All new PS+ game lineup announced (Returnal, Miles Morales, Death Stranding, Ghosts of Tsushima, Demon's Souls, Gravity Rush, PS4 Uncharteds, more), you can eventually play PS1/PSP Classics you already own without needing PS+ or buying them again

SaysWho?

So, I have FF7 and 9 on the PS3. Does this mean if I pay for one of the tiers (no idea which one mind …) that I can play these in my PS4? Or will I just be able to play them without? I’m quite keen to try and get through one of them for the summer, but it would be nice to not have to find my PS3 and all the bits for it.

5 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

So, I have FF7 and 9 on the PS3. Does this mean if I pay for one of the tiers (no idea which one mind …) that I can play these in my PS4? Or will I just be able to play them without? I’m quite keen to try and get through one of them for the summer, but it would be nice to not have to find my PS3 and all the bits for it.

When a game is made available on the service, you can download it to your PS5 without being a PS+ subscriber.

So the service launched in Asia (excluding japan) today and there is some issues with PS1 games already. Some, not all, of the 1st party releases were the 50hz versions again. 

Fozzie Bear Reaction GIF

There is reason to believe the US will be fine as one of the titles that was the PAL version, Everybody's Golf, had it's trophies get listed for USA under Hot Shots Golf which is it's US/NTSC name.

On 5/20/2022 at 3:08 AM, gamer.tv said:

Apparently, yes. No idea how this works though. It's not like they can tie it to cd itself. Does the disc need to be in the console to play digitally? 

I think I missed a lot.

6 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I don't think this is correct at all. I haven't heard any complaints over performance of the emulator, just that they used 50hz versions which is dumb. 50hz -> 60hz hacks some ps1 emulators add aren't perfect and suffer from many issues.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

Maybe Sony should reach out to the old Bleem! devs. They got Ps1 games running on Dreamcast with no problem 

I have to check but I think they own parts of bleem. I know they bought out Connectix Virtual Game Station in the end. Also Bleem had a crap ton of issues and inaccuracies.

54 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Apparently, yes. No idea how this works though. It's not like they can tie it to cd itself. Does the disc need to be in the console to play digitally? 

I think I missed a lot.

The person was not talking about physical disc but PSN purchases from the PS3 (which also include PSP & Vita). The answer is when said game is released on the service he will just be able to download them for PS4 or PS5 without the needing to re-purchase or sign up for the Premium tier of PSN+. This is not like XB BC service where you can just insert the PS1 disc into the system to download, this only accounts for digital purchases only!

9 minutes ago, chakoo said:

That is a massive mistake on sony's part. It should be said that this seems to only be with if you bought at discount on PSN itself and not 3rd party seller (because how would sony know it was at a discount).

Yea, if you got pre-paid cards at a discount, you're probably good.

Since we can redownload games we purchased in the past providing they are released for the service, I'm quite curious how the day 1 list will look for japan and if any of the PS1 games I bought in the past made the list (pretty sure I bought Mr Driller at least). Gives me a chance to try out the emulator a little early.

13 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Play the Dreamcast version on your deck and don't give Sony $80 to play it. :p

Or they could have already bought it one of the many times it was on sale for a few $ and will just re-download it instead.