Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (Remake Part 2) - "An Excellent But Inconsistent Experience" (Digital Foundry Technical Review)

Keyser_Soze

38 minutes ago, stepee said:

Sounds like it should be a good game to show “this is why” when the ps5 pro comes out since this appears all gpu bound and should run fine with fidelity mode at 60fps on the pro.

Exactly why I am getting a pro. 

2 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I might wait for a patch tbh. Really disappointed in the performance and graphics mode.

I'm surprised because I'm really picky. It plays fine and looks amazing. And, they may never patch it lol. 

3 hours ago, Biggie said:

Okay you HAVE  to play in graphics mode. Performance mode is fucking ugly. Jesus. 

I’ll replay the section I did in the demo at 30fps, see if I can stomach it better.  FFXVI’s felt better from what I tried, and it’s jarring coming off 60fps in Intermission.

Performance mode wasn’t super offensive to me, maybe because I’ve been playing some Switch games lately.

You guys better get used to 30fps because from here on out until the end of this generation a majority of games will run at that framerate. That's why a Pro could fix this issue. 

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

You guys better get used to 30fps because from here on out until the end of this generation a majority of games will run at that framerate. That's why a Pro could fix this issue. 

That is ridiculous for a system touted as a next gen console. I got 30fps on my PS4 for god sake.

Just now, Biggie said:

That is ridiculous for a system touted as a next gen console. I got 30fps on my PS4 for god sake.

Oh I agree it's ridiculous. But for some reason 30fps doesn't bother me. In fact I'm going to go play right now and explore this beautiful open world. 

47 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Nah its just disappointing a game so big and advertised as spectacular is worse than Remake.

They advertised it as an open world game as opposed to linear Midgar.  No one should be shocked by performance mode running worse than Remake.

I wouldn’t get my hopes up for a big improvement to the performance mode but they surely could at least patch in motion blur to the fidelity mode. Especially for oled users, 30fps already shows more visible judder on oled due to the instant response time whereas lcd actually smooths it out with its blur. Then you don’t even have motion blur in the 30fps mode and it’s not going to be great. 

And yeah, definitely a game where a 40fps mode would have helped a lot. 

I bet it’ll look great next year at better than 4k image quality at 120fps tho!

• Sicko 1

This game fuckin rocks! It's already better than Remake and I just had an epic boss fight. The flow of this game is tremendous. The open world is massive with plenty of things to do. There is fast travel too.

The graphics are so good. 

33 minutes ago, best3444 said:

This game fuckin rocks! It's already better than Remake and I just had an epic boss fight. The flow of this game is tremendous. The open world is massive with plenty of things to do. There is fast travel too.

The graphics are so good. 

I’ve played a couple of hours and it is pretty damn good. It had a disappointing start for me with the graphic/performance problems but I’m over it. The story is fantastic as well as the graphics. 

8 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I’ve played a couple of hours and it is pretty damn good. It had a disappointing start for me with the graphic/performance problems but I’m over it. The story is fantastic as well as the graphics. 

I am in 

Spoiler

The swamps and beat the gigantic snake. Epic fight. Yea, I wish it was 60fps but I'm enjoying it regardless. 

27 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I am in 

Hide contents

The swamps and beat the gigantic snake. Epic fight. Yea, I wish it was 60fps but I'm enjoying it regardless. 

Yeah 60fps would’ve been great but it is what it is. I’m just enjoying the game and it’s great so far. 

Also I switched back to performance mode. Graphics take a hit but all that jarring and jank while exploring was giving me a headache. Performance certainly doesn’t look as good but it’s smooth atleast. Especially during combat. 

Combat feels worse to me in 30fps mode.  It’s enough of an action game that it matters.  But I found that dialing the camera sensitivity down a notch makes the judder more tolerable, even if it makes the game feel a bit weightier.  Think I’ll stick with it in graphics mode until I can’t take it anymore, or the game gets a proper patch.

Also, that’s a pretty surprising start plot-wise.  I’m here for it.

1 minute ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Work has been extra "fun" this week and I'll just be getting to crack into this game tonight! Can't wait! 

I look forward to seeing which mode you choose. I could not tolerate graphics mode. It seemed so jarring when exploring and in combat. I went back to performance and I'm enjoying it much more. 

5 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I look forward to seeing which mode you choose. I could not tolerate graphics mode. It seemed so jarring when exploring and in combat. I went back to performance and I'm enjoying it much more. 

I typically default to graphics mode, gulp.

11 hours ago, Biggie said:

@best3444 When you 

Reveal hidden contents

That was a cool scene. 

Yea, if you guys can tolerate a washed out look performance mode is ok. I like crisp vibrant visuals that I get in graphics mode.

I'm about to play now!

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (Remake Part 2) - "An Excellent But Inconsistent Experience" (Digital Foundry Technical Review)
8 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Also, that’s a pretty surprising start plot-wise.  I’m here for it.

Haha yeah, I was like "oh they're going to remind us of that bit at the end.... wait it's even weirder than we thought!?"

The part in particular that was weird is that they mentioned in the news cast

Spoiler

The soldier with the buster sword, and based on what Zack was seeing, that sounds like Cloud was simultaneously part of the timeline???

Does that mean Zack is not only in a parallel world, but a different parallel world from where he started where Cloud did join the group already?

• Haha 1

😆 my mom was just downstairs to let the dog out and said why does that guy have goofy looking hair. I said I simply do not know haha 😆.

Also, I've been forgetting to ask this but why does every character have short fangs? Is that a Japanese cultural thing?

1 hour ago, legend said:

Haha yeah, I was like "oh they're going to remind us of that bit at the end.... wait it's even weirder than we thought!?"

The part in particular that was weird is that they mentioned in the news cast

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

IMG-8607.jpg

• Haha 3