Discord "accidentally" made a viewbot and now its April Fool's video has over 1.4 billion YouTube views

WWW.IGN.COM

Discord’s April Fool's video blew up on YouTube, securing hundreds of millions of views in just a handful of hours, but it seems there’s a lot more going on here than meets the eye.

Discord’s April Fool's video blew up on YouTube, securing hundreds of millions of views in just a handful of hours, but it seems there’s a lot more going on here than meets the eye.

The video, called ‘Discord Loot Boxes are here’, is a straightforward April Fool’s joke about adding loot boxes to the online communication platform. That, you would have thought, would be that. But something odd happened: the video saw hundreds of millions of views in the blink of an eye, so many, in fact, that it blew past the record set by the all-conquering GTA 6 trailer.

How can this be? It seems Discord accidentally ‘viewbotted’ its own April Fool’s video. Software developer Marvin Witt took to X / Twitter to say that Discord managed to create a working YouTube view bot by playing the loot box announcement trailer on loop in the background of the in-app toast notification about the video itself. Witt suggested this was accidental on Discord’s part because a member of staff expressed confusion at what had happened. IGN has asked Discord for comment.

The video that "broke" YouTube:

• Sicko Sherman 2

Just now, Reputator said:

Sounds more like a particular server you have a problem with.

No, it's in general.

Across various games, discord is used to host guides, tutorials, and general information and it sucks.

Just now, Bacon said:

No, it's in general.

Across various games, discord is used to host guides, tutorials, and general information and it sucks.

Oh, I wasn't aware of any of those features. I don't touch that stuff. I just have servers for various hobbies like retro PC hardware, headphone enthusiasts, etc. And for that reason it does a lot of good for a lot of people. Some really good communities have formed on there.

Just now, Reputator said:

Oh, I wasn't aware of any of those features. I don't touch that stuff. I just have servers for various hobbies like retro PC hardware, headphone enthusiasts, etc. And for that reason it does a lot of good for a lot of people. Some really good communities have formed on there.

Discord is fine when it is just a live chat or when used to ping for time-limited in-game events.

When it's not that it sucks.

11 hours ago, Bacon said:

No, it's in general.

Uh... Youtube??

I don't think I've ever used or even been made aware of Dicsord being used for guides or tutorials. "General information" is basically on any platform though.

Discord is great for online communities.  For example, for the X-Wing miniatures game I play, it's how all the online tournaments/leagues are coordinated, and even many of the local meetups.

My teenagers use discord for voice chat with all of their friends, while they are playing online.

It's really indispensable. 

4 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

This seems like the kind of thing that would get a channel banned on youtube and likely face litigation from youtube’s lawyers. 

The day is still young!