Logtech G Cloud handheld revealed - Releases 10/17 - $349 ($299 if you preorder)

Brian

So it’ll be an android handheld. I do think there is a market for that, I’m always surprised there isn’t a decent one for a reasonable price. Nobody has been able to just do an android portable with decent specs, a switch like form (minus detachable joycons), and release it at $200 or so. Like a switch lite but android. Maybe this is that!

Of course now I have steam deck, but that’s expensive and not everyone wants a full pc.

33 minutes ago, stepee said:

So it’ll be an android handheld. I do think there is a market for that, I’m always surprised there isn’t a decent one for a reasonable price. Nobody has been able to just do an android portable with decent specs, a switch like form (minus detachable joycons), and release it at $200 or so. Like a switch lite but android. Maybe this is that!

Of course now I have steam deck, but that’s expensive and not everyone wants a full pc.

It still has the problem is being an android device. So why buy it over a cell phone. People prefer all in one devices unless the value propositions is high. (Deck or Switch)

3 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

It still has the problem is being an android device. So why buy it over a cell phone. People prefer all in one devices unless the value propositions is high. (Deck or Switch)

I think because most people have a cell phone but also most people use their cell phone every 30 seconds for something so they don’t like doing serious gaming sessions on them. That’s the case for me anyway, the problem with cloud phone gaming was always that I’d want to check something; and then have to go back and load the streamer again and that process wasn’t great.

Also could be good for kids who don’t have phones yet. 

You can buy a phone and a backbone and make it a dedicated handheld android console, but anything with a decent chip is going to make the cost higher than you’d want for something like this. 

14 minutes ago, stepee said:

I think because most people have a cell phone but also most people use their cell phone every 30 seconds for something so they don’t like doing serious gaming sessions on them. That’s the case for me anyway, the problem with cloud phone gaming was always that I’d want to check something; and then have to go back and load the streamer again and that process wasn’t great.

Jeff Grubb brings this up a lot. He doesn't like the idea of something like XCloud games because he gets nervous running down his phone. He likes a dedicated device just for games. So even if it's as easy as an android phone with controller built on to it, I guess that fits the bill as dedicated gaming device. :p

I remember a bunch of people hypothesizing about this kind of device when the Steam Deck was announced. I think there's a market, but it's a nascent one for the moment.

The most surprising thing to me about this is that it's not in a partnership with Microsoft, and that makes me nervous about the price. All the console manufacturers (and you can even throw Valve in there with the Steam deck) make their money on the back end with software sales. If Logitech doesn't have some kind of deal in place with Microsoft and everyone else, it's hard to imagine the price being compelling.

However, I don't think such a deal is entirely out of the question. That's basically the business model for most video streaming devices. Fire TVs, Rokus, Apple TVs, all want you to sign up for HBO, Disney, and whatever else through them, so they get a cut of your monthly fee. If hardware makers like Logitech could arrange a similar deal, they could probably make a compelling device at a decent price.

I suppose that's likely what the Tencent partnership is about, but Tencent is such a sprawling conglomerate, it's hard to know exactly what kind of deal they've made and what of the companies they're invested in will be involved. Riot games is partnered with Microsoft to stream everything on Xcloud. Epic has their own store, but no streaming service I'm aware of. I suppose if Logitech could get a cut of cosmetic sales on Riot games, that could be something, but who knows.

Overall, the corporate deals behind this device are much more interesting to me than the actual device.

2 hours ago, stepee said:

Also could be good for kids who don’t have phones yet. 

You can buy a phone and a backbone and make it a dedicated handheld android console, but anything with a decent chip is going to make the cost higher than you’d want for something like this. 

I would buy an Android Switch Lite the second it hits the market. The crappy Chinese ones are always tempting, but they always have shit WiFi and crappy screens and that just ruins it for me. Last year there was the never actually released Lenovo Legion Play.

I have been tempted by the GPD XP Handheld. That looks pretty great, but it's also $400. I'm not sure $400 is what I want to pay for something with a MediaTek processor.

17 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I would buy an Android Switch Lite the second it hits the market. The crappy Chinese ones are always tempting, but they always have shit WiFi and crappy screens and that just ruins it for me. Last year there was the never actually released Lenovo Legion Play.

I have been tempted by the GPD XP Handheld. That looks pretty great, but it's also $400. I'm not sure $400 is what I want to pay for something with a MediaTek processor.

Yeah, exactly the issue! There isn’t something out right now that seems like it would be worth the money. They all have some big catch to them. 

With the deck I’m not going to be searching for this kind of device anymore, but if someone does come out with a good one I’d still consider it.

10 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

10 hours ago, stepee said:

Yeah, exactly the issue! There isn’t something out right now that seems like it would be worth the money. They all have some big catch to them. 

With the deck I’m not going to be searching for this kind of device anymore, but if someone does come out with a good one I’d still consider it.

Have you guys watched Youtubers like Taki Udon, Retro Dodo, and Retro Game Corps? I would recommend them if you are looking for something like this.

While the retro handheld market was largely a practice of compromises from about 2018 to 2021, the past year has seen some releases of the type that you guys are talking about.

The Ayn Odin is pretty much exactly what you guys are talking about. Very few compromises for a piece of hardware that runs from about $200-$300 depending on which of the 3 models you get. More like $200-$250, because the Pro model is largely superfluous imho. And the performance between the Lite and Base is surprisingly close. The Lite is running a Dimensity 700, while the Base(and Pro) have a Snapdragon 845. Coupled with a nice fan, the performance they get out of that 5 year old mobile processor is really impressive. 

ihc0qfbgodc71.png?auto=webp&s=8d90f959b0

The Odin is the yellow one sitting between the Switch and Switch Lite, to give you an idea of the size.

My friend bought one so I have given it a quick try. The build quality is excellent, unlike a lot of the retro handhelds I think one would be hard pressed to distinguish if from major first party hardware.

With all that said, I am not just trying to sell the hardware. Personally I am not really interested in it. I prefer my handhelds smaller and my D-pad to be in the right place for a retro handheld.

And while the Odin seems to be mostly agreed to be the gold standard right now in the market, it has been out for over half a year and copying it seems to be where the market is going so I wouldn't be surprised if it is rivaled or surpassed in not too long. But that is the problem with Android and Windows handhelds right now. As soon as they get to market there are 5 others breathing down their necks.

Which, just fyi, Ayn is also releasing some cool looking Windows based handhelds(Ayn Loki) soon, as well. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • Brian changed the title to Logtech G Cloud handheld revealed - Releases 10/17 - $349 ($299 if you preorder)

In all seriousness I think I'm going to try and buy a Deck. I lay in bed a lot and with how fuckin impressive you guys say it is I don't see any reason I wouldn't like it. This will have to be in a few months because I really splurged on the PS5. But I lay in bed and could be playing amazing looking games while doing so. 

• Like 1

On 8/2/2022 at 10:32 AM, stepee said:

nVidia had a great one. Shield Portable.

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

nVidia had a great one. Shield Portable.

I have one and the shield tablet with controller/bracket :P

Its just outdated now and it’s size/gamepad/display are all things that need to be improved as well. It was cool at the time though, definitely ahead of its time.

6 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Maybe this 

WWW.AYNTEC.COM

The most powerful Android and Windows gaming handhelds at the best prices. Shop our Odin and Loki handhelds today.

Odin is probably the best thing like it I’ve seen so far, probably would have gotten one if it wasn’t for da deck.

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

TBF, I'd only want it for emulating Gamecube and earlier consoles. Is emulation easy on the deck?

Honestly the easiest it’s ever been for me because emudeck installs and sets up so much of it in one install process. I use it for emulation pretty much daily and it’s been a joy for that yeah.

• Thanks 1