What is the best handheld console of all time?

gamer.tv

17 hours ago, vaxick said:

Every time I powered on my Switch, my first thoight is, I wish it had an OLED display thanks to the Vita.  I still prefer portable gaming on my Vita because of that screen. 

Yeah, it was a beauty. I also kinda wish the switch was somewhere in between its current size and the vita. It's just a little too big for my taste. 

5 hours ago, Anzo said:

I’d probably have to choose DS lite because of all the Igavania’s that released on it. 

That is actually the one argument that could push the DS ahead of the Vita for me... I really don't care about most Nintendo first party stuff but the Igavania's, a couple solid SRPG's and some unique Japanese titles really shined on the DS.

Subjectively: Gameboy. Too much nostalgia for me to ignore.

Objectively: 3DS. All the great stuff of the DS/DSi, plus solid smatterings from all

of Nintendo’s other handhelds, Game Gear, NES, SNES and Genesis.

Modding taken into account: Probably the Vita. Or that GDP Win thing. 

Honorable mentions:  Neo Geo Pocket Color. This thing was just so cool and had a small library of incredible games. Plus connectivity with Dreamcast! Awesome.

PSP: Fantastic handheld, and incredible tech for the time. Just kinda rendered obsolete thanks to Vita. 

On 7/5/2018 at 1:23 PM, gamer.tv said:

Just to preempt any of you, Switch will not be part of this.  I have handhelds that I love (Game Gear, Game Boy, Neo Geo Pocket: Colour) but I think we an all agree that DS Lite is H.O.A.T.  A great library, backwards compatibility with the GBA and the library is pretty special.  Even writing my non-words about it, makes me want to buy a new one (I last owned one in I think 2009) and indulge in some N64 level, 2 screen gaming. 

Regardless, GTV, I wouldn't put the Switch on there because although there are some spectacular titles on it and it is a great machine its body of work is just too limited.

I will defer to some of my brethren here:  great titles and BC should be the standard. 

Over all I think the DS wins due to it's catalog and what it brought to the table. On a more personal level it would be GBA & PSP as I more enjoyed both platforms along with how they both tied into different stages of my career (My hobbyiest work on GBA lead to my first commercial game and job, my hobbyist work on PSP lead to my job at Ubi).

Handhelds I have.

Lynx - first handheld

GameGear - came with free TV Tuner

GameBoy Advance/SP - Finally a true upgrade from the GameBoy

PSP - Finally a handheld not a huge gap from console gaming. Also I could watch videos on it. First analog nub like the Dreamcast it only had one.

DS lite - New Super Mario Bros

Vita - amazing handheld continues to push the boundries of what can be on a handheld. First handheld with two anolog sticks

N3DS XL - Nice console for nintendo games. it uses an SD card so that is nice

TurboExpress - great handheld take your console games on the go. but recenly picked that up a few years ago. played my friends growing up also has a TV tuner.

PSP might be my favorite. I played games on it and watched TV shows. Used it to present in College my portfolio. Although Vita is the successor. GBASP close 2nd. Vita Current favorite love that OLED.