Check out "Ashen" for PC and Xbox (Souls-type game), update - Nightstorm Isle DLC trailer

Mithan

5 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I've had my eye on this one... gamepass comes through again!

Yes sir, I've found both gamepass and EA's Premium service have both been worth my time and saved me a few bucks, based on my historical spending habits. Add in the occasional deals, like Black Friday's 69.99 sale on 1 year of game pass and its an incredible value! 

2 hours ago, Nokt said:

Figured I'd update this thread instead of start a new one.

Ashen is fantastic. Loving it so far.

Same.  I have enjoyed what I played so far.  While I am not a big coop fan, I like the implementation.  It isn't intrusive.  

1 hour ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I turned the multiplayer off. It kept teaming me up with someone who had no intention of helping. At least the NPC was useful.

I turned the filter option on in hopes that I would pair with a buddy, but no such luck.

1 hour ago, legend said:

So can you choose who you play with to make it more of a full coop game?

Not really. You can set a filter code to hopefully match with a friend or just keep using your AI buddy (you can even turn that off too). Its multiplayer is like Journey though, it randomly pairs you at times with people to play together.

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Nokt said:

I turned the filter option on in hopes that I would pair with a buddy, but no such luck.

Not really. You can set a filter code to hopefully match with a friend or just keep using your AI buddy (you can even turn that off too). Its multiplayer is like Journey though, it randomly pairs you at times with people to play together.

Well that is deeply disappointingly. :-/

I had a good experience with a random partner last night. The game could use some emotes to help with the communication. 

I played Dark Souls with the DualShock so the transition to the Xbox controller has been a challenge especially the bumpers. 

1 hour ago, legend said:

Well that is deeply disappointingly. :-/

Yeah I was fully expecting a coop experience because honestly it would be even more fun. Though this isn’t a bad game if you like bloodborne/dark souls. It takes a much lighter tone and isn’t as unforgiving. It has fun customization and upgrades. Exploration can be a bit tedious, but I just unlocked fast travel.

The difficulty in this game has upped quite a bit. The quest to kill the two brothers is a tough one, also getting through the entirety of Seat of the Matriarch is a challenge. I luckily did it on my third try, but my buddy is still stuck on it. His AI keeps getting stuck somewhere along the way, mine got stuck too so I took it super slow and was luring enemies 1 by 1. I swear I was in the cave for probably 2 hours.

13 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

The backtracking in the early game is not fun. I can’t wait to unlock fast travel. 

Yeah I think you unlock it after the second or third boss. Luckily its not too far into the game. I'd also recommend just using the bones(?) that warp you back. I have like 20 and have never used one.

4 hours ago, nublood said:

How is leveling up handled in this game? I've just been exploring, collecting items and killing people. lol

Completing quest can net you boosts to stamina, health, currency and other items. Killing enemies net you currency to be used on upgrades, buying items, and applying modifiers. There are also black feathers placed around the world when picked up give you boosts to health or stamina. 

5 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Completing quest can net you boosts to stamina, health, currency and other items. Killing enemies net you currency to be used on upgrades, buying items, and applying modifiers. There are also black feathers placed around the world when picked up give you boosts to health or stamina. 

Black feather = Health

White feather = Stamina

On 12/11/2018 at 11:57 AM, SFLUFAN said:

How's that Epic Store exclusivity workin' out for ya? 

I know this is old, but I'm pretty sure this has been fixed.

On 12/16/2018 at 12:42 PM, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I really dislike how every dungeon forces you to use a latern and a 1 handed weapon. 

You can drop the lantern and pull your shield out.

This is low key a really good souls type game. Its a shame that it got such a small release because its such a good game. The whole epic store exclusivity probably hurt more than anticipated. Never understood why devs go for that unless its a seriously good chunk of money.

Just finished the game. I'd probably give it an 87/100.

Beautiful world, great soundtrack, gives this really peaceful setting to it. Game starts out pretty easy and gradually gets harder and harder. The first dungeon is where I first really started struggling a bit. There is a lot of overworld exploration, but every so often you have to go into what I call dungeons. There is usually one save point outside the dungeon and one right before the boss with a couple places to refill your flask along the way. I didn't really pay much attention to the story as it seemed really barebones and just not a huge focus of the game. Something about darkness and saving the light.

There is really only 4 weapon classes. One handed, Two Handed, Blunt, and Axe. Blunt weapons give out more damage but have no possibility of crit, axes have crits, but put out a little less damage. If you roll one handed you can carry a shield or lantern (I highly recommend just upping your brightness a little bit for whenever you would need to use the lantern). Slightly disappointing is that the starting blunt one hander is one of the highest damage weapons in its class. I only found one other weapon that beat it in damage output and it was near the end game, so I rocked that weapon for pretty much 85% of the game. I should have switched it up a little bit, but I've always done "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". There also is javelins which become a requirement a little after halfway through the game, they don't do a ton of damage, but they can knock enemies hiding on ledges for a one shot kill or to pull an enemy from a distance

There is a few items in the game. A flask that heals you when you drink it (up to 8 charges). Certain foods that will heal you or hurt you. I have no idea what the point is of the food that hurts you. The healing kind will either give you a small boost in health or more health but slowly over time. I found myself using the slower kind, but just eating a couple at a time to gain health faster. There are runes that you can buy and gain over the course of the game. You can have one big one selected at any time and four smaller ones that give smaller perks. Money of course to buy upgrades, food, runes, etc. You can also get potions that usually give trade offs like when you AI companion is around you have higher damage resistance or fighting in the dark gives you damage resistance, but weaker in the light.

Armor varies a little bit and its really just a trade off of what you want. The less protection the faster you gain stamina back, the more protection the slower you regain stamina. For a long time I was using heavier armor, but later in the game I ended up making the trade into some lighter gear. When you get into situations with multiple enemies or you lose you AI companion you can't really tank a bunch of hits with or without having a full flask.

Which brings me to my negative of the game, the AI companion can be a bit wonky. For probably 90% of the game it works fine, but every so often he will chase an enemy into the water and drown or just straight up disappear. Unless there is someway to trigger them coming back, they are pretty much gone until you reach a save stone. This happened to me 4 times in a row inside one of the games dungeons, extremely frustrating to run through that alone. There is parts of this game that weren't made to do without your AI companion and its makes it all the more difficult to get through it. Multiplayer didn't work while I was playing and my buddy that I was going to play it with got so far apart in quests that it wasn't worth one of us waiting for the other.

The game isn't as long as a something like Dark Souls or Bloodborne, but for its price point comparatively I think its well justifies the $40.

32 minutes ago, Nokt said:

possibility of crit

AI companion

The less protection the faster you gain stamina back, the more protection the slower you regain stamina.

36 minutes ago, Nokt said:

$40

trash_can_PNG18431.png

• Like 1

• 8 months later...