Xbox Games Showcase + Starfield Direct - 10:00 AM PT TODAY / Extended Showcase 10 AM PT June 13

Keyser_Soze

A lot of interesting takes here if that's a bad showcase.

Starfield stuff alone was enough to carry most any other show.

My main complaint is Hellblade 2 needed to show combat.  We've seen it enough times already to know how it'll look, now show the advances in combat.

Little to no actual gameplay, the “in engine” nonsense a cop out. 

I believe only 4 actual dates. I get in the current climate Devs are less willing to put a solid date on things and that’s fine. But when you’re a company that is being bashed for not having any games, and you don’t deliver dates as well as not actual gameplay to prove the games are close? Not good. 

“Let’s just say 2024 for everything so we look good, then we’ll delay it all later”

Starfield looks pretty awesome. Just hope all those mechanics actually work properly and the bugs are limited for something so grand. 

The first party stuff they showed, outside of Starfield, looks pretty meh

But at least there’s games? Maybe?

B-

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

I believe only 4 actual dates. I get in the current climate Devs are less willing to put a solid date on things and that’s fine. But when you’re a company that is being bashed for not having any games, and you don’t deliver dates as well as not actual gameplay to prove the games are close? Not good. 

I don’t necessarily understand why they’re so behind on games but personally I couldn’t care less when the games come out. 

I really liked the show overall, probably Microsoft’s best ever.  The worst parts of it were somewhat surprisingly the hangovers from the past: we really didn’t need another tone piece from Hellblade 2.  Fable was a beautiful tech demo of Playground’s cutscene direction, but they should have been able to show the game itself by now.

Avowed and Clockwork did it right by comparison.  Lots of exposition as to what they are, but with some gameplay mixed in.  I don’t think those games will be mentioned in the same breath as a Microsoft’s bigger projects, but they looked very material and real in a way I appreciated.

Compulsion showed a beautiful trailer for their game, which we still don’t really know much about.  I’m cool with that considering how well Microsoft counterbalanced it with gameplay of other things.

Which Starfield really took the cake on.  I’m convinced that this is so much more than space Fallout, which otherwise I would ignore. I kind of wish Nintendo and Sony would lean this hard into their games in addition to their shows, like Microsoft did here.  It’s a good format.

I think Microsoft proved today that in their good years, they are not perpetually behind Sony.  With the additions they’ve made, they can come out ahead of them content-wise in the hype cycle.  Competition is good, and I like Bethesda as a counterweight.  Even in a decent year for Sony, this show would more than hang.

And on that note… they really don’t need Activison for it be exciting for us.

Starfield, man...not much else to say about it. Looks outstanding. They put so many Easter eggs & little world building things in their games, I can't wait to see what kind of stuff there is to discover. 

The ship upgrading might be my favorite "early" aspect of it. I wasn't expecting that we could add modules to our ships & completely change them up. I just assumed it'd be under the hood upgrades...pretty cool surprise. 

If we can truly fly to a moon when we see one, this game will be a time killer for sure. And some jerkoff will still have the ending spoiled on YouTube opening weekend :p

18 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Well cop out or not, Aaron Greenberg said as much:

still feels like splitting hairs. If it’s not gameplay it may as well be full CG for all anyone cares and how much it will reflect the final product.  

17 hours ago, Dodger said:

Just bought the Starfield controller. Tempted to get the headset just because but I never play multiplayer games.

I want that watch and case. Only edition they didn’t have available for actual preorder yesterday. 

My big thing with starfield (and I’m a big Bethesda guy), is ok it’s got everything kinda that you’d want on a checklist for a game like this. But something about it has me wondering - is this actually gonna be fun to play? I hope so but something about it has me worried. 

Disappointing that many of these are still a ways away, but this is probably the most promising lineup of games from any platform in the past several years. 

When the Xbox Series X/S launched, it was clear that if MS could get all of their studios organized in a way to stagger game releases appropriately, Game Pass would be unbelievable (and unbeatable) within a few years.  It's taken longer than I thought, but this presentation was a glimmer of what lies in store.  The relative lack of GAAS is also extremely relieving.

• Keyser_Soze changed the title to Xbox Games Showcase + Starfield Direct - 10:00 AM PT TODAY / Extended Showcase 10 AM PT June 13
19 hours ago, ShreddieMercury said:

Disappointing that many of these are still a ways away, but this is probably the most promising lineup of games from any platform in the past several years. 

When the Xbox Series X/S launched, it was clear that if MS could get all of their studios organized in a way to stagger game releases appropriately, Game Pass would be unbelievable (and unbeatable) within a few years.  It's taken longer than I thought, but this presentation was a glimmer of what lies in store.  The relative lack of GAAS is also extremely relieving.

Well now they're talking about 4-6 year development cycles, so maybe that's still a tall ask.

fable-richard-ayoade.jpg
WWW.VIDEOGAMESCHRONICLE.COM

Xbox Game Studios chief Matt Booty has said that modern games have development cycles of over half a decade in some cases, in an attempt to put to rest the fan expectation of new games every “two or three years.”

It is great to see them announce almost nothing multiplayer focused this year.

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

Well now they're talking about 4-6 year development cycles, so maybe that's still a tall ask.

fable-richard-ayoade.jpg
WWW.VIDEOGAMESCHRONICLE.COM

Xbox Game Studios chief Matt Booty has said that modern games have development cycles of over half a decade in some cases, in an attempt to put to rest the fan expectation of new games every “two or three years.”

It is great to see them announce almost nothing multiplayer focused this year.

I don't see all of their projects being the type of painstakingly animated, graphically advanced (and almost comically morose) narrative adventures that eat up that much time though.  Game Pass is a haven for the AA, mechanically hook-y type games that are faster and more efficient to produce.  I would guess that MS is developing some of these huge adventures, but that it won't comprise their entire first party portfolio in the same way that it seems to for Sony.

I could be very, very wrong.  This is what I'm hopeful for though, and what I think makes the most sense when considering how to compete effectively.  Hi-Fi Rush is the best and most lauded MS published game in a generation, and it's a $30 throwback to gen 6.

23 minutes ago, ShreddieMercury said:

I don't see all of their projects being the type of painstakingly animated, graphically advanced (and almost comically morose) narrative adventures that eat up that much time though.  Game Pass is a haven for the AA, mechanically hook-y type games that are faster and more efficient to produce.  I would guess that MS is developing some of these huge adventures, but that it won't comprise their entire first party portfolio in the same way that it seems to for Sony.

I could be very, very wrong.  This is what I'm hopeful for though, and what I think makes the most sense when considering how to compete effectively.  Hi-Fi Rush is the best and most lauded MS published game in a generation, and it's a $30 throwback to gen 6.

I was actually surprised to see inExile making an AAA game.  There's room for stuff like Pentement and Hi-Fi Rush from 1st party studios.  But Microsoft probably believes they need to build their AAA footprint all the same.

Sony still has smaller projects too.  People forget they showed Helldivers 2, divert resources into VR games, etc.  I'd bet some of their multiplayer forward stuff won't be strictly AAA either, but who knows for sure with how little they pulled back the curtain.

• Like 1