Remnant II (PS5/Xbox Series/PC) - update (04/18): "Invoker Archetype" reveal trailer

Commissar SFLUFAN

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I completed the main and DLC campaigns of the first game, but I did it entirely solo (on the PC with cheats activated :p)

I beat it solo and played a lot of CO-OP with @JPDunks4 and @ARZ That trailer you just posted got me hyped.

3 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

First game was fucking great, gotta finish up the DLC so I'm fully read for this.

I need to try and beat the DLC as well. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Remnant II (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 25 July 2023) - "Surviving the Post-Apocalypse" gameplay overview trailer

In an already stacked year, I fully expect this to be up there as one of my GotY contenders.  Loved the first game.  Good challenge, cool loot system.

The idea of randomly generating each world and which bosses you run into was clever.  If you played solo, you missed so much of the game if you didn't go back and reroll worlds.

I played solo, then ran it co-op as well, and got so many extra useful weapons and items by doing it co-op.  Was a game changer. 

Everything is pointing this to be a step up in most everyway, so hyped.

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Which is exactly what I did to complete quests.

I re-rolled the world state about 20 times to get a particular boss/quest that I was missing!

I am still missing a lot I'm sure.  I need to try to tackle the DLC next few days.

Game Information

Game Title: Remnant II

Platforms:

• PC (Jul 25, 2023)
  • PlayStation 5 (Jul 25, 2023)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Jul 25, 2023)

Developer: Gunfire Games

Publisher: Gearbox Publishing

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 81 average - 85% recommended

Critic Reviews

Spoiler

Saving Content - Evan Rowe - 5 / 5

Remnant II is a deeply imaginative, incredibly well designed game that will excite and thrill you repeatedly. It’s incredible to play with friends, and it’s an adventure unlike almost anything else I’ve ever seen, except for Remnant: From the Ashes. Remnant II builds on the template set out by its predecessor and pushes it to amazing new heights, and it is everything you could ask from a sequel and so much more.

God is a Geek - Mick Fraser - 9.5 / 10

Despite a few shortcomings, Remnant 2 remains one of the most creative, fascinating, and compelling games of the last few years.

NoobFeed - Jay Claassen - 95 / 100

Remnant II is a brilliantly unforgiving game that can and likely will go extremely far, though this is what makes the game so great. Combine that with the droves of lore and detail in the world, and you end up with a game that’s damn near impossible to put down because you’ll feel the need to keep trying and see what happens next. The best aspect of Remnant II is that you don’t have to play co-op, with the right Archetype and weapons loadout, solo is definitely possible and still makes the game extremely approachable for players of any skill level… As long as they have the patience for it.

AltChar - Asmir Kovacevic - 90 / 100

If you have a fondness for engaging shooting mechanics, visually stunning landscapes, and well-designed enemies, along with a certain level of tolerance for Souls-like games, then Remnant 2 is unquestionably the perfect game for you.

But Why Tho? - Katherine Kong - 9 / 10

Remnant II, however, manages to linger in my mind with its glow-up: memorable, impressive, and damningly fun.

COGconnected - Mark Steighner - 90 / 100

Gunfire Games’ Remnant 2 is one of those rare sequels that takes a collection of good ideas and makes them even better. Everything about Remnant 2 is an improvement or elaboration from the first game. It looks great and the action is challenging without being overly punishing. Best of all, Remnant 2 makes creative and meaningful changes to the Soulslike formula, helping it to stand out from a deluge of copycat action RPGs. I can’t imagine any fan of Remnant: From the Ashes being anything but thrilled by Remnant 2.

Digital Chumps - Ben Sheene - 9 / 10

Remnant II punches far above its weight class. Delivering everything players should expect from a sequel, Gunfire Games has created a thrilling, clever spin on a well-worn genre that boasts creative world design and satisfying gameplay that continues to evolve.

Entertainment Geekly - Luis Alvaro - 4.5 / 5

Remnant II has established itself as a defining experience in the genre by pushing boundaries while honoring its roots. The game is not only a worthy successor to the acclaimed Remnant from the Ashes but also a remarkable addition to the Soulslike genre as a whole.

Gamepur - Zack Palm - 9 / 10

My time with Remnant 2 never felt old. I constantly explored new routes and retraced my steps to ensure I had covered every detail, and it became tedious. The endlessly fun gunplay and encounters made each fight, big and small, feel remarkable. Uncovering the mysteries of each world will always sit with me because of how unique and fun they were to dive into. Not only was it fun the first time around, but my second go was just as exciting, and I foresee many playthroughs in my future. It’s a highly replayable adventure, with Gunfire Games illustrating exactly how much they learned from the first title, and I’m already looking forward to all future content that comes out for Remnant 2.

IGN - Travis Northup - 9 / 10

Where Remnant: From The Ashes was a strong first draft, Remnant 2 is a revolutionary sequel and a sterling manifesto for the looter-shooter soulslike.

Shacknews - Sam Chandler - 9 / 10

Remnant 2’s action, loot, and bosses are cranked up to 11. It’s a marked improvement over the first game, with the fat trimmed and all the good parts ready for devouring right from the start. There’s a lot to love here, with more surprises and reasons to play even after multiple playthroughs. Though I do have a few gripes, they fade into the background as there’s just so much to enjoy here in the minute-to-minute gameplay.

The Game Crater - Chris Melnyk - 9 / 10

Remnant 2 is a genre-defining game and a must-have addition to any player’s catalog!

The Outerhaven Productions - Keith Mitchell - 4.5 / 5

Gunfire Games has taken everything it learned with Remnant From the Ashes and expanded on it in such a massive way that I don't think it can top it. But I'm more than happy to see them try. There's something for Remnant junkies, action RPG and Soulslike fans to enjoy, but more importantly, the game screams fun.

WhatIfGaming - Ali Hashmi - 9 / 10

Remnant 2 is one of the best co-op experiences you can have right now, and it improves on the original in every single way. Its satisfying mix of melee and ranged combat, memorable boss fights full of creativity, tons of enemy variety scattered in each biome and excellent presentation make it Gunfire Games' best title to date.

GamesCreed - Mariella Deadman - 4.4 / 5

Remnant II is a fantastic sequel to the original game and offers a varied and exciting world for the player to explore. The gameplay is interesting and the role-play elements are amazingly diverse, meaning every playthrough can feel like a unique and new experience. The combat is kept simple, with the weapons being standard for modern action games. This does not make them boring; however, the excitement comes from the various enemies and Archetypes spicing up the gameplay. The enemies are scaled well as the game progresses and upgrading was a joy, never a chore.

CGMagazine - Matt Keith - 8.5 / 10

While it is hampered a bit by a lacking tutorial on Dual archetypes and some balancing issues, Remnant 2, none the less presents an engaging story, solid combat and great progression systems wrapped in a very well-built world.

Destructoid - Steven Mills - 8.5 / 10

If you were a fan of Remnant: From the Ashes, chances are you already planned to pick up Remnant 2. If you haven’t played the original but are a fan of souls-like games, or even rogue-likes like Risk of Rain 2 or Returnal, this will be right up your alley.

GamingTrend - Henry Viola - 85 / 100

Gunfire Games knew exactly what they were doing when working on the sequel to their sleeper hit from 2019. Remnant 2 improves upon its predecessor in almost every way, with overhauled systems, beautiful environments, fancy weapons, new enemies, deadly bosses, more build variety, and last but not least, more cooperative action. This is a no brainer must play for anyone who enjoyed the first game or for those looking for some challenging gunplay.

Paste Magazine - Moises Taveras - 8.5 / 10

Remnant 2‘s just kind of got all the trappings necessary for me to keep sitting down for hours on end and drown the rest of the noise out in its cacophony of demon/robot/fae/rock-monster/evil village-slaying goodness.

Seasoned Gaming - Patrick Shields - 8.5 / 10

I can't get enough of Remnant 2. When I'm not playing, I'm often thinking about new upgrade paths, character builds, and play styles to explore while adventuring through Remnant 2's engaging worlds.

TechRaptor - Isaac Todd - 8.5 / 10

Remnant 2 is simply the first game but better. Improved customization, worlds, and combat all make for the perfect sequel.

PC Gamer - Rick Lane - 84 / 100

Remnant 2 is a dependable looter shooter made special by its boundless capacity to surprise.

Video Chums - A.J. Maciejewski - 8.2 / 10

Remnant II is the most improved sequel that I've played in a long time and I can't wait for the third installment to release. Until then, I'll enjoy blasting away all sorts of dastardly foes within the absurdly wondrous world that's presented here.

Attack of the Fanboy - Christian Bognar - 4 / 5

Remnant 2 feels like a love letter to the fans of the first, with an emphasis on replayability and some new features. The different experiences that the game can generate from one person to the next are impressive, as each run feels unique. Combat feels great, and the freedom in build creation is a huge improvement over its predecessor. Still, some issues with the game's core may leave some disappointed.

Gamer Escape - Justin Mercer - 8 / 10

Though its overarching story is similarly lacking, Remnant II is a significant step up in quality from its predecessor in all the ways that matter. Everything that set the original apart from its contemporaries has been upped considerably. Boss battles are much more memorable and engaging, the procedurally generated levels more interesting, and the classes more impactful.

I would have preferred to be granted new gear at a quicker pace and have more direct control over my build options in a first playthrough, but the positives otherwise coalesce into a very addicting (and fairly challenging) co-op shooter that’s difficult to put down.

GamingBolt - Ravi Sinha - 8 / 10

Remnant 2 is a worthy successor, taking everything great about the original and expanding it in several fun ways. There are some blemishes and occasional frustrations, but it's still an engaging world-hopping odyssey.

Hardcore Gamer - Jordan Helm - 4 / 5

Building on everything that was great about the original - from enemy variety to boss design to the means by which one can customize their play-style - Remnant II just about scrapes by with a follow-up that befits the mantle of "bigger, better, bolder" in numerous ways.

PCGamesN - Nat Smith - 8 / 10

Remnant 2 marries Matryoshka level design and sublime set pieces with memorable bosses, all while polishing the combat system and build customization of its genre-bending predecessor to a spit shine.

Prima Games - Shawn Robinson - 8 / 10

Remnant 2 makes strides in the lesser-developed areas of its predecessor, to mostly great effect. While some sections have received less love than others, you're still bound to have a good time.

VideoGamer - Alex Raisbeck - 8 / 10

Remnant 2 successfully evolves on its predecessor, isolating and expanding upon the best aspects to create a cohesive and challenging shooter experience, supplemented by stunningly designed environments and a unique story system. A cooperative game at heart, its single-player campaign takes a hit, but never enough to substantially detract from the game’s successes.

eXputer - Usama Mehmood - 4 / 5

With an astounding progression system and rich RPG elements, Remnant 2 elevates itself to heights that its predecessor never reached.

XboxEra - Jesse Norris - 7.6 / 10

Remnant II tickles greatness but falls short due to a few design choices.  It is gorgeous, plays incredibly well, and should be one of the year’s best releases.  I’m not sure if my issues with the game can be easily patched out, but I hope the devs at Gunfire Games give this one the same love the first game received over time.

GameWatcher - Bogdan Robert Mateș - 7.5 / 10

Remnant 2's revamped archetype system and improved world generation breathe new life into what otherwise remains an iterative sequel that sees no need to fix what isn't broken. Great gunplay and creative weapon mods fuel its addictive moment-to-moment gameplay, while offering enough reasons to keep clearing dungeons, grinding materials, and upgrading or trying out new guns.

Niche Gamer - Augusto A. - 7.5 / 10

Overall, Remnant 2 is more of the same, which is not bad if you just want more Remnant. It follows the first game’s formula pretty closely, and despite not having any groundbreaking changes, it manages to be a fun experience with some rough spots here and there.

GGRecon - Dani Cross - 3.5 / 5

With a shortage of co-op games to play, we need to take what we can get, and Remnant 2 handily fills that role. You’ll find plenty of fun here if that’s all you want, but it’s not quite as masterful as the games it’s so heavily influenced by.

GameSpot - Richard Wakeling - 7 / 10

Remnant 2 builds on its predecessor to create a rewarding and unpredictable experience that's difficult to put down.

Push Square - Liam Croft - 7 / 10

Remnant II is better than its predecessor in basically every way imaginable, but an even bigger focus on procedural generation brings with it some baggage. Navigation is more difficult than it needs to be, while the UI leaves a lot to be desired. In the heat of the action, though, Remnant II is a great, satisfying shooter that allows for lots of different team compositions through deep character customisation. Get a few friends involved for some online co-op fun and you could have yourself an all-new obsession.

Siliconera - Elliot Gostick - 7 / 10

Solid gunplay and varied encounters make this Roguelite Shooter RPG a great time with friends, but slightly frustrating to play solo.

Try Hard Guides - Christian Harrison - 6.5 / 10

As much as I wanted to enjoy Remnant 2, I don’t think that a game should be that level of hassle just to get through the first experience it offers. It’s not a bad idea to make boss fights a little harder when more players involved, but your game has to be approachable by players or it will not make a wave among similar titles. Paired with the technical and extreme connectivity issues that we experienced during gameplay, it’s hard to recommend this game to anyone who wants to play without Google open for guides and server status checks.

PC Invasion - Matthew Kevin Mitchell - 4 / 10

If you're searching for a game to play with friends, Remnant 2 can provide an entertaining experience, but you should consider other options if you want a game to play alone. Although the graphics and storyline may not be awe-inspiring, the dynamic generation feature turns Remnant 2 into a game you and your friends can enjoy for an extended period, resulting in one of the most replayable games of the year. Still, I was disappointed with the long-awaited sequel due to frustrating character mechanics, outdated visuals, and lack of a compelling story to connect with.

ACG - Buy

"A huge improvement on the original with some mechanics changes that might rub prior title holders the wrong way. Performance isn't the best but the core gameplay and loop is awesome!"

Polygon - Ian Walker - Unscored

I’m over the post-apocalypse, and it’s going to take one hell of a game to get me interested in such a bleak setting for the foreseeable future. Remnant 2 is not that game.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Jason Coles - RPS Bestest Bests

A staggering improvement upon a solid foundation, Remnant 2 is an engrossing Soulslike that brings all the horror and joy of alien world exploration to wonderfully dark  fruition.

• Halal 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Remnant II (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 25 July 2023) - reviews from OpenCritic posted

I started it, played with a buddy, look up and 5 hours passed by.

Absolutely loving it so far.  Started on Veteran, and it's felt good.  Bosses are a bit tanky so far, but haven't really upgraded any weapons yet.  

Went with Medic, and I've been enjoying it.  Definitely feels like an upgrade in every aspect, and a more fleshed out RPG type experience.

We killed 1 mini boss, but got stuck on our second.

The levels seem far more open ended in this game too, we just kept exploring and it brought us to all types of weird places.

Can't wait to continue.

• True 1

remant2.jpg?width=1200&height=600&fit=cr
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

The Digital Foundry tech analysis of Remnant 2 reveals the advantages of a current-gen focus with Unreal Engine 5 and N…

Remnant 2 certainly makes a great first impression. The game's tutorial area offers a brief glimpse of a Last of Us-style post-apocalyptic city, which offers some satisfying visuals, with excellent artwork, detailed assets and advanced lighting creating a compelling and lived-in environment. However, locales beyond the tutorial area are more mixed, with some - like the dark 20th-century city of Losomn - exhibiting a noticeably less lavish look and relatively basic indirect lighting. These kinds of dusky environments is often hard to light convincingly, and that's certainly true here.

This is perhaps due to the lack of some key Unreal Engine 5 features, such as Lumen real-time global illumination or any ray tracing effects. Instead, the primary UE5 tech is the Nanite virtualised geometry system, which manifests in a distinct lack of LOD pop-in and an excellent level of up-close geometric detail. Virtual shadow maps also appear to make the cut and while shadows are uniformly sharp, there is no visible shadow cascade whatsoever - so no cut-off point where higher resolution shadows give way to lower resolution versions further from the camera.

Another factor is that the game's locations seem to be composed of a series of prefabricated environmental blocks integrated through a procedural generation system. Key areas in each location appear to be the same through multiple playthroughs, but the sections in-between shift for each character you create. Some of these blocks can look quite appealing, from glossy and ornate faerie interiors to more science-fiction themed environments. Interior areas in general seem to fare particularly well, with high-fidelity models and materials. When you get up close to any given asset you can really appreciate how fine-grained the detail can be. Other environmental blocks, like the exteriors of Losomn, prove somewhat less compelling.

In terms of performance, on PS5's balanced mode we're often beneath the 60fps target, with dips all the way to the 30s possible in certain environments and in cutscenes. The 30fps quality mode hits its frame-rate target more reliably, with only occasional single frame drops for the vast run of play. Performance mode adds screen tearing but doesn't play noticeably better than balanced mode, making it one to avoid. Co-operative play may drop frame-rates further, but I didn't have a time to test this thoroughly - and most of the performance swings do seem linked to the environments rather than the onscreen action, so this might fare better than expected.

Series X is basically identical to PS5 in terms of performance, dropping frames in the same places, and generally turning in good performance despite some substantial dips. However, there is one curious difference - namely that Series X allows the game to run in a proper 120Hz container, allowing for higher frame-rates than 60fps, something that PS5 does not do. Of course, the game still suffers from intrusive screen-tearing on both consoles in performance mode regardless of refresh rate. Weirdly, VRR didn't prevent this screen tearing in my testing, even though my TV reported VRR was engaged.

Finally, Series S hits its 30fps target the majority of the time, but it does suffer from steeper versions of the same drops we see in other consoles' quality modes - plus that choppy appearance we can attribute to the lack of motion blur.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Remnant II (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 25 July 2023) - Archetype build guides and Digital Foundry PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S Technical Analysis

lol it runs at 792p in its balanced mode on ps5/SX and doesn’t even use lumen. I don’t get the need for a pro refresh, sounds nice and cozy!

People are going to be sitting around playing games at 400p on their 77” 8ktvs in a couple years just wondering what the hell people are thinking getting an upgraded system already

• Haha 1

Some of you guys know my gaming taste, how do you think I'd like this? I know absolutely nothing about it other than what I read in this thread. 

My thoughts are it's a looter shooter with souls like difficulty and systems? I'm looking for a new game to play because I'm about to beat Ratchet this afternoon.

Remnant-2-Sales_08-01-23.jpg?w=640
WWW.GEMATSU.COM

Total sales for Remnant II surpassed one million units in four days after its release, Gearbox Publishing and developer Gunfire Games announced.

Total sales for Remnant II surpassed one million units in four days after its release, Gearbox Publishing and developer Gunfire Games announced.

“To everyone who helped us achieve this amazing milestone, thank you for your unwavering support,” said Gunfire Games CEO David Adams in a statement. “This was a multi-year journey for us and we couldn’t be happier to see fans having such a great time with a game we put our heart and soul into.”

• Halal 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Remnant II (PS5/Xbox Series/PC) - 1+ million units sold in four days
2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Bravo to them and well deserved. I'm on a Boss fight that is one of the most creative boss battles I've played in a long time.

I feel like I'm missing out but I will listen to wade and just read all the great impressions of the game in here lol. Glad it's been so successful. 

15 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I feel like I'm missing out but I will listen to wade and just read all the great impressions of the game in here lol. Glad it's been so successful. 

Yeah I don't know if you would be into it. It's pretty tough and you're going to die a lot. It's a Souls shooter with rogue-like elements and it ain't easy at all. 

Really enjoying the game so far, but if I had one area that I'd critique it would be the sound. Particularly surround and/or mob noises. The game spawns things all around you, which is fine in a game like this. However, I don't know how many times stuff just ends up behind me without any audio queue. Unless something is gigantic, there are no footsteps/movement noise or anything.

Does anyone else have this challenge? Is it just a PC headset issue?

The sound design is pretty good in this game and I think what you're talking about is done on purpose to keep you on your toes. You always have to have your head on a swivel because you never know when and where enemies are gonna pop up, but they usually give themselves away anyway. When those "mini-bosses" spawn into a level you know because there's a distinct sound cue. I think the sound in this game is very well done.

Anyway I beat that boss encounter I was talking about. It's more of a three dimensional puzzle with shooting than an actual boss fight and it was challenging. Took me pretty much all of my gaming time yesterday to beat it. Now I'm in a new world with a more futuristic theme... kind of like ALIEN or something. Really love the imagination put into this game and its environments.

• Halal 1

So Remnant FA I found to be an ok game. Biggest problem I had was the game difficulty was scaled for solo or co-op. Solo was fine. 3 players was fine, at times almost easy. But 2 players had the same difficulty as 3 players, which felt overtuned. 

Has anyone dabbled with 2 and 3 player coop in Remnant 2. Is it better balanced when only 2 players or is it like Remnant FA that if you’re going to play coop you should have 3 people? 

3 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

So Remnant FA I found to be an ok game. Biggest problem I had was the game difficulty was scaled for solo or co-op. Solo was fine. 3 players was fine, at times almost easy. But 2 players had the same difficulty as 3 players, which felt overtuned. 

Has anyone dabbled with 2 and 3 player coop in Remnant 2. Is it better balanced when only 2 players or is it like Remnant FA that if you’re going to play coop you should have 3 people? 

Me and @JPDunks4 have played two player CO-OP and I know he's playing primarily with anothern partner on PC. We did fine with two. But we also played the first game with the two of us as well with @ARZ joining occasionally.

On 8/2/2023 at 2:40 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

The sound design is pretty good in this game and I think what you're talking about is done on purpose to keep you on your toes. You always have to have your head on a swivel because you never know when and where enemies are gonna pop up, but they usually give themselves away anyway. When those "mini-bosses" spawn into a level you know because there's a distinct sound cue. I think the sound in this game is very well done.

Anyway I beat that boss encounter I was talking about. It's more of a three dimensional puzzle with shooting than an actual boss fight and it was challenging. Took me pretty much all of my gaming time yesterday to beat it. Now I'm in a new world with a more futuristic theme... kind of like ALIEN or something. Really love the imagination put into this game and its environments.

The sound of the "elite" types are obvious. That's not what I'm whining about. I'm whining about the general movement sounds of your average everyday mobs and their ability to walk up to you without any audio queue. Especially when you're fighting something bigger that takes a lot of damage to defeat. It's an easy enough problem to solve in the game as it is (Just retreat a bit and they'll funnel themselves into a choke point).