Sometimes I hate being an employer

I got a text message from one of my assistant managers tonight while at the family Christmas party. He claimed that during the last rush of the night for Avatar, he and one of our female minor employees bumped into each other which caused him to fall and dislocated his knee leading to him to need to go to the ER. He asked if I could come close up for him, sure, no problem.

About 90 minutes after I arrive, my son and I are helping wind things down and just waiting for the last movie to let out when I see the mother of one of our other minors in the lobby. I go and say hello, and she asks if there is a time during the week that she, her daughter, and the female employee (who supposedly bumped into the assistant manager), could all sit down and talk. I said I'm available right now if they are, no sense in having to reconvene later.

So we all go sit in one of the empty theaters and they start telling me about the assistant manager, (who is 24, married, with a kid) and how for months now he has been going from lightly crude joking to unwanted physical contact, ending with what really happened tonight. Apparently he came up behind her and began "tickling" her around her waist. She told him to stop. He did it again. She then told him if he did it again she would kick him. He did, and she turned around and kicked him so hard in the shin that he tripped and fell on his knee, which is what actually caused his injury.

So I've now spent most of the evening talking to a crying kid who is worried it's her fault he is getting fired.

Talking to parents who are rightfully upset their kids weren't safe at work.

Dealing with police officers needing statements, employment details, etc.

And preparing for the absolute shit storm of busy bodies in the little town getting the pitchforks out.

I ended up texting my former manager who originally hired him and asked if she ever got any sort of complaints or noticed anything off about him, because I never got any sense of that from him. She said not at all, and that of course she would have told me. I also asked my son, who often works shifts with he guy, if he had ever noticed the guy behaving in a way that he thought was inappropriate. He said no. So the guy quite obviously was hiding these things and really only doing stuff on shifts where just the two of them were there for some window of time.

Dudes, just stop being trash!

13 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

That really sucks. I was sexually harassed at an early job by an assistant manager. Problem was, he was the owners’ son, so nothing was done. I reported him to corporate and ended up getting fired soon after for my first sick day in all the time I’d worked there. 

Yeah, I was telling my wife what went on when I got home and she told me about a sexually harassing manager at her first job at Sonic. Awful.

6 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Yeah, I was telling my wife what went on when I got home and she told me about a sexually harassing manager at her first job at Sonic. Awful.

Yep. That was Subway and it was my second job, just as I was graduating high school. My first was at a little locally owned BBQ place and for reasons I cannot fathom, some of the girls there decided to make my life a living hell. Like shoved dirty rags in my face, put dog shit in my car, covered my car in grease another time, just general cruelty. So no sexual harassment, just torture. I didn't understand because I'd known them, they were a year ahead of me in school and had graduated, and I never had any issue with them at school. We had no real associations. Nearly 20 years later and I still don't understand it.

Walmart was the first decent job I ever had. Strange as that sounds, it was a bigger company with a lot of employees and they had actual policies they followed.

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 2

In “what a small world” news, the officer who contacted me and is handling the investigation had a strange last name that happened to be the same as one of my best friends. Turns out they are cousins.

56 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

A close friend of mine dated an employee he was the supervisor of, and they ended up getting married. I think they've been together for almost twenty years.

My gf is my coworker. She gave me the opening at the bar when I leaned in to hear her and she kissed me. She gave the opening. I didn’t make it happen, well outside of my time in the gym.

What was conveyed here was toxic masculinity at its finest.

• Like 1

I feel for you sir! At any given time, I have 100+ people reporting to me and some weeks it seems like I deal with more HR elements than the actual work we are trying to get accomplished. COVID made this all the more fun. I joke that I'm a professional middle child always attempting to keep the peace. I frequently hear from multiple aggrieved parties, who, shockingly, are always right and the other party has no claim or merit, so go on and burn them! Humans, by in large, are incredibly selfish creatures. That said, we don't have to be, but just like strength training, it requires effort to change. 

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, TUFKAK said:

Incel gonna incel

Maybe form relationships with women and realize how often this shit happens to them chud

I mean she could be lying. Maybe they are both lying. Who knows. What I do know is how to have a discussion without name calling all the time. You seem like such a bitter person who supposedly makes lots of money and fucks any woman he wants. I’m starting to smell bullshit. 

4 hours ago, TUFKAK said:

My gf is my coworker. She gave me the opening at the bar when I leaned in to hear her and she kissed me. She gave the opening. I didn’t make it happen, well outside of my time in the gym.

What was conveyed here was toxic masculinity at its finest.

I have the BIGGEST crush on one of my co-workers but as a supervisor I feel it would be a terrible idea to pursue her. Are you guys in different locations?

3 hours ago, TUFKAK said:

Incel gonna incel

Maybe form relationships with women and realize how often this shit happens to them chud

I had an eye opening chat with my wife the other night about sexual harassment she’s experienced. At uni, it would be multiple times a week, which is shocking. 

10 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I mean she could be lying. Maybe they are both lying.

I didn’t think the dude was a creeper before this, but I was pretty skeptical of his claim that he dislocated his knee when he, a 5’10 250 pound grown man bumped into a 5’2, 120 pound teenage girl. It makes much more sense that the karate black belt teenage girl kicked the piss out of his leg and he fell down and busted his knee.

Just got a call from the police department, and unfortunately he was only charged with assault by contact, a speeding ticket level offense.

You wonder why women don’t report this stuff? A dude ACTUALLY grooming a kid for months ends with a class C misdemeanor.

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

I mean she could be lying. Maybe they are both lying. Who knows. What I do know is how to have a discussion without name calling all the time. You seem like such a bitter person who supposedly makes lots of money and fucks any woman he wants. I’m starting to smell bullshit. 

No it’s legit just you that brings this out 😂. Well incels in general but you just manifest it.

I absolutely don’t fuck any woman I want, I’ve struck out with women many times, but when they say no I, now stay with me here, FUCKING STOP! Actually waiting for the installers to come put up my battery wall today too for my solar.

I’ll show Cnut more pics of my life and  she can vouch for me, i think I’ve given a few hundred to people on this board too.

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I have the BIGGEST crush on one of my co-workers but as a supervisor I feel it would be a terrible idea to pursue her. Are you guys in different locations?

Dude we work in the same department, it’s beyond messy. I watched her get hit by this addict and lost my mind, I can’t believe I didn’t end up in jail. My best friend was 100% holding my arm back, bless her 120lb heart 😂

Edit: so it can work, but it better not just be a hookup. My gf started that way but she ended my enm and made me closed and poly. Jokes on me, some skinny white girl changed my life. Her working with me just throws another wrinkle in.

27 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Just got a call from the police department, and unfortunately he was only charged with assault by contact, a speeding ticket level offense.

You wonder why women don’t report this stuff? A dude ACTUALLY grooming a kid for months ends with a class C misdemeanor.

Given the result of this plus him getting fired, what reason would a literal child have for making this up????

good on you for getting rid of this guy. And reaffirming that my daughters will be taking self defense classes as they get a little older. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Given the result of this plus him getting fired, what reason would a literal child have for making this up????

good on you for getting rid of this guy. And reaffirming that my daughters will be taking self defense classes as they get a little older. 

This was more directed at the incel doubting it.

Also, cause I like to flex

TRANSPARENTCALIFORNIA.COM

Search California public, government employee, workers salaries, pensions and compensation

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TUFKAK said:

Dude we work in the same department, it’s beyond messy. I watched her get hit by this addict and lost my mind, I can’t believe I didn’t end up in jail. My best friend was 100% holding my arm back, bless her 120lb heart 😂

Edit: so it can work, but it better not just be a hookup. My gf started that way but she ended my enm and made me closed and poly. Jokes on me, some skinny white girl changed my life. Her working with me just throws another wrinkle in.

I don't just want to hook up with her. It's the first girl in a long time that really has my interest and I'd love to date her. I just think a disaster could happen if things go wrong. I have to stay away.  😪 

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I don't just want to hook up with her. It's the first girl in a long time that really has my interest and I'd love to date her. I just think a disaster could happen if things go wrong. I have to stay away.  😪 

Insert Wayne Gretzky quote here.

im almost universally on board the dont shit where you eat mindset, but my gf kinda ruined that for me. You only get one chance at life.

let me share a story from a younger kab. I had a friend at the jc I went to right after the marines, let’s call her Hanna, absolutely gorgeous, tall 5’11 I think, black hair blue eyes, inked. in hindsight her interest in me was so obvious, I never tried, we legit matched schedules at school, studied daily, went to dinner weekly etc. 

i now get to die with the question as opposed to live with the answer. 

38 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

Insert Wayne Gretzky quote here.

im almost universally on board the dont shit where you eat mindset, but my gf kinda ruined that for me. You only get one chance at life.

let me share a story from a younger kab. I had a friend at the jc I went to right after the marines, let’s call her Hanna, absolutely gorgeous, tall 5’11 I think, black hair blue eyes, inked. in hindsight her interest in me was so obvious, I never tried, we legit matched schedules at school, studied daily, went to dinner weekly etc. 

i now get to die with the question as opposed to live with the answer. 

Oh, I have thought about that exact thing where I'm 40 yrs old and think to myself go for it. But if things were to go wrong it could really screw up my work environment. We talk a lot and text but I never once gave her a clue I'm in love with her. 😄 

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

Oh, I have thought about that exact thing where I'm 40 yrs old and think to myself go for it. But if things were to go wrong it could really screw up my work environment. We talk a lot and text but I never once gave her a clue I'm in love with her. 😄 

So she texts you about normal things?

FWIW I don't think it's unreasonable to be cautious about throwing allegations around, especially where sbl didn't get the impression that the guy was a creep before. But I also think he probably did the right thing by believing the girl and firing his ass. I've talked to my two sisters, various girlfriends over the years, and many female friends about this kind of stuff, and the general pattern I've seen is that far too many men get away with this shitty behavior because they act one way in front of other men and act a completely different way in front of women they're targeting. So, IMO you did the right thing, @sblfilms. Way to look after your employee and be a good dude. Another successful humblebrag thread! :twothumbsup:

:p 

When I talked to him and laid out what was alleged and that he was being terminated, guy didn’t deny a single bit of it. 

I mean, I have screenshots of texts from this adult man inviting a minor child out to late night hangouts where his wife won’t be. He knew I knew and just accepted it, which is about the only respectable thing he did in this situation.

My brother is an assistant manager at a grocery store and he's told me stories about one of the other managers who worked there for a long time. Dude was in his 50s, but was a fucking perv to the teenage girls they hired. He'd had multiple complaints, but was never fired. He did end up leaving for another job a few months ago, but it just infuriated me how this creep got away with this behavior for so long.

The last date I went on was a long time ago with my assistant manager, whom I liked and thought liked me. She said bring your roommate, and I'll bring a friend, so it would be the four of us and she would be more comfortable. She barely talked to me and focused on my roommate most of the night. I soon found out from gossip at work that she wanted to sleep with my roommate . On the date, I didn't even realize that was her intention, and I haven't tried to date since that happened. Even my manager at the time was married, and she kept trying to sleep with another employee who was way younger. This was when i was in my twenties and hadn't yet given up.

We had a game of musical chairs end up with one of our managers in the Er with a torn ACL because someone didn’t like her and deliberately pushed her. Which is weird she’s the sweetest person ever. Poor girl needed surgery and can’t play soccer anymore. Hope she got a fat workers comp settlement 

9 hours ago, Dodger said:

We had a game of musical chairs end up with one of our managers in the Er with a torn ACL because someone didn’t like her and deliberately pushed her. Which is weird she’s the sweetest person ever. Poor girl needed surgery and can’t play soccer anymore. Hope she got a fat workers comp settlement 

This reminds me when I worked at a Best Buy one summer and they had some work event where people can throw a pie in the face of any manager if they received an award. This one girl hated this particular manager and received an award. Instead of throwing it, she smashed it into his face. The manager ended up with a broken nose and the two started shouting at each other. That was the last time they did event like that.