Eidos: SquareEnix may have sold us to Embracer to make room for Sony aquisition

crispy4000

"If I read between the lines, Square Enix Japan was not as committed as we hoped initially. And there are rumours, obviously, that with all these activities of mergers and acquisitions, that Sony would really like to have Square Enix within their wheelhouse. I heard rumours that Sony said they're really interested in Square Enix Tokyo, but not the rest. So, I think [Square Enix CEO Yosuke] Matsuda-san put it like a garage sale."

That, D'Astous suggests, may explain the $300 million price tag for three AAA studios and a host of long-running IP, including the blockbuster Tomb Raider franchise. By comparison, Embracer purchased Gearbox in a deal worth $1.3 billion.

I don't love Square being bought by Sony, but it's not unexpected after Microsoft declared an acquisition war.

Sony's grip on Japan has totally slipped since they've stopped producing handhelds.  Shoring up Dragon Quest is precisely what they need to regain relevance in their home country.  Japanese publishers no longer give Sony the preferential treatment they once did, and that's never coming back the way it once was.

My biggest concern would be the projects Sony will be willing to greenlight.  Will everything try to be AAA?  Will we stop seeing Square games on Nintendo consoles?

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

But we were just starting to get timely FF releases on PC damn it! Oh, we weren't? And they were over priced? Well then, carry on! 

Late PC ports priced higher than discounted PS versions... sounds right up Sony's alley.

• Halal 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

Bro, I get it: you like Xbox. But lolllllll 

I'd like Playstation too if I could find one. This is the longest into a generation I've gone without getting the newer system. I refuse to play the PSPoor version of any of these newer games, so either they release multiplat or I just don't get to play them for now.

As for my post though.. go look at Square Enix's website, and count the number of Squeenix-developed games that are releasing for Xbox in the near future. You could probably fit them on one hand. When I joke that Xbox won't be missing out on anything, it's because they likely wouldn't be getting it regardless.

I thanked the heavens when they sold Eidos to Embracer Group.

6 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

But we were just starting to get timely FF releases on PC damn it! Oh, we weren't? And they were over priced? Well then, carry on! 

But at least I have a PC

What I don't have is a device that will only ever be useful for like 3 games. 

Nor do I even really want that. 

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

But at least I have a PC

What I don't have is a device that will only ever be useful for like 3 games. 

Nor do I even really want that. 

The consoles used to be more useful because so many of their games didn’t come to PC in the first place. 

Nowadays, PC players get to wait for timed exclusives to be ported, like every other platform.  It’s still going to be worse on the consoles regardless with all these acquisitions.

Ew, but it's not games I find concerning. No, it's anime and manga. Sony already owns a few anime studios and nearly every day and date anime service for much of the world, including the US. For anime distribution, it's pretty much Sony and then Netflix, a distant second. Them also owning Gangan Comics along with franchises like Full Metal Alchemist, Space Dandy, Black Butler, and My Dress Up Darling is a bit much. I mean, it's not as bad as them buying someone like Bandai Namco, but it still a lot. Take something like Gangan's current big hit, My Dress Up Darling. Sony would own the manga, the studio that handled the anime adaptation, and the distributor that handles the license everywhere that isn't China and Taiwan. Hell, they even own Sacra Music, the label the singer for the anime's opener belongs to.

That's what the anime industry needs. Their very own Disney.

• 2 weeks later...
3-1-394x218.jpg
TWISTEDVOXEL.COM

Square Enix is currently looking to sell stakes in the company, and potential buyers include the likes of Sony, Tencent, and Nexon. During its Fiscal Year results conference call, Square Enix revealed that it is looking to sell stakes in its studios to potential buyers, such as Sony, in order to improve capital efficiency. It is speculated that Sony, Tencent, and Nexon

12 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

A few more quarters like this and Sony gonna get them for cheaper than Insomniac. SE better hope NFTs work out :p

SE still owns some of the most important video game properties of all time. The IP's alone are worth billions.

I don't want them sold, but if they are going to, I hope it's Sony.