AMD RDNA3 Presentation Today at 4pm EST

Mr.Vic20

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

The way they breezed over FRS3 in the reveal and then hyped up FSR2.2 tells me that AMD knows peopel are hyped by DLSS3 and therefore wanted a counter solution to announce. I'm betting its not close to ready and we won't see it trully used in a game until Q2 of later of next year. 

Said they were working on it before they knew of DLSS3. I think the proximity of the announcement means they’re probably not lying.  FSR took a long time to be announced after DLSS was a thing.

But I agree we won’t see it soon.

• Halal 1

Thank you for all your love boys. 

Have tests on Wed and gonna set up an appointment at where my mom went to on Monday. 

Also I love the dudes saying you don't need a 7800XTX for 4k when I'm sitting here at 32:9 1440p at like 36FPS in Warhammer 3. I'd like that at 120 but I imagine that's another GPU gen or 2. Modern Warfare 2 does run in the 90s which is nice.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Reviews are out.

At first, with 4k, I went "DAMN! Curb stomped the 4080 considering price!":

8qpJfwPLAoXjbb7tLZno67-1200-80.png.webp

But... then I saw the Ray-Tracing (NO DLSS/FSR) 4k benches:

MUGu7y4wrhQ5DUmuLL6WaD-1200-80.png.webp

Pretty wild that they can't even outpace a friggen 3090 Ti with heavy RT.

Impressive cards nonetheless, but I wasn't expecting that kick in the face when RT came on. 

Honestly seems about equal in value to a 4080. It’s just about a wash in rasterization at 3fps average better for the XTX but you lose significant performance when you actually need it (RT) and you will need to use image upscaling tech which will look better with dlss than fsr2, and if a game supports dlss3 then it won’t even be close. So it’s just a matter of those points are worth $200 to you or not. 

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

Honestly seems about equal in value to a 4080. It’s just about a wash in rasterization at 3fps average better for the XTX but you lose significant performance when you actually need it (RT) and you will need to use image upscaling tech which will look better with dlss than fsr2, and if a game supports dlss3 then it won’t even be close. So it’s just a matter of those points are worth $200 to you or not. 

I mean, when RT comes on, it's a 34% performance increase with the 4080 vs the 7900XTX for 20% more money. If nVidia slashes the 4080 by $100-200 as is rumored, then there's really no contest. I listened to Linus' review in the BG, and I remembered why I rarely watch his reviews: his entire video review was based on AMD hypothetically providing extreme performance gains through driver updates :silly:. It's certainly possible, as the 6000 series did get nice improvements through drivers, but, jfc, review what you have in front of you and not guesses about 12+ months from now when you're spending $1k :lol:

4080s have been extremely easy to buy due to the "bad value" reputation vs other xx80 card releases combined with the overhype of these 7900 cards. Now that these reviews are showing AMD getting beat by a 3090 Ti when RT is enabled, I wonder if 4080s will start to sell and nVidia won't actually cut prices.

8 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I mean, when RT comes on, it's a 34% performance increase with the 4080 vs the 7900XTX for 20% more money. If nVidia slashes the 4080 by $100-200 as is rumored, then there's really no contest. I listened to Linus' review in the BG, and I remembered why I rarely watch his reviews: his entire video review was based on AMD hypothetically providing extreme performance gains through driver updates :silly:. It's certainly possible, as the 6000 series did get nice improvements through drivers, but, jfc, review what you have in front of you and not guesses about 12+ months from now when you're spending $1k :lol:

4080s have been extremely easy to buy due to the "bad value" reputation vs other xx80 card releases combined with the overhype of these 7900 cards. Now that these reviews are showing AMD getting beat by a 3090 Ti when RT is enabled, I wonder if 4080s will start to sell and nVidia won't actually cut prices.

Honestly I’m trying to just give AMD a little credit for once and being a bit generous :P

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

Honestly I’m trying to just give AMD a little credit for once and being a bit generous :P

I think I’m just shocked considering the hype. I mean F, even I was wondering if I made a bad choice with the 4090 after the AMD presentation. I thought the XTX was going to somehow sit between the 4080 and 4090 at only $1k :lol:

If the RT performance matched up with the non-RT, I’d consider it a huge win for AMD and enthusiasts, but that’s a ridiculous performance gap.

• Haha 1

Just now, Spork3245 said:

I think I’m just shocked considering the hype. I mean F, even I was wondering if I made a bad choice with the 4090 after the AMD presentation. I thought the XTX was going to somehow sit between the 4080 and 4090 at only $1k :lol:

Same. AMD is decent for their benchmarks but this misses the mark. I guess maybe with driver improvements it could come close.

Legit duopoly. Our only hope is this being an anomoly due to the glut of existing 3xxx and 6xxx cards. Looking at Microcenter and ya all the 4080+ are sold out. 

Just past my local MC on the way to my Dr appointment. No one is lined up. Ugh I dunno if I should try to stay up or whenever I wake up in the middle of the night just end up staying up. I guess i can do recce whenever I wake up. If there isn't a line I'll go back at like 5-6am to commence the wait.

10 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

If the RT performance matched up with the non-RT, I’d consider it a huge win for AMD and enthusiasts, but that’s a ridiculous performance gap.

I kind of expected the RT performance gap,  maybe not quite so high, but I actually thought  in raster it was going to make up for that by being closer to the 4090.

But also there was part of me that thought maybe the actual numbers would be less than a 4080 even in rasterization just due to it being AMD, so idk, overall it’s a good card I think. But we aren’t at the stage of high end competition for nvidia still.

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

I kind of expected the RT performance gap,  maybe not quite so high, but I actually thought  in raster it was going to make up for that by being closer to the 4090.

But also there was part of me that thought maybe the actual numbers would be less than a 4080 even in rasterization just due to it being AMD, so idk, overall it’s a good card I think. But we aren’t at the stage of high end competition for nvidia still.

Same since I took AMD at their word. Oh well 200 dollars is 200 dollars. I'm not gonna front is they have a 1.2k Red Devil I'd yolo on it.

It seems like the XTX holds it's own in a price/performance battle with the 4080, assuming you don't use RT and the game doesn't support DLSS...

I really want AMD to challenge nVidia, but it's really hard to justify buying a $1000 card and then having to turn off or turn down the most interesting and impactful graphics tech out there right now. I guess I'll be waiting to see if the 4080 price cut does actually materialize and for it to actually be available.

59 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

relative-performance-rt_3840-2160.png

It's about what I expected for RT performance. It's less than I expected for raster, but not by much. It's a respectable card with some limitations. They are still a full gen behind Nvidia on RT performance, but they are otherwise competitive and the card is smaller. 

Performance per Dollar FPS 3840x2160

Average Gaming FPS FPS 3840x2160

Its really going to be game specific exactly how much better 4080 is then, this looks much more favorable for the XTX than the toms hardware bench. This is closing the gap vs last gen still isn’t it?

39 minutes ago, stepee said:

Its really going to be game specific exactly how much better 4080 is then, this looks much more favorable for the XTX than the toms hardware bench. This is closing the gap vs last gen still isn’t it?

What RT games did techpowerup use vs TomsHardware?
I’m not a fan of the “gen behind” argument/justification, as the RTX 3000 series is second gen as well, and the 3090 Ti is, at worst, 1:1 with a card that should be trouncing it otherwise.

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

What RT games did techpowerup use vs TomsHardware? I’m not a fan of the “gen behind” argument/justification, as the RTX 3000 series is second gen as well, and the 3090 Ti is, at worst, 1:1 with a card that should be trouncing it otherwise.

idk but the gulf between 4080 and XTX is about twice as big on tomshardware so I don’t know what else the reason could be!

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The question and the statement in my post weren’t 100% related :p 

For closing the gap vs last gen I just meant isn’t this more competitive in RT vs a 4080 than they were last gen to a 3080 - I don’t think saying they are a gen behind is justification either, it’s just simply not good lol

edit: The point more in my post is really either toms hardware or tech power up’s RT bench (or both) isn’t a good representation because they are too far apart from each other for that to be true

30 minutes ago, stepee said:

For closing the gap vs last gen I just meant isn’t this more competitive in RT vs a 4080 than they were last gen to a 3080 - I don’t think saying they are a gen behind is justification either, it’s just simply not good lol

edit: The point more in my post is really either toms hardware or tech power up’s RT bench (or both) isn’t a good representation because they are too far apart from each other for that to be true

I checked, Far Cry 6 and Watch Dogs Legion seem to run better on AMD with RT compared to other games, which allowed the avg to be better on TechPowerUp. Both used about 7 games (just a lot of different games outside of Cyberpunk and Control).
It’s just crazy and so incredulous to me how in most RT games the XTX is losing to a 3090 Ti. That shouldn’t be possible.

Just now, Spork3245 said:

I checked, Far Cry 6 and Watch Dogs Legion seem to run better on AMD with RT compared to other games, which allowed the avg to be better on TechPowerUp. Both used about 7 games.
It’s just crazy so incredulous to me how in most RT games the XTX is losing to a 3090 Ti. That shouldn’t be possible.

I always had faith that AMD could find a way!

• Haha 1

I checked, Far Cry 6 and Watch Dogs Legion seem to run better on AMD with RT compared to other games, which allowed the avg to be better on TechPowerUp. Both used about 7 games (just a lot of different games outside of Cyberpunk and Control).
It’s just crazy and so incredulous to me how in most RT games the XTX is losing to a 3090 Ti. That shouldn’t be possible.

Wasn't that the assumption coming out of their presentation? Even AMD's own presentation gave no indication that it would be better than even Nvidia's last gen cards. Their comparisons were made against their own cards and RT performance seems to like up with what they said.

• True 1

3 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Let's keep it real though Dr Su choose C.R.E.A.M. over giving gamers true value. 

I do wonder what the profit margin on these are, if AMD could have hit nvidia hard by pricing these in line with their previous cards rather than nvidia’s yolo pricing.

8 minutes ago, stepee said:

I do wonder what the profit margin on these are, if AMD could have hit nvidia hard by pricing these in line with their previous cards rather than nvidia’s yolo pricing.

It's probably better then RDNA2 whatever that was. Using N5+n6 and having such small dies to make is good for them. I wonder will AMD use the savings to make more GPUs or are they just gonna pump the capacity savings into more CPUs?

Probably Epyc since it goes brrt. 

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

I guess if all the cards they can make still sell, then there is no point not doing this, will be interesting how store shelves are in a few months!

Actually wait galaxy brain strat. Guys the 7900XTX is a POS go buy 6800-6950XT or 3080-4090s. (Dont want to have to bust a cap for a 7900xtx) Shyt buy my 6800XT slightly OCed. 

38 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Wasn't that the assumption coming out of their presentation? Even AMD's own presentation gave no indication that it would be better than even Nvidia's last gen cards. Their comparisons were made against their own cards and RT performance seems to like up with what they said.

Not really, no. AMD didn’t compare with nVidia because the 4080 wasn’t out yet.

Not really, no. AMD didn’t compare with nVidia because the 4080 wasn’t out yet.

No, they compared it to their own cards which indicated and I don't see how their numbers are off. After their presentation, I was expecting something that was a little between the 4080 and 4090 for rasterization and around the 3080 for RT. That's about what we got.

I wonder how well this card will water cool. It seems it runs pretty hot, but that might be due to the design.

Not like I'm even in the market for a card right now. There's nothing within a reasonable price really worth upgrading over my 2080TI.

• True 1