Disney Removes Dozens Of Series From Disney+ & Hulu, Including ‘Big Shot’, ‘Willow’, ‘Y’ & ‘Dollface’

It's just weird, I don't know all those titles, but Willow and Mighty Ducks are shows they just released.

Why pull them altogether? I guess they know all the backroom deals that make these profitable, but it seems like if it's already done and available, why pull them from the service?

2 minutes ago, ort said:

It's just weird, I don't know all those titles, but Willow and Mighty Ducks are shows they just released.

Why pull them altogether? I guess they know all the backroom deals that make these profitable, but it seems like if it's already done and available, why pull them from the service?

I think they're looking to license the content out to other streamers and not pulling a Zaslav? 

3 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

That's exactly what they're doing - they're being shopped to platforms like Pluto TV.

Or is it because Mighty Ducks is WOKE. Boys and girls playing hockey together? What's next? Boys dressing as girls playing hockey?

18 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Those and other ones that approximate blackface like when Dee pretends to be Latina 

Did Disney pull it or did the IASIP people realize it was best to try to deep six those as much as possible? 

18 minutes ago, Jason said:

Did Disney pull it or did the IASIP people realize it was best to try to deep six those as much as possible? 

Just noticed it today so idk. Googling around I find articles from last month about it. It really is probably for the best but I still think those episodes are funny. Luckily I have physical copies of most of the seasons ripped to my Plex server. 

11 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

That's exactly what they're doing - they're being shopped to platforms like Pluto TV.

WTF is Pluto TV?

You know what, I don't actually care. To me it's just another made-up thing that exemplifies how absolutely fucked the television world is right now.

• Haha 1

On 5/19/2023 at 10:37 AM, Jason said:
6-shot.jpg?w=1024
DEADLINE.COM

Disney is starting to pull content from streaming, with dozens of series and specials slated to leave Disney+ and Hulu on May 26

Thanks for the heads up on this I will watch Willow this week.

All of these companies are going to need to license content to other platforms. Very little of the content keeps producing viewer minutes around a year out from initial release, so the best way to keep monetizing the decent stuff on your service that isn’t getting watched is to sell streaming rights to other platforms that are in need of fresh content for their subscribers.

54 minutes ago, Reputator said:
disney-plus-logo.jpg
WWW.CBR.COM

Amid its coming streaming content purge, The Walt Disney Company reverses its decision to pull the documentary Howard from Disney+.

That's one less. So I guess it's possible not all of them are ultimately getting pulled.

"Howard" is staying for those who don't want to click.

Didn't even realize they had a documentary on Howard Ashman but I'm totally watching this when I get the chance.

That's part of the problem with these streaming exclusives. Some of them are properly marketed but most of them are just dumped on the services with little fanfare. Of course these things are gonna bomb if those who would normally be interested are completely unaware they exist.

• True 1

On 5/19/2023 at 9:27 PM, Reputator said:

WTF is Pluto TV?

You know what, I don't actually care. To me it's just another made-up thing that exemplifies how absolutely fucked the television world is right now.

Pluto TV is actually pretty cool. You should download it. It's like getting 200 goofball channels completely free. They have a channel that's nothing but 80s episodes of Price is Right 24 hours a day. Lots of old stuff like classic Dr Who and Star Trek and who knows what.

It's completely free and full of weird funny content and some stuff that is surprisingly decent.

And it's free, and I'm pretty sure you don't even need to make an account.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ort said:

Pluto TV is actually pretty cool. You should download it. It's like getting 200 goofball channels completely free. They have a channel that's nothing but 80s episodes of Price is Right 24 hours a day. Lots of old stuff like classic Dr Who and Star Trek and who knows what.

It's completely free and full of weird funny content and some stuff that is surprisingly decent.

Plex has TV channels like that, so if you have Plex and don't want Pluto then check that out instead. They have cool Spanish channels that cuss.

• Halal 1

I think Pluto TV and that Plex TV streaming thing are basically the same service... or at least they are getting their content from the same sources... a lot of overlap.

Like I said earlier, I'm like 90% sure you don't even need an account. You download Pluto and it's like subscribing to dollar store off-brand cable. You get hundreds of channels of weird ass shit.

I should finish up Willow tonight but so far this has been the best fantasy series I've watched since Game of Thrones. As much as I liked Wheel of Time S1 it made some bad changes and felt rushed (needed two more episodes I would say) where as this takes it's time, has fun light comedy and everyone seems to be having a good time. Shame this only got one season I heard it wraps up nicely at least?

On 5/23/2023 at 11:24 AM, ort said:

its not bad, but it has more damn commercials than regular broadcast tv

and I guess I missed out on seeing Willow or the second season of Mighty Ducks. I actually enjoyed the first season and also enjoyed the basketball show they cancelled 

13 hours ago, DPCyric said:

I should finish up Willow tonight but so far this has been the best fantasy series I've watched since Game of Thrones. As much as I liked Wheel of Time S1 it made some bad changes and felt rushed (needed two more episodes I would say) where as this takes it's time, has fun light comedy and everyone seems to be having a good time. Shame this only got one season I heard it wraps up nicely at least?

Willow Behind the Magic special they have on Disney+ was good.

4 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

and I guess I missed out on seeing Willow or the second season of Mighty Ducks. I actually enjoyed the first season and also enjoyed the basketball show they cancelled 

The second season of Mighty Ducks was pretty bad compared to S1, IMO, so you didn’t miss much. Big Shot (the basketball show) S1 was incredible, 2nd season they changed the writing style to seemingly try to target a younger demographic and a lot of the magic from S1 was lost, but it was still pretty good - was honestly disappointed when S2 was dropped all-at-once instead of weekly with zero advertising as I figured “oh, guess this will be the last season”.

9 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

Quantity of commercials isn't even as bad as it's the same fucking couple of commercials every commercial break.