When a game on your wishlist goes on sale for ~$5 and you still don't buy it...

Fizzzzle

Why do you still keep it on your wishlist?

I've had games on my wishlist for years and years that go on sale all the time, and I still don't buy them even when they're on sale for $5 or $7.

Most of the time, it's because it's a game in a series that I need to catch up on. For example, Arkham Knight goes on sale all the time, but I still haven't played Arkham City or Arkham Origins. 

I tend to not like to buy stuff that I'm not going to play right away.  If I don't buy a wishlist item that's on a huge sale, it's because I'm in the middle of another game I want to finish and I tell myself that I don't need it right now/I'll get it after I'm done with $current_game.

I don't. When I notice I'm not buying a game on my wishlist despite massive sales, that triggers a pruning phase where I go to my wishlist, sort by active discounts, and prune anything that I have lost interest in.

Then I go over the rest thinking "okay, if this was $5 right now, would I buy it?" and anything I answer no to is removed. I'll occasionally add some back at a later date as interest is reignited, I can be fickle like that.

Reasons I don't purchase:

1) It could be given away free soon on Epic or Amazon.

2) It might end up Humble or Fanatical bundle soon.

3) I think I can do better with my free credit than that particular deal, even if I don't spend a cent of it until later.

4) The content-complete version isn't that cheap.

My wishlist is mainly for games that I have a passing interest in trying, to keep tabs on during Steam sales.  Every so often I'll reorganize it to put the ones I'm more interested in at the top.

Not a lot of well regarded recent games drop to $5 these days.  Chances are they'll be in a bundle or giveaway first.

2 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Most of the time, it's because it's a game in a series that I need to catch up on. For example, Arkham Knight goes on sale all the time, but I still haven't played Arkham City or Arkham Origins. 

It's the opposite for me.  If I own most of the rest of the franchise already, I'll be more willing to complete the set, even if I haven't touched the games before.  Deal has to be real good relative to the past.  DMC4 was the most recent, I got it because of a complete the set discount.

I try not to make too many small purchases a month. I used to buy anything on my various digital wishlists(Video games, graphic novels, etc.) if they hit that sweet $1-5 range until I realized I had spent like $120 one month on those tiny purchases.

I try and be more selective ever since so I don't burn so much in just the span of a month.