AMD FSR 3 Livestream Illustration (DF impressions)

crispy4000

• crispy4000 changed the title to AMD FSR 3 Livestream Illustration
  • crispy4000 changed the title to AMD FSR 3 Livestream Illustration (DF impressions)

It sounds a bit more promising the way they are doing it. The way I heard they were working on before was just the driver level one, the actual fsr3 is at least doing real math even if it’s a heavier compute cost being done in software. Definitely sounds like it will be a huge improvement over AMD games with nothing, and hopefully they will consider it close enough they stop paying devs to not include dlss3.

There’s a few issues with the vsync/vrr/input latency so we will have to see how that pans out, especially if you are using this on a amd sponsored game with a nvidia card.

What excites me personally here is the driver level dx11/dx12 solution as that will work on the rog ally @Brian and could be great for maxing out its 120hz screen!

• Hype 1

1 minute ago, stepee said:

It sounds a bit more promising the way they are doing it. The way I heard they were working on before was just the driver level one, the actual fsr3 is at least doing real math even if it’s a heavier compute cost being done in software. Definitely sounds like it will be a huge improvement over AMD games with nothing, and hopefully they will consider it close enough they stop paying devs to not include dlss3.

There’s a few issues with the vsync/vrr/input latency so we will have to see how that pans out, especially if you are using this on a amd sponsored game with a nvidia card.

I've learned to temper my expectations with AMD features -- it will be interesting to see how well it works across a broad spectrum of games.

What excites me personally here is the driver level dx11/dx12 solution as that will work on the rog ally @Brian and could be great for maxing out its 120hz screen!

Not holding my breath on this one.

• True 1

5 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I've learned to temper my expectations with AMD features -- it will be interesting to see how well it works across a broad spectrum of games.

Not holding my breath on this one.

To be clear for the driver level one, I imagine it will not be something I’d ever find suitable on my tv, but on a handheld where artifacts and such are a lot harder to spot, I could see it being pretty cool.

To be fair, on the same day they coincidentally finally answer in regards to Starfield that it’s okay to do…

Starfield_IntoTheStarfield_Wallpaper_256
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

“If they want to do DLSS, they have AMD’s full support.”

lolololololol they do now that there’s only a week left before the early release. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

To be clear for the driver level one, I imagine it will not be something I’d ever find suitable on my tv, but on a handheld where artifacts and such are a lot harder to spot, I could see it being pretty cool.

I hope it is better than I think it will be.  The lack of vector data, and the recommendation to have a base 60+fps rate don't give me a lot of hope.  However, that said, there may be a subset of games (i.e. with a GUI that is pretty stable) that it works really well in.

17 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I hope it is better than I think it will be.  The lack of vector data, and the recommendation to have a base 60+fps rate don't give me a lot of hope.  However, that said, there may be a subset of games (i.e. with a GUI that is pretty stable) that it works really well in.

Yeah, but isn’t frame generation on DLSS3.0 recommended for 60fps+? 

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I thought it was lower than that-- but @stepee was suggesting the use case was a handheld -- and IMHO, for most games they don't seem to close to a solid 40 on many titles.

The ROG definitely hits north of 60 on many titles! It’s a lot more powerful than the deck 

• True 1

21 minutes ago, Reputator said:

None of this stuff is geared towards people like me without a high refresh screen, but feature parity is a good thing to have and I was doubtful AMD could match NVIDIA. Sounds like they can.

Yeah, these are my feelings. 

I'm really glad this could theoretically work on consoles, but 60fps without upscaling is a pretty tall order.  Maybe some indie games can get there.  Or this is why a PS5 Pro exists.

My pie-in-the-sky-dream of taking 30fps to vsync'd 60fps with algorithms is completely dead.

5 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Yeah, these are my feelings. 

I'm really glad this could theoretically work on consoles, but 60fps without upscaling is a pretty tall order.  Maybe some indie games can get there.  Or this is why a PS5 Pro exists.

My pie-in-the-sky-dream of taking 30fps to vsync'd 60fps with algorithms is completely dead.

Consoles are meant to be inexpensive gaming devices.  You can pick any 2 of inexpensive hardware, 4k, and high frame rates for a modern game-- but can't have all 3.

That dream is still available for a GPU with dedicated AI cores.

9 hours ago, stepee said:

dlss3 isn’t so bad at taking 30 to 60 already and 40 to 80 is more than fine so it’s not really that pie in the sky. On AMD, unless they start investing in AI, then yeah probably will never happen

I've heard 40 to 80 is the sweet spot for DLSS3.  But that 30 to 60 can work in some games.  I'd be thrilled if the next Nintendo handheld had a VRR display, but um yeah, Nintendo.

9 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Consoles are meant to be inexpensive gaming devices.  You can pick any 2 of inexpensive hardware, 4k, and high frame rates for a modern game-- but can't have all 3.

That dream is still available for a GPU with dedicated AI cores.

This is too defeatist of an outlook.  The whole point of upscallers was to make 4k more attainable.  It's moved the quality bar forward in some ways, sure, but I believe we're seeing many more 60fps 4k-ish games than we would be otherwise.  Even more if you lower standards to 1440p.

It kinda sucks that frame generation can't be used for the same means this gen, but that's okay.

Or maybe amd IS finally adding AI/ML to their gpu architecture and fsr3.5 on pro consoles WILL work for 30>60 :ooo

They won’t be ready even if they are finally working on it, and no way will the way fsr3 works ever be good enough for that, but maybe in time for next gen!

Some developer is going to try using the driver level frame gen and fsr2 on current gen consoles to go from like 400p/30 to 4k/60 and it’s going to be beautiful in an abstract art sort of way 

11 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

More importantly GPUs that are only slightly overpriced rather than ridiculously so!  At least they look ok, but need some reviews, really want to upgrade by 5700 xt, but don't want to fork over 600+ for a GPU atm.

I got a 5700xt as well (good card) and will probably pull the trigger on a Sapphire Pulse 7800xt.