Jon Stewart is walking away from his Apple TV+ series...

Ghost_MH

WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

The planned eight-episode third season of the talk show will no longer proceed.

Seems Apple was unhappy with some words he had over China and threatened to cancel the series if he didn't fall in line. It would seem Stewart chose to walk 

Sources tell THR that there had been tension between Apple and Stewart ahead of the show’s third season return over topics featured on The Problem. Those same sources note that Apple approached Stewart and informed the host that both sides needed to be “aligned” regarding topics on the show. Stewart, sources say, balked at the idea of being “hamstrung” by Apple, which threatened to cancel the series. Stewart, sources say, wanted to have full creative control of the series and, after Apple threatened to cancel the series, told the tech company that he was walking away from the show rather than have his hands tied.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Everything I read about this seems to refer to it kind of obliquely, but what we are almost certainly talking about here is that Apple was trying to give Stewart the Cena shakedown over China and Stewart walked away rather than falling in line, right?

If so, good for him.

Sounds about right. Seems Apple didn't care for his takes on China or AI.

The New York Times reports that along with concerns about some of the guests booked to be on The Problem With Jon Stewart, Stewart’s intended discussions of artificial intelligence and China were a major concern for Apple. Though new episodes of the show were scheduled to begin shooting in just a few weeks, staffers learned today that production had been halted.

Lol, there’s rumors that Apple didn’t want/like him speaking with seated Federal politicians as it is “too controversial”, just state/local ones since they were “lesser known”. Did Apple have no idea who tf Stewart was before approaching him for this show?

He should go to HBO and get Maher kicked off Real Time and take that over :p 

• Haha 1
  • Halal 1
  • Hype 1

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

He should move his show to the #1 streaming service: Youtube

Unfortunately I 99.9999% bet he has a non-compete clause in his contract that will probably exist for some time.

But yes, having him just have his own youtube show would be great. I honestly wish more people did it. Someone like Jon Stewart could start a YouTube channel, say whatever the fuck he wants, and probably make more money than he ever did on TV.

2 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Unfortunately I 99.9999% bet he has a non-compete clause in his contract that will probably exist for some time.

But yes, having him just have his own youtube show would be great. I honestly wish more people did it. Someone like Jon Stewart could start a YouTube channel, say whatever the fuck he wants, and probably make more money than he ever did on TV.

FTC got his back, dawg

• Sicko 1

I used to be a Daily Show mega fan for years and years and years... but I've really lost my taste for these left leaning comedic politics shows. They all feel the same to me.

Apple has a very touchy relationship with China. If China decides to put the screws to them they can basically destroy their entire corporation overnight with the stroke of a pen. It's a symbiotic relationship, in that Apple spends SO MUCH money in China, but at the end of the day, China really likes Apple's money but Apple cannot really continue to exist if China shuts them off.

China's influence on the media and other corporations here is disgusting. It applies to every company that manufactures electronics. It's not unique to Apple, they are just one of the most visible and obvious examples. I wish more companies would stand up to them, but it really isn't in their best interest unfortunately. Sucks.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

On 10/20/2023 at 4:09 AM, Spork3245 said:

Lol, there’s rumors that Apple didn’t want/like him speaking with seated Federal politicians as it is “too controversial”, just state/local ones since they were “lesser known”. Did Apple have no idea who tf Stewart was before approaching him for this show?

He should go to HBO and get Maher kicked off Real Time and take that over :p 

Trying to control him like he's a powerless employee