Napoleon (starring Joaquin Phoenix, directed by Ridley Scott) - Official Trailer #2

47 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I feel like there’s not that many 4+ hour movies that are truly worth watching. :p 

I’ll watch LoA soon enough 

I was thinking more like 2.5+ hours to be considered a "longer" film. Not sure what constitutes a "longer" film for each individual but most seem to complain once a film goes over 2.5 hours. The amount of bitching when The Irishman dropped on Netflix was pretty amusing (a 3.5 hour long film). I've seen people binge entire seasons of a TV show in one long sitting but for some reason these same people can't sit through one 3.5 hour film which means it's apparently harder to do than four 1-hour long episodes in a row, and for some reason we can pause TV shows but not films. Obviously pausing is not ideal, but it's better than missing out on something completely or in the alternative demanding movies can't go over some arbitrary length the individual person doesn't like.

:shrug:

9 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I was thinking more like 2.5+ hours to be considered a "longer" film. Not sure what constitutes a "longer" film for each individual but most seem to complain once a film goes over 2.5 hours. The amount of bitching when The Irishman dropped on Netflix was pretty amusing (a 3.5 hour long film). I've seen people binge entire seasons of a TV show in one long sitting but for some reason these same people can't sit through one 3.5 hour film which means it's apparently harder to do than four 1-hour long episodes in a row, and for some reason we can pause TV shows but not films. Obviously pausing is not ideal, but it's better than missing out on something completely or in the alternative demanding movies can't go over some arbitrary length the individual person doesn't like.

:shrug:

2-2.5 is kinda average nowadays 

• True 1

42 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

2-2.5 is kinda average nowadays 

It is, yet people complain once you cross 2.5 hours, frequently. Crossing 3 hours and you'll hear even more complaining. Length doesn't matter; editing, etc. does. I've watched 1.5 hour films that felt like an eternity and then there are films like Oppenheimer that are 3 hours that speed by. Length isn't inherently problematic in itself, it's the filmmaking that makes it good or bad. But instead people will simply hear "3 hours long" and check out when that in itself doesn't reflect the quality of the film itself.

8 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

It is, yet people complain once you cross 2.5 hours, frequently. Crossing 3 hours and you'll hear even more complaining. Length doesn't matter; editing, etc. does. I've watched 1.5 hour films that felt like an eternity and then there are films like Oppenheimer that are 3 hours that speed by. Length isn't inherently problematic in itself, it's the filmmaking that makes it good or bad. But instead people will simply hear "3 hours long" and check out when that in itself doesn't reflect the quality of the film itself.

I never said length was a problem, I just said I can’t find that time to commit to a movie right now :p 

Long movies are fine as long as they deserve that length. Lately, however, I’d argue we have too many 2.5-3 hour movies that definitely don’t need to be that long

• True 1

• 1 month later...

FOUR HOURS-LONG DIRECTOR'S CUT INCOMING!

WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Exclusive: Total Film speaks to director Ridley Scott

Ridley Scott is no stranger to a director's cut, and his upcoming movie Napoleon will be no different.

The director, known for an incredible body of work that includes Gladiator, Alien, and Blade Runner, has been open about his plans for a director's cut of his new film, Napoleon. Now, he's given Total Film magazine an update on how it's looking in our celebration issue.

"I’m working on it. It was four [hours] 10 [minutes] this morning," Scott tells us in the new issue, which hits newsstands on Thursday, October 12. "And so what will happen is, we’ll screen [the theatrical cut] first with Sony, and then it has its run, and then the perfect thing is that [the director’s cut] goes to streaming, and we have four hours 10 minutes."

• Like 2
  • Hype 1

Ah, so a shitty theatrical cut ala Ridley Scott's previous films (checks notes here): Blade Runner, Legend, The Counselor and most importantly Kingdom of Heaven followed by a much improved director's cut? Just makes me want to wait for the director's cut this time. I know Scott has other director's cuts of many of his other films but the rest have very negligible changes. The four aforementioned movies have pretty significant director's cuts by comparison.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Napoleon (22 November 2023 - starring Joaquin Phoenix, directed by Ridley Scott) - Official Trailer #2
2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The knowledge that a "definitive" cut of the film is coming in the relatively near future has all but eliminated my desire to watch it in the theater.

I think I’ll do both. Only thing keeping me from the theater is the loud popcorn chewers but I really want to see this one. 

• True 1

• 4 weeks later...

Welp, it would seem we were right - the theatrical cut looks like a good but truncated experience, 4-hour director's cut is what to wait for and watch. But if it's getting solid/good reviews in its truncated form, that's a good sign.

WWW.SLASHFILM.COM

After watching the theatrical cut of Ridley Scott's Napoleon, you'll probably be wishing you waited for the director's cut instead. Here's our review.

COLLIDER.COM

Starring Joaquin Phoenix and Vanessa Kirby, Ridley Scott's latest is one of his most grandiose projects to date.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

Am I the only one bothered they didn't even attempt to have characters speak with a French accent? Like I can kinda pass Ancient Greek epics using British accents but this isn't like some long lost language.

That's what I was getting at by saying this

On 7/10/2023 at 9:38 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

Gonna need some subtitles since it's so French!

But no one at this board cares about this sort of thing.

6 hours ago, Air_Delivery said:

Am I the only one bothered they didn't even attempt to have characters speak with a French accent? 

I'd much rather them not even bothering to attempt French accents than risk the entire film's cast sounding like Pepé Le Pew or Inspector Jacques Clouseau in The Pink Panther films.

Otherwise, this movie could've turned out to be even more of a comedy (unintentional?) than it genuinely appears to be!

WWW.INDIEWIRE.COM

Those worried about a glorification of the dictator needn't have feared. "Napoleon" is a comedy more than a historical epic.

WWW.EMPIREONLINE.COM

Joaquin Phoenix plays the legendary French emperor. Read Empire's Napoleon review.

21 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I'd much rather them not even bothering to attempt French accents than risk the entire film's cast sounding like Pepé Le Pew or Inspector Jacques Clouseau in The Pink Panther films.

Otherwise, this movie could've turned out to be even more of a comedy (unintentional?) than it genuinely appears to be!

I don't necessarily have an issue with the actors not using accents but more they didn't use French people. Now, more than ever, entertainment is global. Anyone can fire up a Japanese / Korean / Chinese / etc show off of Netflix and watch it anywhere. Korean shows regularly bring an English speaking person on as some weird foreigner, but they generally don't use them as the main protagonist. Koreans are Korean and Aussies are Aussies.

Sure Joaquin Phoenix is a great actor but it's strange placing him in the shoes of a French person. It's kind of like when they cast John Doman as the Pope in Borgia, great actor but just sounded like a dude from PA rather than a Pope from Spain. There has never been a better time to cast someone more fit for the part.

As a small aside not related to movies, this is one of the reasons I love Tekken. Everyone in Tekken speaks the language from the company they represent regardless of where the game was released. This is the way to do it.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

26 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I don't necessarily have an issue with the actors not using accents but more they didn't use French people. Now, more than ever, entertainment is global. Anyone can fire up a Japanese / Korean / Chinese / etc show off of Netflix and watch it anywhere. Korean shows regularly bring an English speaking person on as some weird foreigner, but they generally don't use them as the main protagonist. Koreans are Korean and Aussies are Aussies.

Sure Joaquin Phoenix is a great actor but it's strange placing him in the shoes of a French person. It's kind of like when they cast John Doman as the Pope in Borgia, great actor but just sounded like a dude from PA rather than a Pope from Spain. There has never been a better time to cast someone more fit for the part.

As a small aside not related to movies, this is one of the reasons I love Tekken. Everyone in Tekken speaks the language from the company they represent regardless of where the game was released. This is the way to do it.

You'll get absolutely no argument from me there whatsoever.

Unfortunately, in this situation, we're dealing with a big budget Hollywood epic directed by Ridley Scott whose penchant for accuracy (historical, cultural, or otherwise) is practically non-existent.

32 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Or the bar scene in Inglorious Basterds

46 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Agreed, except . . . 

18 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Unfortunately, in this situation, we're dealing with a big budget Hollywood epic directed by Ridley Scott whose penchant for accuracy (historical, cultural, or otherwise) is practically non-existent.

Even someone with Scott's clout can't seem to fund these big budget "swords and sandals" period epics without casting big names. Exhibit A: Exodus: Gods and Kings. I mean, The Last Duel just released and takes place entirely in France and yet all the main characters are played by Americans like Adam Driver, Ben Affleck and Matt Damon. He can't even frequently release his preferred cut as the theatrical cut, hence why he has many director's cuts of his many films. We're lucky Scott cast three actually African/Middle Eastern brown people for the three main roles in Kingdom of Heaven for the Muslim side of that film (and they did a great job) but that seems to be the exception rather than the rule. 

Just now, Greatoneshere said:

Agreed, except . . . 

Even someone with Scott's clout can't seem to fund these big budget "sword and sandals" period epics without casting big names. Exhibit A: Exodus: Gods and Kings. He can't even frequently release his preferred cut as the theatrical cut, hence why he has many director's cuts of his many films.

Also, I just don't think Ridley gives a damn.

WWW.INDIEWIRE.COM

"Napoleon" director Ridley Scott told critics to "get a life" over nitpicking the historical accuracies of the film.

The film contains the long-discredited myth that Napoleon ordered his soldiers to shoot the nose off the Sphinx so I really don't think that Ridley gives a rip about about such things even if he was afforded the opportunity to do so.

• True 1

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Also, I just don't think Ridley gives a damn.

The film contains the long-discredited myth that Napoleon ordered his soldiers to shoot the nose off the Sphinx so I really don't think that Ridley gives a rip about about such things even if he was afforded the opportunity to do so.

Yeah I don't think he cares either - he's just trying to make what he thinks are good movies that will please the producers/studios enough to fund the next one. He'd probably respond to accuracy criticisms by saying he's making dramatic fictional films, not documentaries. 

There will always be debate about how accurate/true a fictional film based on true story/events/people has to be between spreading misinformation/disinformation and ruining a good movie. I feel like Scott has always done good enough on that front - but he's definitely not Kathryn Bigelow or something.

WWW.NEWYORKER.COM

Does the director of “Alien,” “Blade Runner,” and “Gladiator” see himself in the hero of his epic new film?

When the trailer came out, the TV historian Dan Snow posted a TikTok breakdown of its inaccuracies. (At the Battle of the Pyramids, “Napoleon didn’t shoot at the pyramids”; Marie-Antoinette “famously had very cropped hair for the execution, and, hey, Napoleon wasn’t there.”) Scott’s response: “Get a life.”

idk i don’t care about ridley scott telling people to kick rocks. if historical accuracy is extremely important to you then im sure most movies fall short of your standards. it seems he’s taken more liberties than normal, which im also fine with, as long as it’s good. if it sucks then its a problem for me because its like you strayed from the facts and still made something shitty? come on man. at least entertain me.