Jury Duty is one of the best new shows of the year (Amazon Prime/Freevee)

The trailer tells you pretty much everything you need to know: Ronald thinks he’s participating in a documentary about serving on a jury, but for the entire time, everyone he’s interacting with is an actor (including James Marsden as himself) and everything is being captured by dozens of hidden cameras. So the people around him are being ridiculous, and as you’re watching it you think “how is he not catching on?” But we’re just seeing the highlights of weeks, not the full, probably pretty boring days of testimony and such. The real magic is that Ronald is never the butt of the joke, he’s the protagonist. It’s like the kindest prank show imaginable. 

The idea is basically Parks And Rec/The Office, but in a courtroom, and one person thinks it’s real.

The wife and I loved it. Ronald may actually be a terrible person (I don’t think he is, but it is TV…), but he comes across so pure in the show. He seems like a genuinely good person, always trying to be helpful to these crazy characters 😂

On 6/8/2023 at 11:28 AM, Gavin King said:

So binged it all last night, then started rewatching with the commentary, which might even be better. Kept saying just one more just one more.

Oh man, these commentaries are great. It’s definitely the kind of show where I want as much behind the scenes as possible. 

Agreed! So good and loved the insight they provided to the behind the scenes process. Didn't know I wanted essentially real life Truman Show, big now I want a season 2.

Genius that they put the setting as jury duty. I'm not sure what other environment/situation you could pull this show off in where you can take away cell phones, internet, and really the outside world for 3 weeks and make it all believable.

How do you fake a jury summons? Wouldn't you need the help of the actual court? It kind of feels like that should be a crime. Assuming I'm understanding the premise of this show correctly. I've done jury duty like 5 times, this seems wild to me.

It does sound fun, though.

5 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

How do you fake a jury summons? Wouldn't you need the help of the actual court? It kind of feels like that should be a crime. Assuming I'm understanding the premise of this show correctly. I've done jury duty like 5 times, this seems wild to me.

It does sound fun, though.

He answers a Craigslist ad looking for for people who had never served to be in a documentary about the jury process. I think that’s how they explain away any irregularities (like why he serves on a jury in LA when he lives in San Diego). They’re set up in a courthouse that was recently(?) closed. There are definitely times where he thinks something is up, but as the creators say, they deposit so much into the “reality bank” (like full days of depositions with very few jokes) that after a while it’s easier to think that you’re just surrounded by weirdos, not an incredibly elaborate TV production. 

On 6/10/2023 at 5:14 PM, Gavin King said:

Had never heard of that and had to look it up: 

Yes, sounds very similar. was The Joe Schmo show any good?

At the time it was ok. Incredibly corny and seems crazy he never figured it out. But the dude they got is so genuine and nice you kinda just get sucked in. 

I tried to sell my sister on this show. She’s hesitant, because she doesn’t like the idea that she could get Truman Show’ed in her day to day life. I feel the opposite: it would be such a relief to find out that my mediocre life has been subtly scripted this whole time. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...