The Umbrella Academy

If you haven’t watched yet on Netflix, I highly recommend doing so. Not your typical superhero show as everyone is just mentally fucked up one way or another. Great cast and some pretty good VFX too, especially for Pogo. Hopefully Netflix will announce a 2nd season being picked up soon. Also cool to see local spots near me being used in the show. The big action scene in the 2nd episode was a Target store I use to service with Pepsi before Target went belly up. Just go and watch already

I'm also about halfway through and enjoying it... but it feels very derivative of a lot of different things... that said, the things it's being derivative of are all pretty good so... (Watchmen, Preacher, Legion instantly leap to mind)

I feel like it might be trying a little too hard to be an artsy artsy super hero show and can't quite stick the landing... but it's still very entertaining.

I also find it funny that one of the kids from that stupid kids show Ricky, Dicky, Nicky and Dawn or whatever is one of the main protagonists. I couldn't figure out where I knew him from and when I looked it up it made me laugh. My kids used to like that show. I showed a bit of a scene to my older son and was all like, hey check it out, Nicky is killing a room full of thugs with knives and various other weapons. Fun!

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Jason said:

This season felt like they had six episodes' worth of story to tell and then heavily padded it to fit the episode order they were on the hook for.

I agree, but since a bunch of that runtime lets Elliot / Viktor luxuriate in his transition, I don't particularly care.

38 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I agree, but since a bunch of that runtime lets Elliot / Viktor luxuriate in his transition, I don't particularly care.

I think they still would have had plenty of time for the purely character stuff, but even if you think they needed more time for that than they could have gotten with six episodes it still should have been eight episodes at absolute max. 

• True 1

On 6/23/2022 at 10:15 PM, Fizzzzle said:

So season 3 just came out. I watched the recap and I was like "I have zero idea what the hell is going on," so I decided I should watch season 2 again. I don't remember a damn thing.

I wish the streaming services would do longer recaps. Make a full 30 minute long season recap for each season. These little 2 minute long dealies don't really cut it for how complicated most of these shows are.

I'll get around to this season in a few weeks probably, and while I kinda remember what happened in season 2, I also really don't. All I remember is that it took place in the 60s during the Keneddy Assassination and that the dad guy was involved and it ended poorly for the characters or something? I mean, yeah. I need recaps.

3 hours ago, ort said:

I wish the streaming services would do longer recaps. Make a full 30 minute long season recap for each season. These little 2 minute long dealies don't really cut it for how complicated most of these shows are.

I'll get around to this season in a few weeks probably, and while I kinda remember what happened in season 2, I also really don't. All I remember is that it took place in the 60s during the Keneddy Assassination and that the dad guy was involved and it ended poorly for the characters or something? I mean, yeah. I need recaps.

You can always find pretty great recaps for anything on Youtube at least.