Hogwarts Legacy - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Brian

53 minutes ago, stepee said:

But ya I can’t believe how good this looks. Is it ray traced reflections you get on console? Do you not get them on balanced? That would maybe make me actually do 30fps mode instead of 40fps at least in hogwarts if I was on console. There’s so many reflective surfaces and mirrors and such here and it really looks fantastic.

Yes, raytracing on PS5 gets reflections and better colors and lighting. I believe it's 30fps but honest to God it's running just fine for me. It looks absolutely beautiful especially venturing out in the world. Inside the castle there's reflections on surfaces and mirrors. 

On balanced, no raytracing which is fine because it runs a bit better like Biggie is saying. 

16 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Level 8 seems a tad low for that quest, iirc. Make sure you do sidequests (if you go on the map, any location that has potential sidequests will have a black flag on it), etc. But yeah, like leon said, I don't think you're supposed to fight those, just sprint and run away.

I just ran passed the 3 spiders that were level 20 and then once I got to my destination the enemies were my level. 

I read to completely focus on main quests for the first 10 hours before doing any side quests. So I'm doing just fine now. The broom kicks ass.

Then you get to decorate your own personal room etc. The game just keeps impressing me. I litteraly played from 9:30am to 2:30pm. I didn't want to stop. I can't remember a game doing that to me. Maybe Ragnarok. This is so good.

33 minutes ago, Moa said:

It was either done maliciously or negligently. Given the longstanding criticisms of the goblins in HP, they probably should've just stayed away from them. If they really had their hearts set on including the goblins then they should've dialed back the antisemitic tropes and been deliberate about not invoking additional antisemitic parallels. Instead they included the literal blood libel. There's no way nobody brought this issue up in development so at best they had to decide they just didn't give a shit.

They really could have done anything else, but they didn't.

It's cool that they included at least one trans character to distance themselves from JKR's shit. I also like that the player chooses their dorm rather than their sex or gender. It's a shame their ability to be culturally sensitive didn't extend further.

The screen of the horn is being questioned if it’s legitimate. Has it been confirmed to be in the game?

Yep. The more I play the more I like. It does hold my hand more than I like but that's probably because I'm a Souls whore and am coming off Elden Ring. But it's an amazing achievement for a world so dense with lore and so many things going on all around you. Definitely seems to be a showcase for how much more the PS5 can do than the PS4 

• Halal 2

4 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

Yep. The more I play the more I like. It does hold my hand more than I like but that's probably because I'm a Souls whore and am coming off Elden Ring. But it's an amazing achievement for a world so dense with lore and so many things going on all around you. Definitely seems to be a showcase for how much more the PS5 can do than the PS4 

Definitely important to remember that they made the game with the idea in mind that a lot of the people playing it would not be the type of people who play Souls games. I was kind of expecting it. There are still tutorial parts in the second act.

Started this yesterday. Hot damn does it run nice on the 4080. With maxed out settings and full RT/balanced DLSS I stay near 120 FPS at all times. Does seem to get the occasional minor traversal stutter but it hardly bothers me. Normal gameplay is super smooth. Can crank the DLSS up to quality but then it drops to about 110 FPS.

Game looks fantastic to boot, and exploring Hogwarts' various buildings took up most of my play session. I love that there's little puzzles scattered around and just stuff happening everywhere. Earlier Harry Potter games absolutely suffered from being constrained by hardware because places often felt empty and desolate. Here, though, every hall is packed with people, and even if there's just one or two, Peeves might just fuck with them for a full minute.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

57 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Started this yesterday. Hot damn does it run nice on the 4080. With maxed out settings and full RT/balanced DLSS I stay near 120 FPS at all times. Does seem to get the occasional minor traversal stutter but it hardly bothers me. Normal gameplay is super smooth. Can crank the DLSS up to quality but then it drops to about 110 FPS.

Game looks fantastic to boot, and exploring Hogwarts' various buildings took up most of my play session. I love that there's little puzzles scattered around and just stuff happening everywhere. Earlier Harry Potter games absolutely suffered from being constrained by hardware because places often felt empty and desolate. Here, though, every hall is packed with people, and even if there's just one or two, Peeves might just fuck with them for a full minute.

idk if you’d want to do the 100% reflections, but I would at least do AO if you haven’t: 

Hogwarts-Legacy-feature-2-scaled.jpg
WWW.DSOGAMING.COM

PC gamers have figured out ways via which they can significantly improve the quality of Hogwarts Legacy's Ray Tracing effects. 

23 minutes ago, stepee said:

idk if you’d want to do the 100% reflections, but I would at least do AO if you haven’t: 

Hogwarts-Legacy-feature-2-scaled.jpg
WWW.DSOGAMING.COM

PC gamers have figured out ways via which they can significantly improve the quality of Hogwarts Legacy's Ray Tracing effects. 

I absolutely want to do 100% reflections! High quality reflections give me fucking LIFE.

Set and set!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Really glad I went with a female character (witch) instead of a warlock. Getting her some nice stuff to wear and got my wand in dust pink which is 🔥

Yeah I went with a premade female character for Lex Pennyworth (my mc) as well and I’m really happy with them, they feel like a real main character to me, not just some character creator slop.

@Phaseknox will be proud of us

10 minutes ago, Brick said:

Not that I would ever attack anyone for buying and playing the game, but reading stuff like this makes it hard for me to justify getting the game (well that and, eh, for whatever reason it never really grabbed me) 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I mean, you might not attack someone for buying the game, but that post most certainly is attacking people for buying it and putting the blame on them and that’s mostly hog(warts)wash so that particular take doesn’t move me.

Again, attack JK and drag her all day long, but that post isn’t about JK. I still stand by that encouraging people who buy the game to donate to charities helping these communities instead would be a greater net good than shaming. 

• Halal 1

Honestly the game is more LGBTQ/PoC friendly than just about any I've played in the last 10 years. JK Rowling is a huge piece of shit, but the people who made this clearly don't align at all with her values, even slightly. Or if they do, they made a game espousing the opposite virtues she claims.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

1 minute ago, Xbob42 said:

Honestly the game is more LGBTQ/PoC friendly than just about any I've played in the last 10 years. JK Rowling is a huge piece of shit, but the people who made this clearly don't align at all with her values, even slightly. Or if they do, they made a game espousing the opposite virtues she claims.

I was just thinking while looking around the classroom that honestly this game probably pisses her off to some degree lol

• Haha 1

Also the idea that this person feels they should suggest to make other people who have who knows what going on less happy based off of essentially their own economic view of how best to combat a powerful persons negative influence is completely asinine. I’m sorry I’m all for people using this time to shine a light on how bad Jk is but that was a bad post. 

8 minutes ago, stepee said:

I was just thinking while looking around the classroom that honestly this game probably pisses her off to some degree lol

I do wonder how the Chick-Fil-A algebra would've changed if the individual restaurants started serving gay-friendly promotional items and welcomed all gay people, posted pictures of gay couples up on the walls, etc. I think there's a big difference between "place that serves chicken has executives that hate and actively promote the destruction of gays" vs "people making super LGBTQ-friendly game and that technically funnels some money to someone who has very shitty views" -- like, do you boycott games that have are aligned with your goals because someone who's shitty eventually gets a cut?

It's all quite messy.

But the meltdowns from all the chuds who spite-purchased it and then were blindsided by everything they call "woke" was delicious.

• Haha 1
  • True 1

Yes, she got some money from this game. There are people who will never be ok with spending any amount of money on anything related to Harry Potter as long as she is alive and benefits from it, and I can't blame them for that. But this game reminds me that this world is bigger than JK. It doesn't belong to just her any more. New voices are helping to shape the world, making it a more diverse place. It's not hard to imagine a sequel to this game set in another time period, and/or another school. There is so much joy to be derived from this setting, it sucks to let the dark spots completely ruin it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I do wonder how the Chick-Fil-A algebra would've changed if the individual restaurants started serving gay-friendly promotional items and welcomed all gay people, posted pictures of gay couples up on the walls, etc. I think there's a big difference between "place that serves chicken has executives that hate and actively promote the destruction of gays" vs "people making super LGBTQ-friendly game and that technically funnels some money to someone who has very shitty views" -- like, do you boycott games that have are aligned with your goals because someone who's shitty eventually gets a cut?

It's all quite messy.

But the meltdowns from all the chuds who spite-purchased it and then were blindsided by everything they call "woke" was delicious.

There’s a lot of nuanced conversation that could be had around the game and it’s relation to its creator, how to show support, where your lines are drawn etc, but I just don’t think any of them involve a rant designed to make yourself seem as morally superior to large swaths of people from all over as possible.

44 minutes ago, stepee said:

Yeah I went with a premade female character for Lex Pennyworth (my mc) as well and I’m really happy with them, they feel like a real main character to me, not just some character creator slop.

@Phaseknox will be proud of us

It’s good to know that your chosen/created character in the game actually seems like the main character instead of just a generic avatar like so many chosen/created characters do in other games. How’s the game itself, is it something that I’m going to want for full price on the day that it comes out for PS4 or can I wait to get it later when it’s on sale or cheaper?

3 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

It’s nice to hear that your chosen/created character in the game actually seems like the main character instead of just a generic avatar like so many chosen/created characters do in other games. How’s the game itself, is it something that I’m going to want for full price on the day that it comes out for PS4 or can I wait to get it later when it’s on sale or cheaper?

I think the game itself is probably worth it day1 on ps4 for you, provided it’s not an absolute disaster of a port (delay could either be extra care…or a bad sign) there’s some instant scene switching Im curious how it will work on last gen but I think it should mostly still work, it’s just a UE4 game at the end of the day.

The game itself seems like a mix of Bully, a fantasy rpg, and a lego Harry Potter game.

• Thanks 1
  • True 1

I'm honestly severely concerned about the PS4/XB1 ports. The game seems to be pushing the current-gen consoles rather hard as it is. UE4 or not it seems to be doing quite a lot of tricks and has a very high level of detail, plus a lot of seamless transitions between very very large areas packed extremely densely with characters, objects, animated portraits (which I think are just more characters on a flat plane) and all kinds of real good lighting. I cannot imagine this game doing too well on a standard hard drive, let alone netbook CPUs, and the idea of a non-cloud Switch port is honestly hilarious.

That said, maybe they can pull it off? They didn't try to do a day-and-date release with the last-gen consoles so they at least know that they'll need extra work. Or perhaps want to avoid bad press because of how compromised they are?

This is all just speculation on my part, but it seems like it would be quite a feat.

• True 1

21 minutes ago, best3444 said:

How far are you guys? How many hours? Anyone get the broom yet or the ability to decorate your own study? 

I'm making good progress and it litteraly just gets better and better. I hope you guys are enjoying it as much as I am!

Answer me, dammit! I want to know if you guys are getting close to where I'm at. 

2 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I'm honestly severely concerned about the PS4/XB1 ports. The game seems to be pushing the current-gen consoles rather hard as it is. UE4 or not it seems to be doing quite a lot of tricks and has a very high level of detail, plus a lot of seamless transitions between very very large areas packed extremely densely with characters, objects, animated portraits (which I think are just more characters on a flat plane) and all kinds of real good lighting. I cannot imagine this game doing too well on a standard hard drive, let alone netbook CPUs, and the idea of a non-cloud Switch port is honestly hilarious.

That said, maybe they can pull it off? They didn't try to do a day-and-date release with the last-gen consoles so they at least know that they'll need extra work. Or perhaps want to avoid bad press because of how compromised they are?

This is all just speculation on my part, but it seems like it would be quite a feat.

I agree but what’s crazy there is a fucking switch port! How!

Im super curious for when those ports come out what they actually did. 

It might actually be one to just wait on until you can play it in current gen because I think part of the charm is how magical it really looks and how impressive it is graphically is part of what’s helping to sell that.

3 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Answer me, dammit! I want to know if you guys are getting close to where I'm at. 

I literally only did my first class and spent hours exploring/solving puzzles. Got real into the ones with the ? and ?? blocks that you spin, thinking I had to add them up and rotate them and that there had to be some big secret when the actual solution was for like kindergarteners. :lol: There's a blackboard with a... hint? That made me think it was way more complex, which I love, but it wasn't...? Or was it? Thinking back, that blackboard didn't present a solution at all, maybe there's something to it...

• Halal 1

14 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Oh, yea, early. It just gets better and better. Do you wear headphones when playing so you can hear the stunning music and dialogue?

naaa just cuz I wear them for calls all week for work - I’m gonna get a real sound system whenever I move so just using the lg’s speakers now since they are honestly better than my old soundbar