~*2023 election results thread*~

19 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

Man, that would be devastating to Republicans if they got it in Florida and that swung the state for Biden. Hard to imagine any scenario at this point where Dems win Florida but lose the election.

To make matters worse for themselves....

1. Florida is a state that relatively recently used such a measure to return voting rights to ex-felons, and the margin wasn't even that close. Not exactly an issue that is typically seen as a conservative staple.

2. This year DeSantis signed a 6 week ban into law. Something even DeSantis knew was so reprehensible that he did it in the dead of night with no fanfare.

3. While it has become less of a Purple state since Trump, it's still far less Red than some states that have already swung big on issues touching on abortion. Such as Kansas, Kentucky, and even Ohio.

With the way that this issue has repeatedly surprised everyone with it's margin of support and staying power it does not seem out of reach that it could lift Biden the 3% that Trump beat him by in '20....

What is this bullcrap? Yeah abortion would probably win but it wouldn't nudge the state as a whole away from Trump. FL is a GOP stronghold, and even the most bass ackwards policies from DeSantis haven't hurt his popularity one bit. We've had, what, one win in Tampa recently? Otherwise FL is leading the charge for some of the most far-right extremism in the country, and it's now the template other deep red states have been modeling themselves after.

13 minutes ago, Reputator said:

What is this bullcrap? Yeah abortion would probably win but it wouldn't nudge the state as a whole away from Trump. FL is a GOP stronghold, and even the most bass ackwards policies from DeSantis haven't hurt his popularity one bit. We've had, what, one win in Tampa recently? Otherwise FL is leading the charge for some of the most far-right extremism in the country, and it's now the template other deep red states have been modeling themselves after.

His approval ratings have tanked since last year: 

WWW.NEWSWEEK.COM

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis is ranked second in a list of governors with the highest disapproval ratings in their states.

Turns out when it's hard to afford to live here, people sour on you when you could actually do something about it as governor.

• True 1

59 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Beshear probably won comfortably in Kentucky on the coattails of his stance on abortion. While he admittedly also won before Dobbs his margin was quite a bit larger this time at 04% vs 5% this time(or a  mere 5,000 vote lead vs. 67,000). Bevins also had unique problems that were specific to him that Cameron did not have this time around....and Beshear still outperformed himself.

This was all in a state that Trump won by over 25%.

Trump won Florida by 3.3% in 2020. For all the hype over Florida being the GOP's one bright spot in 2022, 3% is absolutely still swing state territory.

I am not exactly popping the Champaign, but I see it as a possibility. Nearly every race/ballot measure since Dobbs has outperformed polls in terms of the pro-choice options. Biden, a staunchly pro-choice president vs. the guy who campaigned on and then installed the deciding votes for killing Roe? I honestly don't see why you think it is so outlandish.

• True 1

I'm about to air another part of a multi-part series of Florida's political history, so I've learned more about our state having combed through hours upon hours of debates, interviews, and research, along with multiple interviews from professors and party leaders. I'd say Florida isn't as simple as "Dems fucked," with the caveat that they might still be fucked on the presidential level in 2024 (but that that's not the only thing that matters):

1. As far as Florida wins, the Jacksonville mayoral race was a big deal. Democrats also swept two city council races in Venice, a more Republican area of the state, in a county that swung for Republicans hard in 2022 (school board went from 3D-2R to 1D-4R last year). Nikki Fried's been working on making sure candidates are running everywhere in the state because lack of turnout in 2022 was the death knell to Democrats. Republicans showed up at close to the same levels in 2018, while Democrats had sub-50 turnout, which is abysmal.
  2. I got to speak to Fried a few times last year, and one time we just talked Florida politics for a while. She was really frustrated and cognizant about Democratic issues in the state, and I feel she's been much more involved on the ground, making sure Democrats are messaging constantly to get their positions out in contrast to DeSantis, and getting more Dem candidates to run. What she told me was that Democrats didn't run in a ton of positions last year, and even if a Dem has no chance to win, you'll get more Democrats excited and voting if you actually give them a candidate on their ballot.
    1. On that note, Lincoln project co-founder Rick Wilson came down here to speak to some Democratic groups. The main piece of advice he offered was to register voters, along the lines of, 'If the first thing you think of when you wake up isn't to register voters, then I want you to show me the 15-point pad you have in registered voters, because you don't.' He has Florida roots and detailed how Republicans in the 90s were running people down to mosquito control and assembled a wide bench because of being able to win at the local level. Dems have to do that and not just want another Obama to come along and win.
  3. Democrats have a lot of work to do, but everything I've seen shows they're serious about it, at least. Some things are going to naturally work against them, which makes me think Democrats are going to have it hard for a while; I don't think a lot of people have connected the type of people who are moving here nowadays are more Republican than they used to be. It's not even necessarily all about DeSantis and COVID; retirees nowadays are more Republican, and old people vote more. These people moving here -- well-off white people with money who can afford to move, by and large -- were younger people when Reagan was president during their formative years. Back in the day, many of those old folks moving here were more Democratic. So you have more old people who are reliable voters moving to Florida, and they're more Republican. That's a big deal.
  4. But you also have to look at the fact that political party doesn't necessarily determine what you believe. What have voters backed in direct-democracy initiatives by 60+ percent? $15 minimum wage, giving ex-felons the right to vote, and medical marijuana. I fully believe abortion would be very competitive statewide. Add to that more Democrats running for office to get more people to the polls, and 2024 could, at the very least, help rebuild the Democratic Party in Florida. Democrats don't have to swing the state nationally, but they could very well scare some complacent Republicans who truly believe the state is theirs. If you get turnout among Democrats higher, which an abortion amendment would do, that automatically would help reverse some of their losses from 2022. And Florida and Texas, unfortunately, are the two best pickup opportunities in the Senate for Democrats next year; they need to invest in this state, full-stop.

tl;dr: I don't think it's likely Dems win Florida in 2024, but they still need to invest as if they can because they need to rebuild, they need to tell people what they stand for, including and especially the right to your body, and writing off a state as big as this won't help Democrats at all, especially with so few options in the Senate in 2024.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 6

WWW.CBSNEWS.COM

A group of four state Republican lawmakers threatened to strip the state judiciary of its jurisdiction to hear cases related to Issue 1, the ballot measure approved by voters Tuesday.

The Ohio Republicans said state lawmakers "will consider removing jurisdiction from the judiciary over this ambiguous ballot initiative. The Ohio legislature alone will consider what, if any, modifications to make to existing laws based on public hearings and input from legal experts on both sides."

That's bold, but then again they just kind of ignored the rulings from the Ohio Supreme Court when it came to redistricting

1 hour ago, finaljedi said:
WWW.CBSNEWS.COM

A group of four state Republican lawmakers threatened to strip the state judiciary of its jurisdiction to hear cases related to Issue 1, the ballot measure approved by voters Tuesday.

That's bold, but then again they just kind of ignored the rulings from the Ohio Supreme Court when it came to redistricting

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • True 4
  • Hugs 1

On 11/9/2023 at 10:15 AM, thewhyteboar said:
WWW.SPOKESMAN.COM

Washington's three most populous counties – King, Pierce and Spokane – stopped counting ballots and evacuated elections workers Wednesday when a suspicious white substance was found in envelopes.

The Democratic challenger for mayor of Spokane (the 2nd biggest city in Washington) is currently up 3%, but they had to delay the count because somebody mailed fentanyl to the election office. 

WWW.SPOKESMAN.COM

Lisa Brown will be the next mayor of Spokane.

And the Democrat wins. That's a huge pick-up. Spokane hasn't had a Democrat as mayor in 15 years.

• Shocked 1

2 hours ago, finaljedi said:

Looks like not everyone in Columbus is onboard with the fuckery the party extremists are seeking

WWW.DISPATCH.COM

A GOP lawmaker's pitch to strip judges of their ability to block abortion bans isn't going anywhere, House Speaker Jason Stephens said.

I wonder how much math they had to do before figuring the political loss would be too large to do something like this even if they knew it wouldn't succeed. 

On 11/8/2023 at 12:16 PM, stepee said:

Wiki: “Moms for Liberty is an American far-right conservative political organization that advocates against school curricula that mention LGBTQIA+ rights, race and ethnicity, critical race theory, and discrimination. Multiple chapters have also campaigned to ban books that address gender and sexuality from school libraries.“

WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

Moms for Liberty was designated an ‘anti-government extremist’ organisation by the Southern Poverty Law Center in June

so, just a group really concerned about FREEDOM

WWW.ROLLINGSTONE.COM

Phillip Fisher Jr., who does outreach for Moms for Liberty in Philadelphia, is a convicted sex offender, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported on Monday.

Unsurprising, all these groups are full of fucking pedos. 

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...