CDC warns 20,000 people exposed to measles at two-week long Christian revival event in Kentucky

46 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I know this board loves to bash on religious people -- not all religious people, just certain religions.

But low vaccination rates are usually tied to low education, (which is why places like DC have the lowest rates in the country).

I'm sure a Kentucky revival event was filled with the brightest people in the country.

Also I'm happy to bash all religions! Your stupid made up horse shit is just as invalid as the last. :sun:

• True 1

Some of the same people on this board who are so casual with blatant Christianophobia, seem to be some of the most vocal about some other forms of phobic comments/jokes.  Just an observation.

[As a non-American atheist, I am surprised how Christianophobia has become so normalized in certain segments of the US population, which is causing a similar seep into my own country (but so far, much less pronounced).]

9 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I was a bit surprised that the “low” measles vaccination rate KY has is over 85%. Silly it isn’t higher though.

CDC study has the Kindergarten immunization levels at ~86.5% which is just slightly lower than Houston (87.2%) -- but much higher than Alaska 78% and DC 82%.  (I do find it strange that the CDC decides to call out two cities, and one of them is Houston.)

35 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I was a bit surprised that the “low” measles vaccination rate KY has is over 85%. Silly it isn’t higher though.

Of course it's "high," they all got it when they were kids, before they "learned" about how "harmful" vaccinations are.

17 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Some of the same people on this board who are so casual with blatant Christianophobia, seem to be some of the most vocal about some other forms of phobic comments/jokes.  Just an observation.

[As a non-American atheist, I am surprised how Christianophobia has become so normalized in certain segments of the US population, which is causing a similar seep into my own country (but so far, much less pronounced).]

CDC study has the Kindergarten immunization levels at ~86.5% which is just slightly lower than Houston (87.2%) -- but much higher than Alaska 78% and DC 82%.  (I do find it strange that the CDC decides to call out two cities, and one of them is Houston.)

Yeah, your shitty religious beliefs are not an immutable quality. They're bad logic and reasoning wrapped in hundreds of years of indoctrination-from-birth.

4 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Of course it's "high," they all got it when they were kids, before they "learned" about how "harmful" vaccinations are.

Yeah, your shitty religious beliefs are not an immutable quality. They're bad logic and reasoning wrapped in hundreds of years of indoctrination-from-birth.

Islamophobia and antisemitism are OK then?

13 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I’m not surprised Houston itself has these relatively low vaccination rates. Most data shows that children of immigrants are less likely to be up to date on vaccinations than the children of citizens, and the area served by HISD has a substantial immigrant population. Around 10% of students are immigrants themselves, and another 10-15% are citizens, but their parents are immigrants. I would be curious to see how the numbers change by the time kids get to high school.

15 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Islamophobia and antisemitism are OK then?

As long as no one's advocating for violence, harassment or hate in general, I don't give a shit! Unfortunately, Islamophobia and antisemitism are most often practiced by devout believers in other faiths so the violent rhetoric is quite strong!

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I’m not surprised Houston itself has these relatively low vaccination rates. Most data shows that children of immigrants are less likely to be up to date on vaccinations than the children of citizens, and the area served by HISD has a substantial immigrant population. Around 10% of students are immigrants themselves, and another 10-15% are citizens, but their parents are immigrants. I would be curious to see how the numbers change by the time kids get to high school.

Based on your comment, I looked at Toronto's vaccination rate of schools (In Toronto, 46% of the inhabitants weren't born in Canada) -- and it was 94%.  (With some schools at shockingly low numbers.)

22 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

This doesn’t make sense of the kindergarten vaccination rate being over 89% currently. Who is choosing these vaccinations? It isn’t the kids :p 

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

This doesn’t make sense of the kindergarten vaccination rate being over 89% currently. Who is choosing these vaccinations? It isn’t the kids :p 

Kindergarten? You think anti-vaxxers are sending their kids to LIBERAL public commie schools?!

(But seriously, you get the Measles vaccine when you're about a year old, and got to Kindergarten when you're about 5, so these kids would've been vaccinated riiiight at the start of the pandemic, would be curious about Kindergarteners in the next 1-5 years. These kids should also be due for a booster in the next couple of years. Curious how that plays out.)

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Based on your comment, I looked at Toronto's vaccination rate of schools (In Toronto, 46% of the inhabitants weren't born in Canada) -- and it was 94%.  (With some schools at shockingly low numbers.)

So do you find that to be a similar story there, larger immigrant population correlated with lower vaccination rates in children? Ensuring access to vaccinations and encouraging them by having native language resources (flyers, pamphlets, interpreters) seem to be important tools.

3 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Kindergarten? You think anti-vaxxers are sending their kids to LIBERAL public commie schools?!

(But seriously, you get the Measles vaccine when you're about a year old, and got to Kindergarten when you're about 5, so these kids are riiiight at the start of the pandemic, would be curious about Kindergarteners in the next 1-5 years.)

You need to get a second dose at 4-6.

2 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

(But seriously, you get the Measles vaccine when you're about a year old, and got to Kindergarten when you're about 5, so these kids would've been vaccinated riiiight at the start of the pandemic, would be curious about Kindergarteners in the next 1-5 years.)

Anti-Covid vaccination is not synonymous with being anti-vaccination generally. It will be interesting to see if some of the anti-Covid vaccine stuff seeps in to a broader anti-vaccination POV as time marches on.

10 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

So do you find that to be a similar story there, larger immigrant population correlated with lower vaccination rates in children? Ensuring access to vaccinations and encouraging them by having native language resources (flyers, pamphlets, interpreters) seem to be important tools.

Not sure.  I sorted the schools by vaccination rate, and the lowest on the lists seemed to be French Catholic schools and schools with the name "alternative" in them.

Edit:  Or at least the school name was French, and indicated it was Catholic.]

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Anti-Covid vaccination is not synonymous with being anti-vaccination generally. It will be interesting to see if some of the anti-Covid vaccine stuff seeps in to a broader anti-vaccination POV as time marches on.

It didn't seem like it was for a while, but the sentiment seems to be spreading to a broader anti-vax position, and is, at least to some extent, reviving shit like fluoride being poison/mind control bullshit. Of course that stuff's still fringe but I think the fringe shit just makes the """less""" crazy stances easier to tolerate or buy into.

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I know this board loves to bash on religious people -- not all religious people, just certain religions.

But low vaccination rates are usually tied to low education, (which is why places like DC have the lowest rates in the country).

So, I'm from this general area of the country. Rural KY isn't too different from where I grew up. I also grew up Evangelical Christian and am still religious. 

This isn't solely a public education and public health policy issue. This is also an Evangelical Christianity theological issue. Here lately since Covid, the Evangelical churches at large are more lenient towards people choosing not to vaccinate. They base it somewhat around theology, and it isn't only a political position that congregants assume. It comes from the way the church teaches people to live. Furthermore, there is a big push in the Evangelical culture (and theology) to home-school kids. 

You're right in that low vaccination rates are not solely the purview of the religious right. But what you're missing is that the evangelical Christian community in the US--notably the southern/rural parts of the US--have a theology that also push people into anti-vaxx territory. In this instance, this potential exposure happened because of a theological heresy. 

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

One of my agency’s clients (a state health department) is already running campaigns to broadly promote vaccines because they are seeing distressing trends when it comes to more established vaccinations.  

4 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

It didn't seem like it was for a while, but the sentiment seems to be spreading to a broader anti-vax position, and is, at least to some extent, reviving shit like fluoride being poison/mind control bullshit. Of course that stuff's still fringe but I think the fringe shit just makes the """less""" crazy stances easier to tolerate or buy into.

I think the further removed from Covid vaccine mandates and other political issues surrounding Covid, the less potential impact on other vaccination programs there will be. So my bet would be that any change in rates associated with Covid will be a blip in the historical record. We already had a decades long negative trend in childhood vaccination rates before Covid hit, so may also be difficult to sift through what is a continuation of a trend and what is a new cause.

2 minutes ago, Chris- said:

One of my agency’s clients (a state health department) is already running campaigns to broadly promote vaccines because they are seeing distressing trends when it comes to more establish vaccinations. 

This is interesting. As I just noted above, the last decade we’ve seen a trend of negative growth in vaccination rates in children. From what you’re seeing there, is the concern an increase in the velocity of the drop?

8 minutes ago, CayceG said:

So, I'm from this general area of the country. Rural KY isn't too different from where I grew up. I also grew up Evangelical Christian and am still religious. 

This isn't solely a public education and public health policy issue. This is also an Evangelical Christianity theological issue. Here lately since Covid, the Evangelical churches at large are more lenient towards people choosing not to vaccinate. They base it somewhat around theology, and it isn't only a political position that congregants assume. It comes from the way the church teaches people to live. Furthermore, there is a big push in the Evangelical culture (and theology) to home-school kids. 

You're right in that low vaccination rates are not solely the purview of the religious right. But what you're missing is that the evangelical Christian community in the US--notably the southern/rural parts of the US--have a theology that also push people into anti-vaxx territory. In this instance, this potential exposure happened because of a theological heresy. 

Is that all Evangelical churches, or just certain ones.  I ask that, because states like Louisiana have a relatively large Evangelical population, yet still have a high vaccination rate.

57 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

This is the most baby brained take I’ve seen here in quite some time

please understand the particular brand of white evangelical Christianity that absolutely dominates one political party in this country before commenting further. 

2 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Is that all Evangelical churches, or just certain ones.  I ask that, because states like Louisiana have a relatively large Evangelical population, yet still have a high vaccination rate.

It is more prevalent in some Evangelical churches than others, but the theological seeds are there in all Evangelical expressions to where it could lead to. 

Now, you may be conflating "protestant" with "evangelical." They are not the same, though all evangelical churches are protestant. 

19 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

This is interesting. As I just noted above, the last decade we’ve seen a trend of negative growth in vaccination rates in children. From what you’re seeing there, is the concern an increase in the velocity of the drop?

I’m not on the team that’s working on it but from what I’ve heard yes, there has been a noticeable dip post-COVID. Some of it has been attributed to the effects COVID had on our educational/medical systems (e.g. there are probably parents who - for one reason or another - haven’t kept up with their kids shots), but it’s alarming enough that they are desperate to get a campaign in to market.