What is your current GOTY?

nublood

16 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

I've only played one game released in 2018 and that's God of War which I would be hesitant to give my personal GotY award to anyway.

So, I'm gonna go with Prey.

Prey is fantastic and one of my favorite games in recent years as well.

No idea about an actual GOTY, don't even know what I played this year that actually came out this year if anything. 

2 hours ago, Rev said:

I wonder if it'll drop that low in the Steam sale. I'd rather have it on PC but 50% off is hard to pass up.

Better choice, IMO.  If you can play it on PC, you should play it on PC.  60fps and the orchestral mod are worth it.

It should drop a bit, maybe not to the same level.

I truly wanted to like RDR2. It's just too boring for me. Constantly waiting for my character to get to where I need to be. Not just geographically but like even just moving around in the place you're at takes forever. This is more an issue with the Rockstar style I guess but it annoys me enough so that the game has to be really spectacular to make up for it. 

If I can nominate any game I played for the first time this year despite its year of release, it's MGSV for me. Despite my initial borderline hatred for it, it's quite possibly in my favorites of all time at this point. I can't even believe how much I've played this fucking thing.

I thought about it and I think I didn't really play any new releases in 2018 outside of RDR2 and outside of its brilliant aesthetics and overall world design, I wouldn't be able to give it a higher rating than a 7/10 on my personal scale. As a game, it just fails in far too many aspects for me despite having had fun just roaming. Once I was only left with story missions, it tanked so hard for me that I just dropped it for now. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Rev said:

I truly wanted to like RDR2. It's just too boring for me. Constantly waiting for my character to get to where I need to be. Not just geographically but like even just moving around in the place you're at takes forever. This is more an issue with the Rockstar style I guess but it annoys me enough so that the game has to be really spectacular to make up for it. 

I'm REALLY enjoying the game, but some of those issues strike me as strange, too. The logic behind having your character walk and not awkwardly run, say, to join his friends who are scoping out an enemy camp on a cliff once you get off your horse, technically makes sense, but I really don't care if I sprint 10 feet to them if I get there quicker and there's no need for me to walk. 

I don't mind as much at camp because there are many people to talk to, funny things happen, I can upgrade the camp, all of that, but in other instances, I'd rather the game not restrict how quickly I can move.

In order:

Red Dead 2

God of War

Into the Breach

Celeste 

Maybe spidey sneaks in there? Just bought it yesterday. Assassin's Creed might as well if red dead hadn't stomped in and interrupted my playthrough. 

I feel bad putting red dead at the top because it does so many things wrong, so many little irritants where other games would have streamlined to increase the fun and minimize the bullshit. But it's also the most engrossing game world I've ever experienced, and when I'm not playing it I'm thinking about it constantly. It's also a game that improves more and more the longer I play - whether that's from just getting used to the silly control scheme or actual growth in appreciation is up for debate. 

God of War is a masterpiece, and the series has always been my favourite, it's just up against a juggernaut in red dead, which also benefits from recency bias. 

Celeste and Into the Breach were my reasons to own a Switch this year. Both are incredible, and they've kinda defined the switch for me - even though they're available for other systems I couldn't imagine playing them anywhere else. 

One thing I've learned in this thread, this board is FULL of people who love to talk about games but don't actually play a lot of them :lol:

After the mission I played last night, I may have to rethink my top 3. RDR2 is inching up there and upon reflection, I may have dismissed GOW too soon. That game never crashed or glitched on me ONCE. right now Spiderman and GOW are neck and neck with RDR2 coming up the rear.

9 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Kind of a weird joke, because it makes no sense. :p 

You do seem a little sensitive about people criticizing RDR2.

I was including myself because we ALL have backlogs going back years in some cases decades which is what I was commenting on.

As far as RDR2, yeah I couldn't really care less... people are still bitching about it in that thread?  My post about it in this thread was my genuine shock that so many users on here seem to be enjoying it because the official thread on this board wouldn't give you that impression.

10 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I was including myself because we ALL have backlogs going back years in some cases decades which is what I was commenting on.

As far as RDR2, yeah I couldn't really care less... people are still bitching about it in that thread?  My post about it in this thread was my genuine shock that so many users on here seem to be enjoying it because the official thread on this board wouldn't give you that impression.

But just from reading this thread, the opinions on RDR2 are pretty divided. Even people who enjoy it admit there are some serious flaws. Only one person definitively put it as their GotY. 

3 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

But just from reading this thread, the opinions on RDR2 are pretty divided. Even people who enjoy it admit there are some serious flaws. Only one person definitively put it at their GotY. 

Yeah, from the sound of it, most people here would be a lot more comfortable with it at #2 or #3.  Still damn good.

7 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

But just from reading this thread, the opinions on RDR2 are pretty divided. Even people who enjoy it admit there are some serious flaws. Only one person definitively put it at their GotY. 

Shit I can admit the flaws... I'll post them once I finish the game, but one glitch kept me from playing the game for two days and I wouldn't have been able to continue if it wasn't for REDITT thank god :p I definitely think the game's optimization was rushed, but It's nowhere near as bad as it's detractors on this board would have you believe... not even close. The game really is good in spite of it flaws  which to me, are dramatically overstated on this board for some reason but that's my personal opinion. I gave up on the other thread talking about it and don't want to derail this one, but after the mission I played last night, I had to force myself to stop playing and may have to reconsider my personal GOTY rankings. Again, I'm not finished yet.

1 minute ago, crispy4000 said:

Yeah, from the sound of it, most people here would be a lot more comfortable with it at #2 or #3.  Still damn good.

Exactly... it seems like the top two contenders are Spiderman and God of War, with God of War having the edge... at least in this thread :p RDR 2 and Celeste seem to be fighting for number 3 at a quick glance.

2 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I was on record multiple times saying I expected it to be my definitive GotY. Then I actually played it. :p 

It's not terrible, but there are some serious flaws that take away my enjoyment. I enjoyed God of War, Tomb Raider, even Spider-Man(and some people remember me stating my early issues with it) more. And there's still Smash in a couple weeks.

I just figured this game would have been universally loved by the board, but after having actually played it, I can easily see why people aren't crazy about it. It does a lot really well, but the controls just really hamper the enjoyment most people should be having for it. 

I still expect it to walk away with GotY from gaming "journalism," but I swear Rockstar paid them off, because the review scores aren't reflective of the quality of the game.

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Exactly... it seems like the top two contenders are Spiderman and God of War, with God of War having the edge... at least in this thread :p RDR 2 and Celeste seem to be fighting for number 3 at a quick glance.

DQXI deserves it more than Celeste, but no one is fighting over that. :p

I'm personally waiting for RDR2 on PC.