Florida House bans Chinese citizens from owning homes or land anywhere in the state

T6ALWHBBMFDYLO5PRRRRUQ3SL4.jpeg
WWW.TAMPABAY.COM

The legislation has sparked protests across the state and divided Democrats.

SB 264 would limit land purchases near military bases and critical infrastructure from residents of a handful of foreign adversaries, including Russia, Iran, North Korea and Venezuela.

Only Chinese citizens would be prohibited from owning land — or homes — anywhere in the state.

Passed during Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, as well. It's expected to pass the Senate and be signed by DeSantis. If a person from China is a US citizen or permanent resident, then they are exempted. 

I actually am not 100% opposed to limits on foreign ownership of land if the person is not using it for personal use (i.e. ban foreign landlords from making speculative land/home investments). But targeting a specific nationality...

Wut. How the fuck is this constitutional?

Oh right, because we have corrupt assholes in the SC who will just say it is.

EDIT: Ah okay, this is exempted for proper US citizens. They're probably fucked then as shitty as it is!

11 minutes ago, legend said:

Wut. How the fuck is this constitutional?

Oh right, because we have corrupt assholes in the SC who will just say it is.

EDIT: Ah okay, this is exempted for proper US citizens. They're probably fucked then as shitty as it is!

It has been a pretty regular feature of American governance to limit foreign national investment in domestic affairs, including real estate. It is actually a pretty common feature globally to limit foreign ownership of real estate, at times more the norm than the exception.

I'm relatively sympathetic to the idea of limiting foreign investments in real estate, but I think it seems unnecessary and kinda racist to specify it to only the Chinese. I would guess that they're by far the largest ethnicity to buy land and homes abroad, but why limit it to just them? Canada recently passed a nationwide law to prohibit residential property by non-canadians, and several other nations from Denmark to Mexico to New Zealand have similar measures, but I'm not aware of bans that specify only people from certain nations.

Even when DeSantis gets close to something that I might agree with, he just can't help himself but throw something terrible in there.

• Halal 2

40 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Passed during Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, as well. It's expected to pass the Senate and be signed by DeSantis. If a person from China is a US citizen or permanent resident, then they are exempted. 

Alright, that dispels most of my outrage over this issue. There's certainly other, bigger, worse and more pressing matters in Florida to fill up my mental and emotional bucket past full.

• Halal 2

I'm not necessarily opposed to any law that bans foreign nationals from buying real estate in America that they don't live in. Our land shouldn't be used as investment properties for rich people in other countries, it's bad for... well, everything.

Granted I also think we should divorce ourselves from tying land to exponential growth/capitalism, but still, baby steps

• Halal 2

This is actually kind of similar to the whole Disney land situation, in that Florida is almost hitting on the correct policy note...just for entirely the wrong reasons. If they simply banned all foreign ownership of property and buildings (outside of those who are residents within state for X% of the time, for their primary/vacation home), then it would be good policy. But this is clearly xenophobic.

• True 3

27 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

All residential real estate should be limited from corporate investment. 

Literally the only reason corporations are interested is that they expect restrictive zoning to artificially limit the supply of new housing well below the demand for it and thus provide outsized investment returns for the indefinite future. This isn't some big secret, they openly put it in their investment prospectuses.

If you object to corporations and rich foreigners buying up real estate then fix the fucking zoning so it's not such a juicy investment target in the first place.

• Halal 2

10 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

This is actually kind of similar to the whole Disney land situation, in that Florida is almost hitting on the correct policy note...just for entirely the wrong reasons. If they simply banned all foreign ownership of property and buildings (outside of those who are residents within state for X% of the time, for their primary/vacation home), then it would be good policy. But this is clearly xenophobic.

100%, broken clock etc etc

Just now, Jason said:

Literally the only reason corporations are interested is that they expect restrictive zoning to artificially limit the supply of new housing well below the demand for it for the indefinite future. This isn't some big secret, they openly put it in their investment prospectuses.

If you object to corporations and rich foreigners buying up real estate then fix the fucking zoning so it's not such a juicy investment target in the first place.

I wish I could upvote you more than once.

I also wish zoning laws was a more sexy voting topic

• Like 1

Just now, Fizzzzle said:

I wish I could upvote you more than once.

I also wish zoning laws was a more sexy voting topic

Anything that isn't fixing the fucking zoning (and instituting a land value tax) is performative feel-good nonsense that's explicitly designed to make people feel good about themselves without actually doing anything to solve the housing crisis.

• Halal 1

38 minutes ago, Jason said:

Anything that isn't fixing the fucking zoning (and instituting a land value tax) is performative feel-good nonsense that's explicitly designed to make people feel good about themselves without actually doing anything to solve the housing crisis.

Fixing zoning laws would do so much for, like, everything. That's not hyperbolic. Like name an issue and I could probably find a way that fixing zoning laws would make it better.

2 hours ago, unogueen said:

I don't  think citizenship should be such a thing, and it should be such a thing because it's hard. But what's this supposed to curb?

It's so the Repulsivekins can say they are tough on China, while Sleepy China Joe loves the CCP yeah you know me! 

This is a perfect fascist bill. The headline it generates is shocking as intended, but the details of the bill itself are worded in a way that gets moderates to argue about the value it does accomplish. So as this gets debated it becomes the new normal setting the stage for a more extreme bill in the near future.

Just look at how Don't Say Gay created a huge outcry by banning LGBT lessons up till 3rd grade and then a year later is expanded to include all grades and barely makes ripple.