Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter's Grandson: ‘We’re in the Final Chapter' (Rosalynn has dementia while Jimmy's in hospice)

jimmy-carter-081823-2-a62d1dd6d01b4f7e9f
PEOPLE.COM

Josh Carter tells PEOPLE that while it's 'different' visiting grandparents Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter's home now that they've grown a bit quieter, 'they are still here, they are still holding hands and still very much together'

In February, the Carter Center announced that Jimmy, 98, had decided to cease medical intervention and enter hospice care "to spend his remaining time at home with his family." Three months later, the Carters revealed that Rosalynn, now 96, has dementia.

But while Jimmy and Rosalynn aren't as active as they used to be, Josh clarifies that they're still present and aware of what's going on around them.

As for his grandfather, "He’s still fully Jimmy Carter," Josh says. "He's just tired. I mean he's almost 99 years old, but he fully understands [how many well wishes he's received] and has felt the love."

Rosalynn, Josh adds, understands that she has dementia and even signed off on the press release that revealed her diagnosis in May. "She still knows who we are, for the most part — that we are family," he says, noting that a good night's sleep improves her symptoms. "My grandmother is still able to form new memories."

Josh says that it's "gotta be hard" for Jimmy to see his wife of 77 years losing some of her memories — "but on the other hand, they've experienced everything that you can together. I think the beautiful thing is that they are still together."

"It's clear we're in the final chapter," Josh says. And though having a "runway" to send his grandparents off won't make their losses any easier, knowing that "they lived their lives to the fullest" helps.

snake-salute.gif

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, TUFKAK said:

Those are so addicting, I didn’t even care about the stuff I was trying to get, other than the Kirby plush.

Gachapon are the capsule machines where you turn a crank. UFO Catchers are the claw machine-equivalent. You wouldn't find a Kirby plush in a gachapon unless it was like the size of a ping pong ball.

7 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

Gachapon are the capsule machines where you turn a crank. UFO Catchers are the claw machine-equivalent. You wouldn't find a Kirby plush in a gachapon unless it was like the size of a ping pong ball.

It was a tiny one so yes, it was Kirby themed and that’s what I spent way too much yen trying to get. It’s somewhere in my game room now. I refuse to play the claw machines cause I suck at them. Unless they’re the tiny ones.

29 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

It was a tiny one so yes, it was Kirby themed and that’s what I spent way too much yen trying to get. It’s somewhere in my game room now. I refuse to play the claw machines cause I suck at them. Unless they’re the tiny ones.

I generally avoided UFO Catchers, but last trip I did spend about 1500 yen to get a variety pack of Chip Star cans from a machine. Plushes and figures, whatever, snack foods that I could just buy at a konbini? Hell yeah.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

A classy lady..

She put in a lot of effort to bring attention to the need of services for  mental health and emotional well being…. so of course Reagan defunded the Mental Health Act, so Alzheimers

77 years together is something to aspire to, but this probably accelerates President Carters deterioration as well.