Confirmed on Sony's Official PlayStation Podcast: PSVR games are not compatible with PSVR2

Brian

• Brian changed the title to Confirmed on Sony's Official PlayStation Podcast: PSVR games are not compatible with PSVR2
2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Why wouldn’t they be? I’m so confused. I wonder if this is a miscommunication and they just mean the new controllers won’t work on games that use the wands?

That’s what I am hoping it is. I can’t imagine PSVR not working with PSVR2. I have been buying a ton of PSVR games in preparation of PSVR2.  

Why would devs even have to update their games? There's no way each PSVR game is, itself, calculating positional data? That would be crazy if Sony left that to be done in software and didn't just build things so games just get headset and controller coordinates from the hardware...like every other VR solution on the planet. I mean, I know Sony is really stupid sometimes, but that would be incredibly stupid in ways I can't even begin the describe.

7 hours ago, silentbob said:

They did say they might get some of the original VR rereleased on the new headset. If they charge previous owners money for the upgrade, time to tell Sony “Fuck You” They are just fucking greedy and they know people will re-buy if they loved that game 

Even that doesn't make any sense. It shouldn't be anything more than a resolution change and controller remapping. That should be a very easy patch. If we look at PC games, VR games there don't know if headset or controller tracking is inside out of base station. The games can't tell the difference. The hardware is just feeding coordinates. Seeing how easy it is to port PSVR to PC/Oculus and vice versa, it seems to be the same there. This seems very transparently just Sony being Sony.

On 9/16/2022 at 7:20 PM, Brian said:

That’s what I am hoping it is. I can’t imagine PSVR not working with PSVR2. I have been buying a ton of PSVR games in preparation of PSVR2.  

Well, that was a bad choice from the get go. Sony never said there would be BC, and people have been speculating for a while that it wouldn't. Im sure many of them will get upgrades though. Sony's track record for BC has never been great.

Seriously though, I'm not the least bit surprised. I also don't really care, personally, but I get why it pisses others off. Im sure everything will be ported. 

People insisting that backwards compatibility should be easy are way off the mark though. Move controllers are almost 15 years old, they are fancy wiimotes. Maybe im wrong, but I don't think its simple to go from that to controllers actually designed for VR, created with the hardware. Last time, it seemed the headset was created around the controllers, instead of Vice versa. 

If the price isn't ridiculous, im in for sure.

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

People insisting that backwards compatibility should be easy are way off the mark though. Move controllers are almost 15 years old, they are fancy wiimotes. Maybe im wrong, but I don't think its simple to go from that to controllers actually designed for VR, created with the hardware. Last time, it seemed the headset was created around the controllers, instead of Vice versa. 

If the price isn't ridiculous, im in for sure.

How the controllers work should be irrelevant, though. The console should be doing nothing more than feeding raw coordinates to the game. I don't see how games should care how those coordinates are generated. I need to see some interviews with game devs here because it would be crazy if every PSVR game engine had to reinvent how to track the Move controllers. Every Wii game didn't have to reinvent how the controllers worked. As long as the game was using the senior l sensor bar, the console just fed the game coordinates. The only time that wasn't the case was when games opted to use relative location tracking using just the gyroscopes in the Wiimotes like Skyward Sword. Move, however, uses the camera for absolute location tracking. I mean, Sony isn't exactly known for making things easy for devs so I guess there's a chance their VR is a fully software implemented solution with no low level hardware support. I just don't see how you wouldn't end up with tons of jank and an inconsistent experience between games. Even then, that wouldn't be like rebuilding and entire game for a new console. It's just adding support to a new controller.

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

This is a bad argument and excuse. If the controllers aren't compatible, then the controllers aren't compatible and you'd need to use the wands for those games - for the headset itself to not able to display the game is absurd. There are plenty of SteamVR games that will not work with knuckle controllers and you need to use the old-style Vive-Wand (or other) controllers, but any headset and tracking method still work. If the controllers simply aren't compatible then there's two options: 1.) the dev can patch in support for the new controllers, OR, 2.) you need the wands to play it. That's really as complicated as it should be.

Let's not make shitty excuses for shitty practices, my friend.

I can see the complication with how the games are tracked differently (PSVR2 doesn't use a camera IIRC), but still... I was looking forward to PS5-powered VR with the new headset. I have Star Wars, Astro Bot, Blood & Truth, No Man's Sky, all ready to go, yo. :( 

I'll hook up the original one if I have to, but I was fully expecting BC on this. If they re-release games to be compatible with PSVR2, cool, just let me upgrade for free.

I'm rather annoyed that we won't get BC. I had long assumed that I'd be able to catch up on all the psvr games I missed by not owning the first Gen hardware. The VR library is so limited as is. Sure would make it easier to justify the cost (whatever it ends up being) if there are a bunch of games ready too go at launch.

• True 1