The first half of 2023 is Wallet Breaking

BloodyHell

I really going to curb my spending next year. When I finally got my PS5 I bought all the big games like Ratchet & Clank, Deathloop, Elden Ring, Returnal, Dying Light 2, GT7 and both Spiderman games. Although I got them all for under 40 bucks on disc using Ebay, some as cheap as 20 I still have yet to play any of them. I did play Returnal for about 5 hours but moved on for what ever reason. This isn't breaking the bank but it's just stupid as there found cheaper, or free on PS+ tiers and the "I'll get it it soon" mentality is just stupid in my case! Just makes zero sense. Gamepass Ultimate for the most part has really checked my spending when Xbox is concerned and that's a good thing. I'm really starting to enjoy the smaller Indy type games especially on the steam deck.

Next year I'm really gonna curb my buying of games that I'm not going to play then and there. Of course I've been buying games like crazy for over 30 years so it'll be a work in progress and I'm allowing for as much wiggle room as will keep me sane and content, So say 5500$ budget or less, J/K'n of course....or am I? lol

Games that will not allow patience though coming up really soon are:

1. Resident Evil 4 Remake

2. Dead Space Remake

3. Diablo 4

4.Zelda's next game

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, HardAct said:

I really going to curb my spending next year. When I finally got my PS5 I bought all the big games like Ratchet & Clank, Deathloop, Elden Ring, Returnal, Dying Light 2, GT7 and both Spiderman games. Although I got them all for under 40 bucks on disc using Ebay, some as cheap as 20 I still have yet to play any of them. I did play Returnal for about 5 hours but moved on for what ever reason. This isn't breaking the bank but it's just stupid as there found cheaper, or free on PS+ tiers and the "I'll get it it soon" mentality is just stupid in my case! Just makes zero sense. Gamepass Ultimate for the most part has really checked my spending when Xbox is concerned and that's a good thing. I'm really starting to enjoy the smaller Indy type games especially on the steam deck.

It's not stupid to own.  Personally I prefer having them for keeps as opposed to paying for one year of access at a time.  If it'd take you two years to finish them things would even out, more or less. 

I let my short-lived PS+ subscription lapse and spent $180 on a half dozen PS5 games this year, with no regrets.  Elden Ring in a forced bundle made up most of it.

PC is by far the cheapest option for indies if you're patient.  I spent $80 so far this year and my PC library grew by 220 games.  Maybe only a few dozen of those I'd touch, but even with only these considered it averages out to $2 a pop.  Counting the freebies, of course.  Epic will pad that even further in the coming weeks.

6 hours ago, stepee said:

I’m thinking 24 with a new Mario at this point. Honestly if I can just see the new system and Mario next year I’ll take it as a win.

I think you're correct. I'm curious if Nintendo will continue to not care about power with the next console. GameCube was the last time they attempted to compete with the competition and I absolutely loved it lol. 

5 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

It's not stupid to own.  Personally I prefer having them for keeps as opposed to paying for one year of access at a time.  If it'd take you two years to finish them things would even out, more or less. 

I let my short-lived PS+ subscription lapse and spent $180 on a half dozen PS5 games this year, with no regrets.  Elden Ring in a forced bundle made up most of it.

PC is by far the cheapest option for indies if you're patient.  I spent $80 so far this year and my PC library grew by 220 games.  Maybe only a few dozen of those I'd touch, but even with only these considered it averages out to $2 a pop.  Counting the freebies, of course.  Epic will pad that even further in the coming weeks.

Eh, to each their own, I still buy games, but I love sub services. Especially game pass.

2 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Eh, to each their own, I still buy games, but I love sub services. Especially game pass.

Games Pass this year has been particularly great for playing indies closer to release this year.  That’s the main thing I feel envious about.  Microsoft 1st party will pick up soon too, plus Silksong is out next year.

I expect games like Tinykin, Return to Monkey’s Island, Tunic, Signalis, Chained Echoes, etc to find their way into Humble Choice in 2023/2024.  Or an EGS giveaway.  You can always use cheap PC ownership options as a backup for when games eventually leave the service.

9 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Games Pass this year has been particularly great for playing indies closer to release this year.  That’s the main thing I feel envious about.  Microsoft 1st party will pick up soon too, plus Silksong is out next year.

I expect games like Tinykin, Return to Monkey’s Island, Tunic, Signalis, Chained Echoes, etc to find their way into Humble Choice in 2023/2024.  Or an EGS giveaway.  You can always use cheap PC ownership options as a backup for when games eventually leave the service.

I rarely replay those indie games anyway. Im not a fan of going back to past games in general, unless it’s something I have a ton of Nostalgia fot (FF4-6, LttP, Chrono Trigger, FFTactics, xenogears).

2 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

I rarely replay those indie games anyway. Im not a fan of going back to past games in general, unless it’s something I have a ton of Nostalgia fot (FF4-6, LttP, Chrono Trigger, FFTactics, xenogears).

For me, with the size of my backlog and what I’d still want to play elsewhere, it’d be untenable.  I wouldn’t get to all the games I’d want on GP before they left the service.  Especially if I devoted time to something like Persona 5 on there.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It's a silly argument anyway. You can play up front included with game pass. If you really like it and want to play it again at some point you're free to purchase it and by that time it's heavily discounted most likely.

Not to the poverty level discounts you’ll get through bundles, giveaways, and Amazon redemptions as a Prime subscriber.  If you missed or want to revisit a GP indie game after it leaves, it’ll typically pop in up in Humble Choice next, in a $8 package with 11 other games.

On a related note, I’m surprised how often Bethesda games have been given away or put in bundles this year.  You’d think with Microsoft owning them now we wouldn’t be seeing it anymore.  Oddly enough, the pace seems to have picked up.

• True 1

On 12/14/2022 at 9:56 PM, crispy4000 said:

Or a Fanatical bundle.

• Halal 1