THR: the 50 Best Films of the 21st Century - Another list to argue about

2023_03-top50movies-splash-2-FINAL.jpg?w
WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

Over the course of a few months, several Zoom meetings, and countless emails, six THR film critics came together to hash out, and rank, what they consider the greatest films since 2000.

These lists are always simultaneously meaningless and fun to argue about. The best and most accurate commentary I've seen on this list, though:

spacer.png

• Haha 1

There are a ton of movies that I haven't seen on that list, and some I don't remember even hearing about.

Black Panther stands out as the one WTF inclusion. Personally, I don't even think it was the best Marvel movie released that year, much less one of the best films in the last 23.

I'd also give The Coen Bros at least two spots. I love both Serious man and Llewyn Davis, but Llewyn Davis in particular would almost certainly be top 5 for me as well. I do find it interesting that No Country didn't make the list (and that There Will Be Blood only got an honorable mention).

The Social Network, Wall-E, and Burning would also all be shoe-ins for my personal list.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

Well at least this isn't another best of list that ignores the entire world except for the US.

People love Zodiac. I really just don't get the high praise. Like it's fine, and even very good, but not even close to an all-timer for me.

Same with Get Out. Premise is great. The social commentary was great. But it just kind of fell flat for me. Especially the third act. And this is a problem in all of Jordan Peele's movies: he sets up an interesting premise with strange inexplicable phenomena, and then tries to reveal all of the answers in unnecessary detail with an absurd and convoluted explanation.

Anyway, it's not a bad list. I think some of the placements are weird, but overall pretty good. I'd probably include Whiplash, Requiem for a Dream, maybe Hero or Crouching Tiger, probably Old Country, some PTA representation, Squid and the Whale (or other Baumbach), something from Wes Anderson. Black Panther and Bridesmaids can definitely go. Same with Social Network.

3 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I’m of the same opinion with Zodiac. I really like it but it’s like the least good Fincher movie. 

Villeneuve and Nolan not being somewhere on this list is also kind of a travesty. 

Nolan did get an honorable mention. Several of my favorites this century have been Nolan films, so I'm sure he'd populate my list more than this one.

2 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

The Social Network is one of the most prescient movies of the past 20 years. 

“You better lawyer up asshole” is something my brothers and I text to each other on a shockingly regular basis 😂

2 hours ago, johnny said:

yeah list is terrible lmao. going by the rest of the list BP def only made the cut for the reason pointed out in the OP 

When I saw that at the top of the list I was thinking there were going to be a ton of comic book movies on the list because it was made by a bunch of hopelessly pop cultured dorks or something. But nope. I mean it was good for a Marvel movie and it meant a lot to a lot of people, but in terms of filmmaking it’s just kind of blah. There are way better comic book movies to pick since 2000 that’s for sure.