What is your current GOTY?

nublood

RDR2? God of War? Holding out judgement for an upcoming game? Tetris lol?

RDR2 is gorgeous but that’s about it. It’s fun at times and I can see the appeal. But it’s not my personal GOTY. I’m gonna try GOW for the first time in a few days and I’ve heard great things. We’ll see how I like it. 

What about you guys? What say you D1P??

Spider-Man.

It's not the most technically impressive game, and it does little to push open world games forward as a genre, but it was the most fun I had playing a game this year. It also adheres best to my number one rule of video games: don't waste my time. Spider-Man doesn't waste a second (when it's not loading). Combat is fast and fluid, getting around the map is both easy and fun, and you're never far away from something to do.

There is a lot to admire about both GoW and RDR2, but Spidey is an easy choice for me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I think it cracks my top 5 due to a lack of games I wanted to play. 

I'm betting I'm going to enjoy Spiderman and AC:Od more than RDR, which makes 3 above, and then I also really enjoyed Pillars 2 (more niche for sure) and I think I'd also put Far Cry 5 above it, because its campaign in coop was a ton of fun.

Most of the Switch games I played a lot of this year came out earlier, but I might have to review that game list.

GOW, RDR 2, Spider-man, Celeste, Astrobot. All of them close but GOW takes the top spot.

I still need to play more AC and some of my favorites that may have taken a spot are switch releases but the games didn’t actually come out this year. Like ys8, undertale, Okami.

Honorable mentions:

Starlink

Tetris Effect

Not counting because it’s not fully released yet so I’ll count for next year:

Life is Strange 2

My God I think it's Forza Horizon 4.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic game, but usually I go for the soulful indie titles that actually try to push storytelling in games forward, and I feel like none of those types of games came out this year. Anyone have any recommendations? 

6 hours ago, Moa said:

My God I think it's Forza Horizon 4.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic game, but usually I go for the soulful indie titles that actually try to push storytelling in games forward, and I feel like none of those types of games came out this year. Anyone have any recommendations? 

Celeste

11-11 Memories Retold

The Messenger

Return of the Obra Dinn

Life is Strange 2

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Spider-Man.

It's not the most technically impressive game, and it does little to push open world games forward as a genre, but it was the most fun I had playing a game this year. It also adheres best to my number one rule of video games: don't waste my time. Spider-Man doesn't waste a second (when it's not loading). Combat is fast and fluid, getting around the map is both easy and fun, and you're never far away from something to do.

There is a lot to admire about both GoW and RDR2, but Spidey is an easy choice for me.

This. My thoughts exactly.