Paramount dropped the LD/SNW crossover episode early after screening it at Comic Con.

17 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

AWESOME!!!! oh wait I have no clue what you're talking about :lol: what are LD/SNW?!?!?!

If you don't know what those acronyms are then this thread is presumably of no interest to you. :p

Spoiler

Lower Decks and Strange New Worlds

Lower Deck is actually probably the best of the new Trek shows in my eyes, but Strange New Worlds is closing the gap at #2. It was such a good episode. I normally don't watch the ready room after show stuff, but is was a pretty good one I thought. 

I hope they do another cross over episode or let Jack and Tawny do live-action again somehow. Was just so much fun seeing them do it for real.

• Like 3

Such a fun episode. Probably my favorite episode of SMW this season. I had just finished episode 6 Sat and was taking to my sister about when *ding* episode 7 dropped. I was so excited. Did not disappoint one bit. 

I recommend watching the Ready Room episode about this one. It’s also good. 

Frakes directed this episode of SNW and the “Riker” line when Boimler got on the saddle in a very Riker manner was a complete adlib. Frakes’s wife was on set that day and burst out laughing.

4 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Such a fun episode. Probably my favorite episode of SMW this season. I had just finished episode 6 Sat and was taking to my sister about when *ding* episode 7 dropped. I was so excited. Did not disappoint one bit. 

I recommend watching the Ready Room episode about this one. It’s also good. 

Hide contents

Frakes directed this episode of SNW and the “Riker” line when Boimler got on the saddle in a very Riker manner was a complete adlib. Frakes’s wife was on set that day and burst out laughing.

Spoiler

Getting on the saddle was also improvised. He was also looking directly at Frakes as he said it and that in the moment he knew he had to seize the opportunity. :daydream:

On 7/24/2023 at 10:55 PM, Gavin King said:

Lower Deck is actually probably the best of the new Trek shows in my eyes, but Strange New Worlds is closing the gap at #2. It was such a good episode. I normally don't watch the ready room after show stuff, but is was a pretty good one I thought. 

I hope they do another cross over episode or let Jack and Tawny do live-action again somehow. Was just so much fun seeing them do it for real.

I mean, Picard S3 is far and away the best season of “New Trek”.

SNW has been very good, and LD is fun, but none of them come close to Picard S3. 

Discovery has just been awful all around.

None of them come close to DS9, which is only surpassed by B5.

I think I've been more positive than most when it comes to new Trek, but Lower Decks has been my favorite by far, and Strange New Worlds is quickly catching up. Seeing a crossover was just wonderful. I didn't realize that we'd even get some animation. Good Trek comedy exists exactly on my wavelength, and this was as good as Trek comedy has ever been in live action.

I really wanted to love Picard.... it was... okay. S3 was by far the best, nostalgia was strong, but the story never really gripped me. I just don't find myself rewatching it any time soon, where as Lower Deck I've rewatched multiple times, and just caught up on SNW, but easily can see rewatching it in preparation for new seasons.

100% agree that DS9 is the best Trek. Growing up, I thought it was TNG, but as I've gotten older, DS9 has edged it out for the story and character arcs. Voyager can be a lot of fun, and I actually really liked Enterprise, wish they could have gotten a couple more seasons back in the day.

• Like 1

I gotta say, this weeks episode of SNW was pretty damn good. This and episode two of this season are by far the series best episodes.

5 hours ago, Gavin King said:

I really wanted to love Picard.... it was... okay. S3 was by far the best, nostalgia was strong, but the story never really gripped me. I just don't find myself rewatching it any time soon, where as Lower Deck I've rewatched multiple times, and just caught up on SNW, but easily can see rewatching it in preparation for new seasons.

100% agree that DS9 is the best Trek. Growing up, I thought it was TNG, but as I've gotten older, DS9 has edged it out for the story and character arcs. Voyager can be a lot of fun, and I actually really liked Enterprise, wish they could have gotten a couple more seasons back in the day.

I loved S3. S1&2 were awful. I personally love all of the TNG era trek. I still think, at its best, it still holds up today. Episodes like Inner Light/Far Beyond the Stars/In the Pale Moonlight/Yesterday’s Enterprise will always be yop tier television. Picard and Disco never got anything close to that. SNW has gotten some special stuff though.

5 hours ago, TUFKAK said:

This crossover episode is one of my favorite Star Trek episodes.

up there with The Pale Moonlight, Yesterdays Enterprise, Balance of Terror

I think episode 2 this season was the best of SNW so far. But I agree the crossover was excellent 

I loves how they played off the way they speak in Lower Decks to SNW not being a cartoon/reality thing but more of a history/different times thing. I think I was generally surprised how well the characters felt in the SNW 'real' world considering LD has such a different tone, but it just all worked. Hope they do it again, even if it does get hard to constantly repeat 'time portals'  as a plot device to make it happen.

I'm not butt hurt over a musical episode... but musicals are just not my thing. It seemed like they did a good job and all, I appreciated them trying to make a musical make 'sense' in a sci-fi world.... but yeah... just was not really into it. For me, whole thing was kind of meh, fine.

• Halal 1

I liked the musical one but only because my wife has gotten me into them over the last few years, she does theater on the side and she LOVED the episode.

I think this is the one series other than Lower Decks that could have pulled it off since SNW is embracing the campiness of TOS to a large degree.

• Like 1

It pulled it off, barely. Even my cheese meter went a bit overload there, but I still really enjoyed it and don’t think it’s out of line with Star Trek. There were episodes of cheesy silliness in every series I’ve seen (Enterprise being the only one I have not). 

Similar to @elbobo, I probably would not have enjoyed it prior to meeting my wife. She got me to appreciate live theater. 

I used to despise musical episodes with a passion but Buffy's pretty much single handedly changed my mind.

The show runners of SNW did say that they were measuring themselves against Once More With Feeling(it's pretty much the gold standard of the genre), but I wonder if the mention of bunnies and Uhura saying "I've got a theory" were intentional nods.

I liked the episode. I thought La'an's performance was the standout of the episode. Some of the others had a bit too much auto tuning.

• Like 1

Evidently there is a shortage of strong singers in the cast. La’an and Uhura were both the stand outs to me. I still enjoyed it, but even with that much digital help, most of the cast were not much better than a community theater actor singing live. Good enough, but just barely so. 

2 hours ago, Massdriver said:

Evidently there is a shortage of strong singers in the cast. La’an and Uhura were both the stand outs to me. I still enjoyed it, but even with that much digital help, most of the cast were not much better than a community theater actor singing live. Good enough, but just barely so. 

Spock was autotuned to fuck. 

On 8/8/2023 at 1:44 AM, Jason said:

Spock was autotuned to fuck. 

I assumed most were unless they dubbed over the crew with actual singers, like Disney would do in animated movies sometimes. 

I do wonder what the plan for next season is. Overall I do really enjoy the show. I wish it was less indulgent in fan-service and would focus more on THIS crew and telling new and original stories rather than on the NEXT crew and tying everting into TOS. The only show worse about this behavior was Picard. You could say LD, but that’s part of that shows schtick. That would be like criticizing LD for not being live action and telling ground moral allegories. I feel my issues with SNW are closer nit picks than foundational. 

ranking Star Trek shows at the moment I’d probably go with 

DS9

TNG

SNW

Lower Decks

Enterprise

Prodigy

Discovery

Picard

Voyager

TOS

TNG just edges out SNW because with the season length and number of seasons they were able to tell more stories. LD almost seems unfair to rate, as I love it so much because of the shows I love that came before it. I could easily rate it higher. TOS I could never really get into. I do like the movies, especially 6, and I appreciate what it did to start franchise. I just don’t care to watch the episodes. 

On 8/12/2023 at 7:34 PM, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I assumed most were unless they dubbed over the crew with actual singers, like Disney would do in animated movies sometimes. 

I do wonder what the plan for next season is. Overall I do really enjoy the show. I wish it was less indulgent in fan-service and would focus more on THIS crew and telling new and original stories rather than on the NEXT crew and tying everting into TOS. The only show worse about this behavior was Picard. You could say LD, but that’s part of that shows schtick. That would be like criticizing LD for not being live action and telling ground moral allegories. I feel my issues with SNW are closer nit picks than foundational. 

ranking Star Trek shows at the moment I’d probably go with 

DS9

TNG

SNW

Lower Decks

Enterprise

Prodigy

Discovery

Picard

Voyager

TOS

TNG just edges out SNW because with the season length and number of seasons they were able to tell more stories. LD almost seems unfair to rate, as I love it so much because of the shows I love that came before it. I could easily rate it higher. TOS I could never really get into. I do like the movies, especially 6, and I appreciate what it did to start franchise. I just don’t care to watch the episodes. 

God that’s a bad list. 
Discovery is absolutely the worst. TOS is wonderful, and Picards 3rd season alone puts it ahead of all the new shows, even though I love SNW. And Voyager isn’t DS9 or TNG good, but it’s still a great series that is bettEr than all the new stuff. 

I would say

DS9

TNG

Voyager

Picard (s3 is the best season of trek)

SNW

Enterprise (s3&4 are incredible, minus the Finale)

TOS

Lower Decks (I truly enjoy it, just can’t take it seriously)

Prodigy

TAS

Discovery (buried deep down where hopefully nobody can find it).

hell, I would even put Fan made Star Trek Continues above Discovery. That show was just awful from day 1. Spocks sister, human trying to be vulcan, starting a war, the lack of any military protocol on ship whatsoever, the awful story full of holes every season, the Burn. 

Honestly, the online good things that came out of Disco were Saru (who should have been Captain from the moment the OG captain died), Lorca, and the crew of SNW. Apparently it’s viewership was awful throughout, so Im glad SNW and Picard S3 seem to have succeeded with reports of high viewership (SNW is reported to be the highest streamed show this summer, anf it deserves it. The only real miss for me was the musical)

Also La’an and Uhura were the best in the musical because both had music careers before they were actresses. Everyone else basically had their songs built around their specific musical “Talents”.

16 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Ah yes, because Discovery is the first and only show to not demonstrate proper military protocol in the Star Trek franchise. 

It’s not, but disco is completely devoid of it. And you take one of my many problems with it, instead of my complaints as a whole. The captain should not be giggling in the mess with her crew. Everything adds up. It’s an awful show, and an even worse Star Trek show. 

I don’t even know how they made Burnham so unlikeable, it’s quite a feat, because she’s incredibly charismatic and charming in real life, and fantastic in almost everything else I’ve seen her in. But god she’s awful in Disco. 

Four full seasons in, I know less about the Disco bridge crew than I did about SNW’s after a single season, except for Tilly. 

• 5 weeks later...