So the NFT era is at or near a close I presume?

HardAct

We don't hear anything about them anymore!

Are they over/gone or in a vegetated state ready to resurface when the time is right? Last thing I remember in the NFT news world was that guy who had his monkey/gorilla NFT stolen and was privately trying to negotiate it back at some egregious amount. I remember being stunned that he was willing to pay that amount for something that is not "REAL"! Oh I remember he was going to / or planning some kind of show using his monkey NFT as the main character or something like that? Thoughts? 

Seth Green's stolen NFT news

The "NFT Era" is very much over, but Ubisoft has yet to receive the memo.

WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Ubisoft's own Quartz NFT initiative may not be up to much, but the company is clearly still enamored with the idea of 'digital ownership.'

• Halal 1

I just finished the article about Seth Green. It just sounds so stupid.  He was creating a show based on the artwork but now that it's been STOLEN from him, he no longer has the rights to the character design? And the next story on that page: "Over the past year there has been over $100 million worth of NFT theft".... Hope this shit dies out sooner than later.

Hey, shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Kid, I got a bridge to sell you! Well EVEN BETTER, a picture of a bridge to sell you! Jeeese wisss gollly mister I don't Knooow. It will be yours forever kid, and no one's picture of a vehicle will ever be able to drive on your picture of a bridge without your say so! Wow, just wow mister how 'bout you Fu%k OFF!  :daydream:

5 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I still think NFTs could be useful in some capacity in the digital world. But 99.9% of people used NFTs and shit coins as a get rich quick scheme which has fully imploded at this point. The bottom fell out of the pyramid.

I actually work in that field and the vast majority of people who do are glad the NFT fad is over and they can develop real use cases for them now. Concert ticketing to where if the ticket gets resold the artist gets another cut will likely be one of the first big things from NFT's. However I've also heard discussions of using them for medical documents/legal documents, music where the creators get a cut if it is resold and many other things. I'm interested in using them for gaming in a way that can support a game long term financially that makes the player and the company money.

• Hype 1

On 11/12/2023 at 5:55 PM, Fizzzzle said:

I still think NFTs could be useful in some capacity in the digital world. But 99.9% of people used NFTs and shit coins as a get rich quick scheme which has fully imploded at this point. The bottom fell out of the pyramid.

the big problem was always going to be that sure you own a thing in one game. That doesn’t mean any developer, even the same developer has to make their next game support or recognize your NFT or ownership of a thing. I mean we already see sequels and the like where cosmetics bought in a previous game are not available in the next game or need to be repurchased, despite the company having your account purchase history. 

the only time they could make sense is for games with very long life spans and have an in-game economy between players. And even then the NFTs will only originate and be useful in that one game. Something like World of Warcraft could have done it back in 2004. Or Eve Online. Games that have been around for decades with a persistent world. 

24 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

the big problem was always going to be that sure you own a thing in one game. That doesn’t mean any developer, even the same developer has to make their next game support or recognize your NFT or ownership of a thing. I mean we already see sequels and the like where cosmetics bought in a previous game are not available in the next game or need to be repurchased, despite the company having your account purchase history. 

the only time they could make sense is for games with very long life spans and have an in-game economy between players. And even then the NFTs will only originate and be useful in that one game. Something like World of Warcraft could have done it back in 2004. Or Eve Online. Games that have been around for decades with a persistent world. 

This. The hard part of cross-game items has absolutely nothing to do with making the data available and everything to do with

1. The technical challenges of actually supporting other content in your game even when provided the data for those items;

2. (and even worse) the fact that those alternative items might make zero sense in your game and cannot be balanced.

Making the data available was always something that's relatively easy with lots of ways to do it, yet NFTs only address that aspect that can already be solved.

NFTs are the ultimate solution looking for a problem. It never actually solves real problems and they're almost always a technically *worse* solution than existing alternatives. The whole concept of blockchain in general is aimed to solve a problem that is never a problem in practice That is, it solves "how do you timestamp events when you cannot trust any timestamp sever or set of servers to even timestamp anonymized data?" This is a fascinating intellectual question that has no real world instances, and the various technical costs you pay to solve it are substantial and multifaceted.

• Halal 1

For games I think the only way it makes sense to me for a decentralized token to exist, be it for money or items or anything else, is if the game is also decentralized. In any other situation, you end up with an outside token that is dependent on a single developer to continue to honor and support that token. If a game like Roblox could somehow exist as an open source project where anyone could run their own server, then storing value (money, items, full experiences) on some outside system would make sense to me. That way I could be the verified owner of something in a way that all servers could agree on. Of course, I can't think of any actual game that would benefit from NFTs.

I can almost see a theoretical value in being able to build a market outside of a game, but when you're still dependent on a developer to allow that market to exist, but you're expecting a developer to support a market that doesn't bring them revenue, which doesn't seem like something sustainable in the long term.

So yeah, NFTs were really never a good idea, and especially not a good idea in games. I'm glad that the bubble has finally burst.

On 11/12/2023 at 10:36 PM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The "NFT Era" is very much over, but Ubisoft has yet to receive the memo.

WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Ubisoft's own Quartz NFT initiative may not be up to much, but the company is clearly still enamored with the idea of 'digital ownership.'

How exactly does an open world NFT work? Will there be sailing? 

15 hours ago, legend said:

This. The hard part of cross-game items has absolutely nothing to do with making the data available and everything to do with

1. The technical challenges of actually supporting other content in your game even when provided the data for those items;

2. (and even worse) the fact that those alternative items might make zero sense in your game and cannot be balanced.

Making the data available was always something that's relatively easy with lots of ways to do it, yet NFTs only address that aspect that can already be solved.

NFTs are the ultimate solution looking for a problem. It never actually solves real problems and they're almost always a technically *worse* solution than existing alternatives. The whole concept of blockchain in general is aimed to solve a problem that is never a problem in practice That is, it solves "how do you timestamp events when you cannot trust any timestamp sever or set of servers to even timestamp anonymized data?" This is a fascinating intellectual question that has no real world instances, and the various technical costs you pay to solve it are substantial and multifaceted.

100%. It's a neat thing we can do, and I'm sure there could be a useful thing it could be useful for some day, but it is not this day. Almost all of what it gets used for is selling things with forced artificial scarcity, or FARTS for short.

That doesn't mean the technology has no value, it just means that for now it's just blowing wind. Wait until someone applies the concept to something that isn't immediately about making themselves a ton of money for nothing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

100%. It's a neat thing we can do, and I'm sure there could be a useful thing it could be useful for some day, but it is not this day. Almost all of what it gets used for is selling things with forced artificial scarcity, or FARTS for short.

That doesn't mean the technology has no value, it just means that for now it's just blowing wind. Wait until someone applies the concept to something that isn't immediately about making themselves a ton of money for nothing.

There may come a day when a use finally emerges for it, but a few years ago I did spend a fair amount of time thinking about different applications where it might be useful and came up empty. And given how many other people were also trying to find applications for it for so many years and failed, we may be waiting a long time before such a problem emerges! :p