All new PS+ game lineup announced (Returnal, Miles Morales, Death Stranding, Ghosts of Tsushima, Demon's Souls, Gravity Rush, PS4 Uncharteds, more), you can eventually play PS1/PSP Classics you already own without needing PS+ or buying them again

SaysWho?

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

Nope, it was you. :p 

"Select" meaning the ones that are uploaded on PS5/PS4. They're very clear that if you own them, you'll be able to download them on newer consoles.

You’ll have to give me more context in that cuz maybe I wasn’t clear.

6 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

They are selectively releasing PS1 games that they allowed you to re-buy on PS3 on the PS5 and PS4 and graciously allowing you to download them for free at no extra cost. There's nothing to be salty about here, this is awesome!

5 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Nope, it was you. :p  You were insane.

"Select" meaning the ones that are uploaded on PS5/PS4. They're very clear that if you own them, you'll be able to download them on newer consoles.

Also I think there’s an 85 percent chance you’re right unless you’re privy to info I don’t have. But I think there’s a15 percent chance “select” means the ones we don’t think we can get you to buy again will be free. Slim chance but I’m too stubborn to say I’m for sure wrong. 

10 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

You’ll have to give me more context in that cuz maybe I wasn’t clear.

:raisedbrow: You making me use the search bar, are you?

On 9/16/2020 at 5:52 PM, Paperclyp said:

This has been the most bullshit info dump on both sides of any console generation ever.

I feel like we still basically know very little about how these things work, what the UI is like, etc. 

Can I put a literal PS4 disc in my PS5 and have it work? It seems like it but they have kept it vague enough that I don't fucking know. How about my digital PS4 games? 

I dunno man, the whole thing just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. And to have Keighly now dripping out new info. 

Just, fuck off. 

On 9/17/2020 at 9:06 AM, Paperclyp said:

Apologies for still being suspicious they have some bullshit up their sleeve. 

Most of my PS4 games are digital. They certainly say the machine can play PS4 games, but until they say outright that the PS5 storefront will allow you to download those PS4 games and play them, I’m going to remain suspicious. 

This is a feature they know people want and they’ve had 2-3 presentations about the machine so far. It is baffling to me that they haven’t been more clear about it. Even in the one when they unveiled PS4 back compat, they confused people with their wording with the “top 100 games” or whatever. 

I’ve had enough of the cat and mouse game. Tell me wtf I’m buying. 

On 9/17/2020 at 9:57 AM, SaysWho? said:

Out of curiosity, when he says that 99% of games will be BC out of the thousands they tested, what do you think he could mean other than nearly every game is playable on the PS5? You think it's possible that you won't be able to download games even after their PS Plus Collection allows you to d/l games and start playing them immediately?

On 9/17/2020 at 10:11 AM, Paperclyp said:

Yes. 

On 9/17/2020 at 10:20 AM, SaysWho? said:

And so when they say, "We’ve devoted significant efforts to enable our fans to play their favorites on PS5," in relation to BC, you think that means something different than what it says?

On 9/17/2020 at 10:26 AM, Paperclyp said:

You asked me if I think it's possible it might mean we can't download our entire digital PS4 library. I said yes. Do I think it's likely? I honestly have no idea. 

"We've devoted significant efforts to enable our fans to play their favorites on PS5" sure sounds good, but it's certainly vague enough that I don't trust it. Perhaps those significant efforts was this absurd PS+ package of PS4 games. 

Like, why are they promoting that instead of saying, outright, "Download your entire PS4 library to your PS5." 

The fact that they are using this vague language when they have to know it would be just an easy tick mark marketing thing to promote makes me uncomfortable. 

This ain't benefit of the doubt. You do this all the time!

This man understood:

On 9/17/2020 at 10:48 AM, chakoo said:

TBH, Nothing sony says is going to convince you when you're not willing to be convinced in the first place. :|

If there is a case of a digital ps4 title not being downloadable on the PS5 it's not sony and just the publisher being an ass. 

I feel like we're heading into the same thing here. New initiative is explained, d1p pretends it could mean anything else, thing is as described but crickets afterward. Why do we do this?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paperclyp said:

Also I think there’s an 85 percent chance you’re right unless you’re privy to info I don’t have. But I think there’s a15 percent chance “select” means the ones we don’t think we can get you to buy again will be free. Slim chance but I’m too stubborn to say I’m for sure wrong. 

Well, this could be the opposite of BC, where I'm actually wrong this time but doubled down so now I'm fucked.

1 hour ago, JPDunks4 said:

Ubisoft+ and Xbox already announced a similar partnership earlier in the year, just haven't officially announced details.  So chances are Xbox will have this same Ubisoft+ Classics as part of Game Pass.

Could happen, no doubt Microsoft would want it.  But the announced partnership thus far was only that Ubisoft+ was coming on its own.

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Well, this could be the opposite of BC, where I'm actually wrong this time but doubled down so now I'm fucked.

Ohhhh I remember that conversation. The PS+ collection bit threw me off, that was just kind of a throwaway line. 

No, you’re right I’ve been suspicious of them for a while. But I was very certain with all the scuttlebut pre launch that we were gonna get the Xbox BC treatment and I’ve been bitter ever since. 

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

They are selectively releasing PS1 games that they allowed you to re-buy on PS3 on the PS5 and PS4 and graciously allowing you to download them for free at no extra cost. There's nothing to be salty about here, this is awesome!

More gracious than Nintendo, to be fair.  You can't take any of your virtual console games forward to Switch.

• True 2

17 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Ohhhh I remember that conversation. The PS+ collection bit threw me off, that was just kind of a throwaway line. 

No, you’re right I’ve been suspicious of them for a while. But I was very certain with all the scuttlebut pre launch that we were gonna get the Xbox BC treatment and I’ve been bitter ever since. 

Scuttlebutt = fanboy wishful thinking.  No one should have had faith they'd figure out PS3 compatibility, at the least.  We also saw how poor their PS1 emulation was on the PS Classic.  Meanwhile, the best PC PS2 emulator today still suffers from input lag it can't seem to shake.

25 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Could happen, no doubt Microsoft would want it.  But the announced partnership thus far was only that Ubisoft+ was coming on its own.

Well Ubisoft+ is going to be a seperate thing on Playstation+ too.  I'd be pretty shocked if Ubisoft+ Classics aren't on Game Pass considering many of those games, which is a rather small catalog to start, have already been on Game Pass.

4 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

Well Ubisoft+ is going to be a seperate thing on Playstation+ too.  I'd be pretty shocked if Ubisoft+ Classics aren't on Game Pass considering many of those games, which is a rather small catalog to start, have already been on Game Pass.

We're seeing publishers shift games to and fro between services, like movies on different streaming carriers. So I wouldn't be surprised if the 'Ubisoft+ Classics' library is exclusively on PS+Extra... for a limited time.

It could also be possible that Microsoft is saving the announcement for their summer showcase.  That's the other scenario I could see playing out here.

29 minutes ago, Brick said:

Would I be able to claim Returnal even though I don't have a PS5 yet, so that when I do eventually get one I can download it for free? 

The 'Extra' tier that Returnal is on works like Games Pass.  It's part of a persistent subscription library.

It could still come to the basic tier as a redeemable, at some point.  But expect basic PS+ tier games to take a nosedive.  Like XBL Gold, there's less incentive to put anything good on there.

4 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Scuttlebutt = fanboy wishful thinking.  No one should have had faith they'd figure out PS3 compatibility, at the least.  We also saw how poor their PS1 emulation was on the PS Classic.  Meanwhile, the best PC PS2 emulator today still suffers from input lag it can't seem to shake.

Oh it isn’t / wasn’t wishful thinking to think they could get PS1 and 2 games running well on the ps5, and there were rumblings from people other than fanboys that it might happen. 

The PS3 is a different beast. 

Just now, Paperclyp said:

Oh it isn’t / wasn’t wishful thinking to think they could get PS1 and 2 games running well on the ps5, and there were rumblings from people other than fanboys that it might happen.

Again, that was wishful thinking after the PS Classic, and state of PS2 emulation.  It would have been very surprising for them to suddenly drop something as robust as MS has built to.

2 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Again, that was wishful thinking after the PS Classic, and state of PS2 emulation.  It would have been very surprising for them to suddenly drop something as robust as MS has built to.

I didn’t need something that robust, I just wanted them to do something at the time instead of absolutely nothing. 

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

I didn’t need something that robust, I just wanted them to do something at the time instead of absolutely nothing. 

"We were gonna get the the XB BC treatment" implies being able play most of your old games, from the disc or otherwise, with compatibility fixes/patches.

I think that was crazy to expect for the reasons I gave.  But it doesn't sound like you're happy with the slow rollout now either:

On 5/16/2022 at 1:48 PM, Paperclyp said:

“Select” ps1 games. 

Fuck off sony. 

Although being realistic, it's Sony playing catch up.

1 hour ago, Brick said:

Would I be able to claim Returnal even though I don't have a PS5 yet, so that when I do eventually get one I can download it for free? 

This isn't the $50/year PS+ we currently have, it's the new thing that works like gamepass.

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

"We were gonna get the the XB BC treatment" implies being able play most of your old games, from the disc or otherwise, with compatibility fixes/patches.

I think that was crazy to expect for the reasons I gave.  But it doesn't sound like you're happy with the slow rollout now either:

Although being realistic, it's Sony playing catch up.

I’m caught between timelines now, I felt differently at different times as I became more frustrated.

Xbox rolled their BC out relatively slowly but I would have been very happy with Sony indicating that they were going to go through the same process back at that time, even if it were gradual. Now I am more frustrated than before and less patient even if that’s not entirely realistic. If this turns out to be similar, that’s awesome, but I am just shying on the side of caution. 

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

Xbox rolled their BC out relatively slowly but I would have been very happy with Sony indicating that they were going to go through the same process back at that time, even if it were gradual. Now I am more frustrated than before and less patient even if that’s not entirely realistic. If this turns out to be similar, that’s awesome, but I am just shying on the side of caution. 

Wish it could be similar too.  Sony's older hardware (PS2 and PS3 especially) has too many idiosyncrasies.  Microsoft had their own hurdles too, but nothing quite to the same level.  I expect PS2 game rollout to be very slow.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Eh I'm not sure why you keep bring up the PS Classic. Software side was farmed out on the cheap but sony has multiple internal ps1 emulators which are solid. Not to mention there is already PS2 & PSP emulation running on PS4 in official releases (See the Remasters list) which is what they're using.

8 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Don't worry, Sony decided to make this all as confusing as possible on purpose. 

1280x720.jpg
WWW.PUSHSQUARE.COM

What PS Plus Essential, Extra, and Premium gets you - Beginning in May and June 2022, Sony will expand its PlayStation Plu...

None of it is confusing at all if you read the article. It's also pretty straight forward. The new system is 1) PS+, 2) PS+ & instant library (no different than what those who bought a ps5 got), and 3) PS+, instant library & PS Now.

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, chakoo said:

Eh I'm not sure why you keep bring up the PS Classic. Software side was farmed out on the cheap but sony has multiple internal ps1 emulators which are solid. Not to mention there is already PS2 & PSP emulation running on PS4 in official releases (See the Remasters list) which is what they're using.

Then why didn't they use them in the Classic?  It could be a situation akin to Nintendo's.  It's never a good sign to see things moving backwards instead of forwards.

All said, I'm very interested to see the PS2 emulator in action.  It's one thing to prep an emulator for remasters on a per game basis.  It's another to expect it to work more universally on a hard to emulate platform.  PCSX2 knows that struggle is real.

3 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Then why didn't they use them in the Classic?  It could be a situation akin to Nintendo's.  Never a good sign to see things moving backwards instead of forwards.

Hard to say other than a few of them were built/made for MIPS processors and not ARM (what's in the PS Classic). PS1 games on Vita are funny because they're running through the PSP emulation layer =/ With how poorly the the whole thing went down it feels like it was a project started by some arm within sony and the rest wasn't really on board.

6 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

All said, I'm very interested to see the PS2 emulator in action.  It's one thing to prep an emulator for remasters on a per game basis.  It's another to expect it to work more universally.  That's especially true on harder to emulate platforms.

There are compatibility list out there from people hacking it through CFW. It's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but really it only needed to be good for what was put out for the time. The PS1 emulator for PSP was a little rough early on but end of life was really good with high compatibility.

WWW.PSDEVWIKI.COM

Playstation Development Wiki, Hacks, PS3, PS4, PS5 and Development Information

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, chakoo said:

None of it is confusing at all if you read the article. It's also pretty straight forward. The new system is 1) PS+, 2) PS+ & instant library (no different than what those who bought a ps5 got), and 3) PS+, instant library & PS Now.

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

It’s confusing in that it’s all labeled as PS+. This would be like if MSFT named the various tiers of GamePass as Xbox Live, Xbox Live Premium, Xbox Live non-plebe, and Xbox Live Ultra. It’s dumb and confusing for those who already have the current PS+ and aren’t up to date. Sony is presenting it as “coming to PS+“ not even acknowledging the new tiers, which at a quick glance can be taken as the current model. Don’t be purposefully obtuse.

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

• True 1

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The Deckbot can tell you but I can also get your hopes up with no knowledge and say Thursday you will get an email. I'm praying to Jesus and GOD for you! 🙇‍♂️

Me too plz!!!

I need to buy this on the downlow as $650 on another gaming handheld around here for my shelf isn't easily justifiable right now. Just spent $575 on 8 ps5 games, second ps5 controller, ps5 black plates, s 2Tb seconded M.2 drive, and a ps5 controller charger and I still haven't played anything on the ps5 except 2 hours of Returnal. 

GOD I hope there aren't "Pro" versions of these consoles coming holidays next year......lol

ALL THIS: plus a planned from the ground up gaming pc build late 2023, (Scalpers will most certainly control when I do this, the plan is a 4080 Ti) starting to think I'm not that into games themselves anymore, more so the gaming tech. I could stop right now and have plenty of AAA titles to play through for the next 5Years minimum!!!