AMD RDNA3 Presentation Today at 4pm EST

Mr.Vic20

WWW.TECHPOWERUP.COM

Aftermarket cards + overclocking shows some decent gains at 12% faster than stock, which was the performance I was expecting normally. The reference card is power limited with only 2x8 pins. Looks like AMD will also have a room for driver optimizations, as several reviewers have shown some games are barely any faster than the RX 6950.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Is there much of a difference vs a regular C2? The 42” C2 is on sale for $800

Looks like they’re essentially the same except the TV features like image processing and smart features are removed on the Ultragear. The Ultragear also adds USB3 and a display port in, but I can’t imagine that’s worth the extra money. Is the heatsink more aggressive for the monitor? Can’t seem to find anything.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

what was it?

No idea. Just woke up this morning and it was on. Decided to careful reinstall everything and it's working. Maybe I thought I turned it off but it actually was asleep when I disconnected it from the power supply. 

• Shocked 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2023 at 9:59 PM, cusideabelincoln said:

He's narrowed down the issue to some kind of flaw with the reference vapor chamber.  More research is needed to differentiate between design flaw or manufacturing defect.

Absolutely crazy that orientation matters.

AMD RX Radeon 7900 XTX (reference) Failure rate would be 11% opposed to 1%

We cannot vouch for the numbers ourselves, but there are issues with the latest reference AMD graphics cards (RX 7900 XTX), mostly related towards failing vapor chamber cooling. 

Because of temperature issues and that broken refrigeration system, the vapor chamber seems to have too little liquid. The cards that run into issues report back temperatures up to 110 degrees Celsius, reducing their efficiency by 20 percent. AMD cannot replace faulty RX 7900 XTX cards as tyhey're running out of stock—it takes at least two weeks to ship replacements, and the company has repeatedly said it cannot provide a replacement date—which does not help matters.

In a recent interview, Scott Herkelman, senior vice president and general manager of the company's Graphics Business Unit, said that just a limited number of cards were affected. RMA instances are 9–11% per thousand of cards, although they should be less than 1%; several AMD partners (AIB) are reporting the failures. Users who have been unable to obtain a new RX 7900 are likely to accept a refund

AMD has definitely been downplaying the issue, and they aren't being pro-active about it. This should probably be a recall, and they should be contacting the people who might have gotten the bad batch of vapor chambers.

@Zaku3  Might be a while before you can get a replacement. Haven't heard anything about these cards dying, so you'll just have to live with reduced performance. Could try to get a refund from AMD and buy an aftermarket card.

5 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

I still plan to get an RX 7800 to couple with my new 5800x3d when it comes out later this year. I'll let you all know how it is! 

If you want a 7800XT I think it might be better to just get a 6800XT+ now. Probably be cheaper for the same performance. 

4 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

6800XT is going to draw more power and produce more heat than the 7800. The 7800, navi 32 chip, is going to be more similar in size to my 5700xt.

I mean, if power and heat are that big of a concern for you, isn’t the 4000 series the better option?

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

Because:

That’s nVidia right now. Maybe next gen it’s AMD. Buy what’s best, not brands.

I have an irrational brand loyalty to AMD for a variety of reasons. I have had nvidia before (long ago) and have no problem recommending them to others when there is a good reason to. But as for me, I want what I want. Plus as I already mentioned, navi 32 isn’t out. How can one evaluate a chip that isn’t out? Only by making assumptions based on the larger navi 31. I’m not in a rush and will see how it goes. 

2 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

I have an irrational brand loyalty to AMD for a variety of reasons. I have had nvidia before (long ago) and have no problem recommending them to others when there is a good reason to. But as for me, I want what I want.

Brand loyalty on something like PC hardware has never made sense to me, but you do you :p 

2 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

Plus as I already mentioned, navi 32 isn’t out. How can one evaluate a chip that isn’t out? 

Track record so far

37 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Brand loyalty on something like PC hardware has never made sense to me, but you do you :p 

Track record so far

I will and I’ll let you know how it is! I think my comment about heat and efficiency was misunderstood. I just don’t need a giant chip for the games I play or the monitor I’m feeding. If I bought nvidia I would consider the 4070 most likely. But the truth is, nearly everything I play runs really well on my 5700xt. It has aged surprisingly well. My cpu upgrade benefitted me more than a gpu would in many instances since I play a lot of grand strategy and rts. 

9 hours ago, Massdriver said:

I will and I’ll let you know how it is! I think my comment about heat and efficiency was misunderstood. I just don’t need a giant chip for the games I play or the monitor I’m feeding. If I bought nvidia I would consider the 4070 most likely. But the truth is, nearly everything I play runs really well on my 5700xt. It has aged surprisingly well. My cpu upgrade benefitted me more than a gpu would in many instances since I play a lot of grand strategy and rts. 

Yea, the 4060 or 4070 non-ti would be the equivalent cards you’d be looking at. As long as you don’t care about RT the 980 Ti (AMD equivalent is the Fury X, I think?) and up will still max (minus the aforementioned RT, especially since those cards don’t support it :p) pretty much anything you throw at it at 1080p, and mostly at 1440p too, and get around 60fps or higher. Heavy RT games and/or 4k is when you potentially need to look at $1k+ options. 
Just to note: the 4090 is the coolest running GPU I think I’ve ever owned. When not running a game all of the fans are completely off and it’s typically around 32-33C, under load with the fans around 50-60% I don’t think it’s cracked 65C for me. My 3080 Ti would get to 75-80C in the same games with the fans ramping up to 80%. My 3080 Ti was an EVGA FTW3 Ultra which has much larger and more aggressive cooling than the base 3080 cards, and it certainly never shut off the fans when idle (they would be around 25-33% iirc) and would usually be around 40-45C or so at idle iirc.

4 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Just to note: the 4090 is the coolest running GPU I think I’ve ever owned. When not running a game all of the fans are completely off and it’s typically around 32-33C, under load with the fans around 50-60% I don’t think it’s cracked 65C for me. My 3080 Ti would get to 75-80C in the same games with the fans ramping up to 80%. My 3080 Ti was an EVGA FTW3 Ultra which has much larger and more aggressive cooling than the base 3080 cards, and it certainly never shut off the fans when idle (they would be around 25-33% iirc) and would usually be around 40-45C or so at idle iirc.

I'm feeding a 1440p 144hz monitor, so I'm just looking to kick up my fps a bit in certain titles.

Sounds like you have a great cooler on the 4090, but the heat generated from the GPU is still entering you room. For some people this is a plus if they live in a cold location. For people like me that live in South Texas where temperatures on half the days in May last year were 100+, it's a negative.