grasping at straws for what to do next. If you can get past that, this is a gripping tale with a foreboding and mysterious aura that drives the narrative forward at every turn. Like Stories Untold before it, Observation is game that I think you really need to play to appreciate how masterful No Code is at setting a tone and building a compelling world for players to explore.

Slant Magazine - 3.5 / 5 stars

The setting of the game is the familiar stuff of science fiction, but the lens through which it's viewed is not.

We Got This Covered - 3.5 / 5 stars

The gameplay in Observation might be a bit of a slow boil, but it's unusual enough to be engaging in between its fascinating narrative moments.

OnlySP - 3 / 5 stars

Observation is almost a great game. Characters are interesting enough to hold up an often-surprising story, gameplay sweats intensity and is rewarding more often than not, and what No Code has managed to put together in spite of its small budget is tremendous. What stings more than anything is the thought of what could be. The game has a lot of things that need fixing, even if the hiccups are mostly surface level and technical. Observation truly seems to be only a few patches away from cementing itself as a worthwhile experience in the narratively-driven genre of games. Until then, Observation’s shot at the moon left it drifting into space.

Wccftech - 6 / 10

Observation spins a solid sci-fi yarn steeped in ominous atmosphere, but it fails to live up to its intriguing "Play as HAL 9000!" pitch. Too much of the game feels like irritating busy work as you wait for something interesting to happen. Folks who care about story first and foremost will want to give Observation a look, but those hoping for both an engaging plot and mechanics may find this space odyssey a drudgery.

USgamer - 2.5 / 5 stars

Observation has no trouble grabbing you from the go, with gripping central mysteries and questions that demand answers. Painstaking progress through even the simplest commands and instructions counteract any sense of progress in Observation, and ultimately dilutes and cheapens the experience.

Game Rant - 2.5 / 5 stars

Inspired by sci-fi classics like 2001: A Space Odyssey, Observation delivers an unnerving story with a creepy atmosphere that goes to waste thanks to poor gameplay.

Eurogamer - Recommended

A smart sci-fi that isn't without problems, though they're balanced out by an incredible amount of style.

Polygon - Unscored

The key to crafting an effective user interface, via video game or otherwise, is a careful balancing act of priorities both aesthetic and utilitarian. The location of the interface, how it functions, who is the user, and how is the interface meant to be seen are all questions and considerations that inform the shape and presentation of a plausible, functional user interface.

ACG - Wait for Sale

According to Polygon, the spaceship resembles a "multinational bricolage of labyrinthine compartments grafted together into a greebled funhouse reflection of the International Space Station."  Getting some very "newtonian in motion" GTA V preview vibes from this sentence.  That is to say that it's terrible writing.

26 minutes ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

According to Polygon, the spaceship resembles a "multinational bricolage of labyrinthine compartments grafted together into a greebled funhouse reflection of the International Space Station."  Getting some very "newtonian in motion" GTA V preview vibes from this sentence.  That is to say that it's terrible writing.

I refuse to believe that an actual human being wrote that sentence!