The Mariners

thewhyteboar

• 2 weeks later...

What is most amusing to me about the Correa situation is the Astros offered him 6 years, $210 million before he finally took the goofy 3 year deal in Minnesota. He’s getting less guaranteed, and to play for an organization that is likely to be far less competitive over the duration of the contract than the Astros. Whoooooops

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

What is most amusing to me about the Correa situation is the Astros offered him 6 years, $210 million before he finally took the goofy 3 year deal in Minnesota. He’s getting less guaranteed, and to play for an organization that is likely to be far less competitive over the duration of the contract than the Astros. Whoooooops

Only the Braves get players to stay for team friendly contracts. Unless your name is Freddie or Dansby. 

Just now, Biggie said:

Only the Braves get players to stay for team friendly contracts. Unless your name is Freddie or Dansby. 

Braves aren’t doing that with free agents though, they are betting early, pre arbitration even, that certain players are going to be worth a lot more in the future and enticing them with big pay increases today. The Astros actually did the same thing with Bregman and Alvarez, and have been trying to do that with Tucker too but that dude knows he can get paid paid if he keeps up his trajectory.

Dansby is more analogous to Correa, both were feee agents and tested the market. We will see what happens with Max Fried who seems now destined to become a free agent.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Braves aren’t doing that with free agents though, they are betting early, pre arbitration even, that certain players are going to be worth a lot more in the future and enticing them with big pay increases today. The Astros actually did the same thing with Bregman and Alvarez, and have been trying to do that with Tucker too but that dude knows he can get paid paid if he keeps up his trajectory.

Dansby is more analogous to Correa, both were feee agents and tested the market. We will see what happens with Max Fried who seems now destined to become a free agent.

They won't over pay for Fried thats for sure. If they let Freddie and Dansby walk I have no doubt that Alex Anthopoulos will do the same with Fried if the asking price is to high.

35 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'm actually pretty jealous of what Atlanta has accomplished with their young talent. Ozuna aside, they're an easy team to root for.

and the embrace of the rather awful tomahawk chop 😂

But the actual players are indeed quite a good bunch besides Ozuna. They are my favorite NL team to watch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Biggie said:

These new rules seem silly tbh

I like the pitch clock. Too many hitters AND pitchers standing around playing with their hair, playing with their batting gloves, walking around the mound/batters box. 

The anti-shift stuff I don’t personally like, but I do understand MLB wanting more offense and dynamic action after the Astros took shifting to the extreme 😂

I also love stolen bases, so I’m in favor of the new pickoff rules. 

10 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I like the pitch clock. Too many hitters AND pitchers standing around playing with their hair, playing with their batting gloves, walking around the mound/batters box. 

The anti-shift stuff I don’t personally like, but I do understand MLB wanting more offense and dynamic action after the Astros took shifting to the extreme 😂

I also love stolen bases, so I’m in favor of the new pickoff rules. 

Not a fan of only 2 throws over to first. After that the runner knows for sure he can get a big lead. Also the balk rules seem suspect. Gonna cost teams games just watch. Also with the shift outlawed how long before we see teams bringing in one of their outfielders to have 5 on the dirt and only 2 in the field?

40 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Also with the shift outlawed how long before we see teams bringing in one of their outfielders to have 5 on the dirt and only 2 in the field?

There is no sensible reason to have five in the dirt, so I would welcome it 😂

I mentioned it in the book thread, and I know @CastlevaniaNut18is picking it up, but I listened to the audiobook of “Winning Fixes Everything” by Evan Drellich. Drellich was an Astros and Redsox beat writer and learned about the sign stealing cheating while the two teams were finishing the 2018 ALCS. It took another year of investigation and the resources of the Athletic, including being paired up with Ken Rosenthal, to eventually deliver the bombshell report in the afterglow of the 2019 WS.

The book is interesting as it is less about the particulars of the sign stealing (which the original story, and various video breakdowns pretty much made clear all the way back in 2019), it does a lot to explain how both Jeff Luhnow (GM) and Jim Crane (owner) got into baseball, and how their backgrounds created fertile soil for the players to be willing to go over the line the way they did.

One of the other things I think the book does a great job of is dispelling the notion that the Astros got good because they tanked for three years. The idea of tanking as a strategy to build winners just isn’t backed up by any evidence. The best run clubs in baseball the last decade are the Dodgers, Braves, Yankees, Rays, and Astros, and they are still churning out big league players despite picking later in the draft and having less international pool money because they have next level development programs.

One of the other things that became clear tk me is that a lot of why people don’t like about baseball this last 10 years can be traced to bringing in firms like McKinsey to do their consultation work. This includes in the commissioner’s office. It is why the game feels like it’s run by people who don’t like baseball, because it sadly is 😂

32 minutes ago, Biggie said:

We will see. I give it a week before we have a controversy 

Thos is why they are hardcore enforcing it from day one of spring training so everybody is used to it before real games start. People thought it would be a problem in the minors too and now it’s like “how did we play without a clock?” 😂