Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (Remake Part 2) - "An Excellent But Inconsistent Experience" (Digital Foundry Technical Review)

Keyser_Soze

25 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Well could you explain it to me? lol

Spoiler

The "Whispers" (the hooded figures you fight a number of times and at the end) were not in the original game. Sephiroth also did not show up like he does in this one. In fact, he doesn't really get showcased until much later.

The reason for that, is there is some kind of time travel or something going on. Sephiroth is trying to change things, presumably because in the original game, things didn't end well for him. The whispers show up anytime events are about to play out differently than they originally did and are there to make sure time follows the proper order.

The thing is, while things don't end well for Sephiroth in the OG, they don't end well for the rest of the world either. Huge swaths for the world are destroyed in the process. At the end of FF7R, the party begins getting glimpses of what the future the whispers are trying to protect holds and reject the timeline because they obviously don't want it to go that way. So they start fighting off the whispers so that they can decide their own fate.

Of course, this also plays into Sephiroth's hands because he also wants to change things. By fighting the original timeline, both the party and Sephiroth are going to have to fight a new battle for a new ending.

Thing is, we don't really know what Sephiroth is after, just that he's changing things.

There is also a very important scene that you get flashes of a number of times of a man with black hair (Zack) trying to escape Shinra with Cloud. Cloud is completely out of it and Zack makes a final stand to protect Cloud. This takes place *before* FF7 begins.

In the original story Zack saves cloud, but dies in the process. And him dying there is *extremely* important for Cloud becoming who he is now. I won't say how since that's not necessary to understand this much and I don't want to spoil it. But instead, in FF7R, they show us a flashback of Zack not dying and walking to Midgar with Cloud. The thing is, that cannot have happened with the Cloud we've been playing as (again for reasons I won't say). What seems to be going on, with additional evidence from what we know of Rebirth, is that we were seeing yet another timeline that's happening in parallel. We don't know what they're going to do with that.

• Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, legend said:

Hide contents

The "Whispers" (the hooded figures you fight a number of times and at the end) were not in the original game. Sephiroth also did not show up like he does in this one. In fact, he doesn't really get showcased until much later.

The reason for that, is there is some kind of time travel or something going on. Sephiroth is trying to change things, presumably because in the original game, things didn't end well for him. The whispers show up anytime events are about to play out differently than they originally did and are there to make sure time follows the proper order.

The thing is, while things don't end well for Sephiroth in the OG, they don't end well for the rest of the world either. Huge swaths for the world are destroyed in the process. At the end of FF7R, the party begins getting glimpses of what the future the whispers are trying to protect holds and reject the timeline because they obviously don't want it to go that way. So they start fighting off the whispers so that they can decide their own fate.

Of course, this also plays into Sephiroth's hands because he also wants to change things. By fighting the original timeline, both the party and Sephiroth are going to have to fight a new battle for a new ending.

Thing is, we don't really know what Sephiroth is after, just that he's changing things.

There is also a very important scene that you get flashes of a number of times of a man with black hair (Zack) trying to escape Shinra with Cloud. Cloud is completely out of it and Zack makes a final stand to protect Cloud. This takes place *before* FF7 begins.

In the original story Zack saves cloud, but dies in the process. And him dying there is *extremely* important for Cloud becoming who he is now. I won't say how since that's not necessary to understand this much and I don't want to spoil it. But instead, in FF7R, they show us a flashback of Zack not dying and walking to Midgar with Cloud. The thing is, that cannot have happened with the Cloud we've been playing as (again for reasons I won't say). What seems to be going on, with additional evidence from what we know of Rebirth, is that we were seeing yet another timeline that's happening in parallel. We don't know what they're going to do with that.

Wow thank you that helps a lot. I was wondering last night who the hell 

Spoiler

Zack was and why was he carrying Cloud toward Midgar. Cloud looked like he was about to die. 

I really enjoyed the game. Guess that’s obvious since I hardly ever finish games but I finished this one. I played on EZPZ classic mode as I just wanted the story. No way I could have beat all those boss battles. So do you recommend me playing Rebirth? I’m kinda looking forward to it now. 

• Like 1

Just now, Biggie said:

Reveal hidden contents

I really enjoyed the game. Guess that’s obvious since I hardly ever finish games but I finished this one. I played on EZPZ clsssic mode as I just wanted the story. No way I could have beat all those boss battles. So do you recommend me playing Rebirth? I’m kinda looking forward to it now. 

No problem! I can definitely understand how it would be confusing if you didn't play the OG and know it reasonably well. Most of the game is fine in not requiring you know it, but the end is much harder to follow if you hadn't. It basically requires you to go "wait, that's not right!" and "wait they're seeing the future of the OG!" etc.

If you liked this one, I suspect you'll like Rebirth. I mean, I haven't played it (other than the demo), but everything looks strictly better in Rebirth with a big open world.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Reveal hidden contents

I really enjoyed the game. Guess that’s obvious since I hardly ever finish games but I finished this one. I played on EZPZ classic mode as I just wanted the story. No way I could have beat all those boss battles. So do you recommend me playing Rebirth? I’m kinda looking forward to it now. 

I’d recommend watching the ending of Crisis Core Reunion on YouTube. Don’t play it, but that should be enough to illustrate the basics.

That goes for Best too.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, legend said:

No problem! I can definitely understand how it would be confusing if you didn't play the OG and know it reasonably well. Most of the game is fine in not requiring you know it, but the end is much harder to follow if you hadn't. It basically requires you to go "wait, that's not right!" and "wait they're seeing the future of the OG!" etc.

If you liked this one, I suspect you'll like Rebirth. I mean, I haven't played it (other than the demo), but everything looks strictly better in Rebirth with a big open world.

I played like 10 minutes of the demo. I’ll play it more in a few. But my question is how the heck is 

Spoiler

Cloud riding in that truck with Sepiroth when he just got finished fighting for his life against him  

2 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I played like 10 minutes of the demo. I’ll play it more in a few. But my question is how the heck is 

Hide contents

Cloud riding in that truck with Sepiroth when he just got finished fighting for his life against him  

It's a flashback. Cloud (and Tifa) are retelling events to the rest of the party so that they'll better understand Sephiroth. (This retelling also happens in the OG). They're basically going to tell you why Sephiroth went from hero to villain.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, legend said:

It's a flashback. Cloud (and Tifa) are retelling events to the rest of the party so that they'll better understand Sephiroth. (This retelling also happens in the OG). They're basically going to tell you why Sephiroth went from hero to villain.

Ok thanks. Now I’m really looking forward to Rebirth. 

• Hype 1

39 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I thought Sony exclusives did come to PC? 

When I looked it up it only says PS5. They don't come day one. Probably in a year it'll be in PC. 

I'm still on chapter 14 and took a break. Ill beat it in a few days. The music is so fuckin good. 

6 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

I’d recommend watching the ending of Crisis Core Reunion on YouTube. Don’t play it, but that should be enough to illustrate the basics.

That goes for Best too.

Why not play it on PS5? Audience score is 4.5/5 and it seems like other reviews gave it 8/10.

2 hours ago, Biggie said:

I thought Sony exclusives did come to PC? 

Sony exclusives come to pc about two years later now it seems. Though it’s not a sure thing. No GT7 announcement still for instance. Online games like Helldivers 2 it seems they are going to try to do the same date though. Third party exclusives like this, usually about a year. If FF16 comes out for pc this summer that’ll be a good sign for Rebirth PC early next year!

8 minutes ago, stepee said:

Sony exclusives come to pc about two years later now it seems. Though it’s not a sure thing. No GT7 announcement still for instance. Online games like Helldivers 2 it seems they are going to try to do the same date though. Third party exclusives like this, usually about a year. If FF16 comes out for pc this summer that’ll be a good sign for Rebirth PC early next year!

Thank for the clarification. I REALLY wanted Rebirth on the deck but I'll definitely play it on PS5 at launch. 

45 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

Why not play it on PS5? Audience score is 4.5/5 and it seems like other reviews gave it 8/10.

I’d recommend it to superfans willing to overlook the bad story and poor chatacters/characterizations.  Gameplay is fun, but highly repetitive.

Plus I wouldn’t wait to play Rebirth if you haven’t gotten around to Crisis Core yet.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Thank for the clarification. I REALLY wanted Rebirth on the deck but I'll definitely play it on PS5 at launch. 

If I knew it would be two years I would probably say F it but one year? I can wait that like I waited for FF7Remake. Sooo much to play still. 

• True 1

10 minutes ago, stepee said:

If I knew it would be two years I would probably say F it but one year? I can wait that like I waited for FF7Remake. Sooo much to play still. 

I can't with a release like this. But yea you have more patience than I do. 

7 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Awesome. I'm going to just wait like I said until the full version. I have watched a few users on YouTube doing a playthrough and they loved it. 

It says at the beginning if you play this part you won’t have to do it again so I’m getting it out of the way

7 hours ago, best3444 said:

When I looked it up it only says PS5. They don't come day one. Probably in a year it'll be in PC.

At the end of every trailer it says "Not available on other formats until at least 05/29/24" though I doubt it will be that soon, Remake took like a year and a half to hit PC so maybe sooner than that.

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

At the end of every trailer it says "Not available on other formats until at least 05/29/24" though I doubt it will be that soon, Remake took like a year and a half to hit PC so maybe sooner than that.

I still won't wait. I need my fix!