Bethesda's Todd Howard on Fallout 76 crossplay between PC/XB1 and PS4: "Sony is not as helpful as everyone would like it to be"

3 hours ago, atom631 said:

Where’s the collective outrage against Sony in regards to this? 

It's definitely more muted than if it were EA, but people certainly aren't pleased with Sony about this. 

I hope more devs keep calling them out on it until they cave. Good on Todd Howard for this. He doesn't have to do that. 

1 minute ago, Paperclyp said:

It's definitely more muted than if it were EA, but people certainly aren't pleased with Sony about this. 

I hope more devs keep calling them out on it until they cave. Good on Todd Howard for this. He doesn't have to do that. 

Yeah, it takes balls these days to call out a company these days, which is kind of sad.  Especially if you have a following. 

12 hours ago, atom631 said:

Where’s the collective outrage against Sony in regards to this? 

I think it is partly because cross play isn't a huge massive deal for now, and a lot of people don't even know or think about it. I think another reason is that it is because it is Sony. There is this saying "It is OK when Nintendo does." And that actually applies to almost anything with a fanbase. EA doesn't have EA fans. People are a fan of the games. But Sony, MS, and Nintendo, all have a massive fanbase for the brand.

Cross-play has been a pretty well talked about topic for years now. I at least was always under the assumption it wasn't possible due to the different hardware configs in each system. Maybe at one point that was true, I dunno...but there seems to be no reason this isn't happening right now as indicated by the several developers who are ready to go with it.

This is a huge deal. Its industry-changing, in fact. Imagine being able to play Battlefield V or  Anthem or Overwatch, Fortenight, PUBG with buddies on PS4 or Xbox or PC? 

People should be at outraged at this. This should be on the level of lootbox mass-hysteria that this is being held up by one party. The fact that of all places, reddit, where the hivemind is virtually silent on this topics speaks volumes to the level of fanboyism that is rampant in this industry. 

Just now, AndrewDean84 said:

As someone that makes use of crossplay with Minecraft and Fortnite, I hope this never goes away.  

100% - Sony should be poked and proded and boycotted until it hits them in their pocket. 

If there was ever a feature that could be implemented that was entirely for the benefit of the community over bottom-line profits.... this is that feature. 

2 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

I really don’t understand the frustration on this one.  

whats not to understand? If I want to get a game and my friends prefer Ps4 and I prefer X1X, it wont make a difference. I can buy for the platform I enjoy playing on and wont miss out on sharing the experience with my friends. 

Just now, atom631 said:

whats not to understand? If I want to get a game and my friends prefer Ps4 and I prefer X1X, it wont make a difference. I can buy for the platform I enjoy playing on and wont miss out on sharing the experience with my friends. 

It's a step closer to stopping the retarded console wars.  The hardware shouldn't matter, if we are playing the same game. What if one kids parents bought them a Xbox and another kids parents bought them a playstation.  They should be able to play Fortnite together.  Not be divided by hardware.

1 minute ago, AndrewDean84 said:

It's a step closer to stopping the retarded console wars.  The hardware shouldn't matter, if we are playing the same game. What if one kids parents bought them a Xbox and another kids parents bought them a playstation.  They should be able to play Fortnite together.  Not be divided by hardware.

Yup. it just makes sense for the good of the industry and collective game community. 

5 minutes ago, atom631 said:

If you want an open platform, buy a PC. 

2 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

MS is so committed to crossplay that they blocked PUBG from coming to PS4 at all. 

That's not what crossplay is.  If the dev's at PUBG wanted their game to be crossplay and available on the ps4,  they would have made it happen. It's not like they were hurting for money.  Now if PUBG comes to the ps4 in the future, yes, MS will still want crossplay.  

Seems odd you would make this connection.  

23 minutes ago, AndrewDean84 said:

That's not what crossplay is.  If the dev's at PUBG wanted their game to be crossplay and available on the ps4,  they would have made it happen. It's not like they were hurting for money.  Now if PUBG comes to the ps4 in the future, yes, MS will still want crossplay.  

Seems odd you would make this connection.  

MS paid Bluehole to keep PUBG off of PS4 — via an exclusivity deal. 

MS is open to crossplay on their terms. 

51 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

MS paid Bluehole to keep PUBG off of PS4 — via an exclusivity deal. 

MS is open to crossplay on their terms. 

and sony has timed exlusivity content for COD and Destiny 2. 

they are both guilty of doing shit like that too and it doesnt make it right. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, number305 said:

Wait... do you really not understand the difference between crossplay and exclusivity?  

55 minutes ago, number305 said:

Wait... do you really not understand the difference between crossplay and exclusivity?  

Yes. Exclusively is one step “worse” based on most of the opinions in this thread.  

1 hour ago, mikechorney said:

Yes. Exclusively is one step “worse” based on most of the opinions in this thread.  

Well then Sony is at double fault because they won't allow cross play and The Last of Us 2 on Xbox :p

On a serious note I'm pretty sure PUBG once out of game preview it will definitely be on PS4. But I'm also pretty sure Sony still won't allow cross play when that happens. Cross play may not seem like a big deal to you but there is something about being able to play a game with friends you normally couldn't. At least in your comfort zone. I play on console cuz that's what I prefere but I'm glad I can play games with people who dont want to or can't on PC. Its one less thing to worry about.

1 minute ago, The def star said:

Well then Sony is at double fault because they won't allow cross play and The Last of Us 2 on Xbox :p

On a serious note I'm pretty sure PUBG once out of game preview it will definitely be on PS4. But I'm also pretty sure Sony still won't allow cross play when that happens. Cross play may not seem like a big deal to you but there is something about being able to play a game with friends you normally couldn't. At least in your comfort zone. I play on console cuz that's what I prefere but I'm glad I can play games with people who dont want to or can't on PC. Its one less thing to worry about.

Its a guarantee they won't, they do it on fortnite, if an Xbox player or PS4 player is on your squad you can not invite someone from the other console, you're locked into only PC/PS4 or PC/Xbox cause Sony refuses to allow it.

2 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Its a guarantee they won't, they do it on fortnite, if an Xbox player or PS4 player is on your squad you can not invite someone from the other console, you're locked into only PC/PS4 or PC/Xbox cause Sony refuses to allow it.

That's just so fucking weird. They are allowing it with PC already. Just let us play with Switch and Xbox people too :p Does Sony allow mobile players too or are they in the Xbox, Switch camp?

1 minute ago, The def star said:

That's just so fucking weird. They are allowing it with PC already. Just let us play with Switch and Xbox people too :p Does Sony allow mobile players too or are they in the Xbox, Switch camp?

No idea, I can see letting mobile since they allow PC but prolly not switch.

Just now, Remarkableriots said:

Could it be that Microsoft is willing to lose a lot of money doing this to try and sink Sony? Microsoft knows Nintendo isn't a threat so seeing Sony pushed out of the console market would be a huge win for them?

Could be. But it's a damn great feature for consumers regardless who is winning or losing in a business stand point.

Just now, Remarkableriots said:

Could it be that Microsoft is willing to lose a lot of money doing this to try and sink Sony? Microsoft knows Nintendo isn't a threat so seeing Sony pushed out of the console market would be a huge win for them?

I think they see it as a good PR move that makes them more money in the long run.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, AndrewDean84 said:

You can't buy the good PR that MS and Nintendo have had since E3 with Crossplay, for both Fortnite and minecraft.  You know, two of the most popular games available. 

Didn't Microsoft buy Minecraft for $2.5 Billion? I was wondering why they would release it on other systems when it could be a X-Box exclusive?