AMD RDNA3 Presentation Today at 4pm EST

Mr.Vic20

12 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

If you honestly expected 3080 performance with RT enabled on AMD’s next gen $1k flagship that they were hyping for 8k gaming, you may be the only person who expected that. :p 

AMD said the 7900XTX would be a whole 8FPS improvement in RT for Cyberpunk compared to the 6950XT. Anyone that thinks the difference in RT performance between the 6950XT and 3080 is only 8FPS is crazy.

RADEON_RX_7900_2.jpg

35 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

AMD said the 7900XTX would be a whole 8FPS improvement in RT for Cyberpunk compared to the 6950XT. Anyone that thinks the difference in RT performance between the 6950XT and 3080 is only 8FPS is crazy.

RADEON_RX_7900_2.jpg

A “whole 8fps” vs the 13 listed there for the 6950XT is over a 60% improvement, which is over a 30% improvement vs the 3080 at native 4k. :p 

7 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

How would you compare RT performance between the 6950XT and Nvidia's last gen offerings?

Not sure I see why that matters: this is a new gen. The excuse last gen was “this was AMDs first attempt”, now the excuse is “AMD is a gen behind” despite their gen2 cards not being even close to on par with nVidia’s gen2 when you take non-RT performance into consideration.

Also, I had a small edit in the reply you quoted, I must’ve been editing as you were replying. :santasun:

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Not sure I see why that matters: this is a new gen. The excuse last gen was “this was AMDs first attempt”, now the excuse is “AMD is a gen behind” despite their gen2 cards not being even close to on par with nVidia’s gen2 when you take non-RT performance into consideration.

Also, I had a small edit in the reply you quoted, I must’ve been editing as you were replying. :santasun:

I get that it's a different generation. Sucks they didn't do better, but it's also within expectations since AMD doesn't seem to have exaggerated performance here. I'm not defending the card's ray tracing performance; only saying it's what everyone should have expected because AMD told everyone this is what we should be expecting.

Just now, Ghost_MH said:

only saying it's what everyone should have expected because AMD told everyone this is what we should be expecting.

Yea, but in the graph you posted it is actually significantly better than a 3080 at native 4k. No DLSS and RT maxed, a 3080 gets 15-16fps iirc. 21 may not sound like a lot more but it’s a 31-40% improvement over it. This showed hope of better RT performance in these cards.
There was a ton of hype for these to the point that 4080s weren’t selling at all because of it. Now, post-review drop, there’s a lot of disappointment rolling through all the reviewers and most of reddit, and it’s tied to the RT performance. If you check the bigger YouTube channels, their hyperbolic clickbait review titles are things like “got overhyped”, and “not as powerful as we hoped”. To say that this is what everyone already knew just seems a bit disingenuous is all. :p 

8 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Yea, but in the graph you posted it is actually significantly better than a 3080 at native 4k. No DLSS and RT maxed, a 3080 gets 15-16fps iirc. 21 may not sound like a lot more but it’s a 31-40% improvement over it. This showed hope of better RT performance in these cards.
There was a ton of hype for these to the point that 4080s weren’t selling at all because of it. Now, post-review drop, there’s a lot of disappointment rolling through all the reviewers and most of reddit, and it’s tied to the RT performance. If you check the bigger YouTube channels, their hyperbolic clickbait review titles are things like “got overhyped”, and “not as powerful as we hoped”. To say that this is what everyone already knew just seems a bit disingenuous is all. :p 

Fine. It's what everyone SHOULD have known. Better? :p

I guess the lesson here is don't fall for clickbait titles?

12 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

I guess the lesson here is don't fall for clickbait titles?

I watched the event live, as did others who were surprised of the RT gap not shrinking, it has nothing to do with clickbait. No one expected AMD to be 1:1 with nVidia’s RT, but no one expected the gap to increase from 20-25% to 33-40% in most games (with exceptions, like FC6). :p 
It’s like their RT performance barely even improved (maybe even went backwards) and this is just brute force gains.

40 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Great got my results back from the biopsy. Lymph node in my jaw is normal but the mass on my collarbone couldn't be diagnosed. "Rare epithelioid cells seen in a background of abundant blood" Shit maybe.

Well fuck, if one of these two things had to be good news today I’m glad it’s this one!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

6 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Watching people suddenly care about wattage is the most amazing thing ever. "Oh yea, well a 7900XTX is going to cost you an extra $200-250 during the lifetime of the card in power bills over a 4080!"
Like... fuck, stop. :rofl:

With how power hungry these new cards are, I actually do care about this.  It makes me want to wait to see if whatever comes next is more power efficient and draws less.

But I'm paying these stupid prices anyways.  Maybe much later when they go on clearance.

24 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

With how power hungry these new cards are, I actually do care about this.  It makes me want to wait to see if whatever comes next is more power efficient and draws less.

But I'm paying these stupid prices anyways.  Maybe much later when they go on clearance.

I don't think most care about $200 over 3-4 years when they're dropping $1-1.2k on flagship cards. 

6 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I don't think most care about $200 over 3-4 years when they're dropping $1-1.2k on flagship cards. 

I think a lot of people dropping 1.2k on a card won’t even have that same card in two years anyway :P

I see concerns with power cost pop now and then through the years, but it’s always so insignificant compared to everything else. $200 over 4 years would be like $4 extra a month on your electric bill, which I don’t believe unless you run it constantly, but even if so yeah it’s like whatever.

Usually when people talk about it they are discussing saving cents a month like the kind of money you can make up for by looking at the ground while talking a walk.

I think it’s something most people only look at when they are trying to justify something else.

23 minutes ago, stepee said:

I think it’s something most people only look at when they are trying to justify something else.

That's my point, it's an inane argument against the 7900XTX vs 4080. Of all the reasons to get a 4080 over a 7900XTX, this one ain't it. "The 7900XTX draws so much more power it's going to wind up costing the same as the 4080 anyway!" is just... :silly:

If you want to complain about the wattage being high in general, that's a completely different thing as to what I'm talking about.

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

That's my point, it's an inane argument against the 7900XTX vs 4080. Of all the reasons to get a 4080 over a 7900XTX, this one ain't it. "The 7900XTX draws so much more power it's going to wind up costing the same as the 4080 anyway!" is just... :silly:

If you want to complain about the wattage being high in general, that's a completely different thing as to what I'm talking about.

I know it’s your point; I’m agreeing with you :P

On 12/16/2022 at 5:51 AM, Spork3245 said:

Omg the price. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B356KYJ6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered this but I dunno. Might cancel it.

On 11/3/2022 at 1:28 PM, Spork3245 said:

They’re REALLY pushing 8k gaming

I like stunning graphics as much as anyone but 8k just has never had that allure, I don't see 8k as a standard for quite some time. 4k is the sweet spot when it comes to TV's I think and viewing difference. I've never seen an 8k display and knew it right away. You have to sit a few feet away to even enjoy the benefits really. Man I love my LGC1 83" I do wish somehow AMD could release something that truly catches Nvidia off guard, how fantastic would that be?

10 minutes ago, HardAct said:

I like stunning as much as anyone but 8k just has never had that allure, I don't see 8k as a standard for quite some time. 4k is the sweet spot when it comes to TV's I think and viewing difference. I've never seen an 8k display and knew it right away. You have to sit a few feet away to even enjoy the benefits really. Man I love my LGC1 83" I do wish somehow AMD could release something that truly catches Nvidia off guard, how fantastic would that be?

I can definitely hold off on 8k for awhile. Really the 3080 felt like the first truly great and bells and whistles 4k card and even then then by 4k I mean dlss performance. If it wasn’t for ray tracing it would be time to look into 8k soon but now we have something else requiring twice the performance more valuable than more pixels at this point in time.

I guess it will depend how much the 5000 series is about price more than performance and how much amd is still playing RT catch-up, but I’d say 2-4 years and we will be ready to really move to 8k on pc. Which should coincide well actually with 8k oled/microled being reasonably priced!